Anyone else brave these wet conditions?

I did!

21 to 40 of 41 messages
24/09/2012 at 16:33

I wear a Gore gilet, and it's one of my best ever running investments. Got a Gore windproof jacket earlier this year, but not yet had the weather to try it out.

My main problem with rain is wearing glasses! I can't see well enough to run without them, don't wear contact lenses, and have great difficulty finding a baseball cap large enough to fit! "One size fits all" doesn't!

Edited: 24/09/2012 at 16:34
24/09/2012 at 19:07

Hey thanks for the replies guys, keep this great advice coming!

CambridgeManor, I too have glasses, and I found that even though they got soaked the cap I was wearing kept them relatively dry compared to the rest of me. Thanks for the gilet reccomendations too, I will be taking a look soon. 

Cormorant, yep gotta lose a toenail or two to "become" a runner. Am hoping it gets it over and done with over the winter so I can wear sandals or nothing on my feet come spring summer without people wondering if I have a disease

24/09/2012 at 19:16

Ok, seems I'll have to look harder for a rainproof baseball cap (or at least, a cap with a visor that won't go soggy) that will fit and not annoy me when wearing it.

24/09/2012 at 19:22

Maybe try changing the peak slightly?

The baseball cap I wore was a plain one from the olympics that I got for £10. It soaked through, and by the time I got home my hair underneath was damp too, but I am 100% sure it was better than if I didn't use one at all Good Luck looking! 

24/09/2012 at 19:44

Sorry, I'm not really up on current clothig gear to recommend a particular gilet at the moment - mine is about 8 years old I think. That's the fantastic thing about all this technical gear - it never seems to wear out - shhh - don't tell the manufacturers - I haven't had a single bit of technical gear other than socks wear out. Some is well over 10 years old.

I don't know what the material is, but it withstands a little bit of rain, but doesn't stand up to anything more than a short light shower, but it does keep the worst of the wind off the torso.

24/09/2012 at 21:05
I've been itching to get out in this weather but am resting up due to already having a bit of a chill; hopefully the rest will help me out of my current rut also.

A most enjoyable thread though with some great stories and advice. Pipeful lay I'll be up and out over the next few days.
24/09/2012 at 21:12

Just ordered an Inov8 Rain Peak 62 in size large, £12. Fingers crossed for a good fit, and good specs protection.

24/09/2012 at 21:42

I was out in it this afternoon, at about 14:00, on a regular route

http://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_1609594.html

From the 1 mile back round to the 5 mile marks, I was in water for a lot of the way, from 1 & 1/2 miles for about 400 yards, it was basically a stream-bed instead of a bridleway!

Then, at 2 & 1/2 miles, it was into a field of 'Elephant grass', which was about 8 foot tall & bent double -that meant walking through most of it.

Got home, after a steady 50 minutes to be shouted at for creating a pool of water in the kitchen
Took the edge off the fun somewhat..................

i just hope the rain's slowed down a bit for the run to work (@ 06:15) in the morning, & also tomorrow evenings club-run

Edited: 24/09/2012 at 21:43
24/09/2012 at 23:22

Hope your chill eases up soon RMR! The you can get out and start splashing about!

Richard that sounds awesome, I don't think I've ever come across any "Elephant Grass" before, coming from a slightly urban area, I assume it is just really long thick grass. I imagine that would be a pain trying to get through, even in good weather!

From what I have been told, the rain is staying, just getting lighter and more showery instead of heavy all day like today.

It's a shame really

25/09/2012 at 11:07

Just to follow up on my comment yesterday Jake - although the wind was, if anything, stronger than yesterday, the tide was higher along the sea wall and the sea spray was coming over the top as opposed to yesterdays rain, I ditched the rain jacket was a bit chilly on the way out - but felt brilliant!!!!!

25/09/2012 at 11:37

Running in vile weather is exciting and I love it!!! But today I am definitely dithering ... the kids trampoline is struggling to remain in upright position despite the leashes and stakes holding it on the ground ... I am small of stature and not entirely convinced I might not end up in the Moray Firth rather than running alongside it today!!! Watch this space!! The alternative is the turbo trainer which is almost, although not quite, as boring as a treadmill which thankfully I don't have access to!!

25/09/2012 at 11:41

It sounds like Grendel3 and cragchick have some bad weatehr today. I'm working in Nottingham today but hopefully it's really windy and throwing it down with rain when I go out on my run in Sheffield later !!!

25/09/2012 at 13:27

Richard A T; you need a dog! All muddy marks and pools of water in my house are caused by the dog! If the bath or shower is dirty that is the dog as well. The poor thing thinks its name is 'bloody dog'. Simple!

25/09/2012 at 16:15

I decided to go for a run and then changed my route at the last minute. Yes it was pouring down and I just had on a pac a mac thingy . Ended up going through a field twice as I got lost and then down the muddiest trackway. My poor new Saucony's are still drying out. This seems to be my first intro to a bit of trail running and I LOVED IT!! My 20 min run turned into an hour.  Now think I need some hybrids so can road run AND go off road when the mood takes me..... any ideas on a goog budget pair anyone? ( I just blew £90 on my Saucony Pro Grid 5's which are great for roads)

25/09/2012 at 18:37
Jake Long wrote (see)

Richard that sounds awesome, I don't think I've ever come across any "Elephant Grass" before, coming from a slightly urban area, I assume it is just really long thick grass. I imagine that would be a pain trying to get through, even in good weather!

Jake, there is a defined path through it, but due to the weather it was touching & needed forcing through

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/9ea/c7a/going-through-the-elephant-grass-gorkha.jpg

Then, there was the footpath overgrown with Nettles for 100yards, & the crumbling bankings in Half-Moon (oxbow lakes on the map link, in my initial reply)

T'was good fun, but this mornings run to work was a bit cooler (as was the home-coming)

Mindst you' it's good fell-racing weather

This is the 'Trunce' (@ Penistone, South Yorkshire) - one of my favourite (if short!) races, but the Don was iin-flood that race!!
(usually just over ankle-deep at that crossing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di1yR-BTwyM&feature=related

Edited: 25/09/2012 at 18:38
25/09/2012 at 22:08
Managed to get out but it didn't rain dammit!
25/09/2012 at 22:28
Ran to work and back today (there @ 06:15, home @ 15:30)

Combined time for 9 miles was 59:36, then the club run this evening, slightly truncated (agreed), but a wet 6.3 miles in 47:36
26/09/2012 at 09:04

In the 18 months or so I've been running, I can count on one hand the number of times it's rained during a morning run. After this morning, I can add one more finger to that hand. Five and a bit glorious miles in the dark and the rain, all before 7am. Not all that cold, but my gilet is hi-vis so went with that.

Now sat at work with a sausge sandwich whilst my running clothes are gently dripping on the floor at home and the shoes stuffed with newspaper are nicely steaming in the airing cupboard!

26/09/2012 at 21:37

l love running in the rain, but i've been in the gym a lot in the last few weeks and not been out running so much as im tapering my runs for the cusworth 10k in the 1st week of October.

Just wanted to say 2 things though, great thread and well done Jake, it's great reading some of the inspiring stories from people on here and really gives yourself a kick up the aris personally.

Other thing was to say that if you want a cheap, waterproof windshell/gillet then you wont go far wrong with the dare2b one you can get from Debenhams online just now.

l paid a tenner for mine. It's bright orange, hi viz, reflective and not a breath of wind or a drop of rain gets through which is incredible seeing as it's that thin you could "spit peas through it" as my mother would say. It also keeps you fantastically temperate in any kind of weather.

26/09/2012 at 23:12

I had a big grin on my face when I did eventually head out into the weather yesterday (waterproof top + gloves and buff), at times I couldn't run due to the force of the wind, so I only did three miles. I was the only person out on coastal path (mind you it's quiet at the best of times).  Mountain marathon weather for sure - brings back my best (and also worst) memories of KIMMs and OMMs in various locations! LOVE IT!

Today no wind to speak of so a brisk 5 in shorts and tee and tomorrow sunshine so off in search of bogs and mud in the Cromadale Hills

21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.