Anyone else have a problem with the word "race"

1 to 20 of 37 messages
20/10/2009 at 15:27

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "race"?  Every week I go out with the running club and run ever increasing distances feeling very relaxed.  As soon as I enter a race, however, on the morning the nerves start, the endless trips to the loo so that it is a wonder I get to the start line at all.  Did a 10 mile race on Sunday and was really prepared but the same thing happened.  Is it just me???

20/10/2009 at 15:43
I would assume that you get nervous and all the other side effects of that because you want to achieve something. Also the physical effort is much higher for a race.

I certainly do the loo thing myself - but I think we all do!
20/10/2009 at 15:45

Nope, happens to me everytime too , thats why there are always moohasive queues at the toilets!

20/10/2009 at 15:48

They're "events" not "races".

Racing is just so vulgar, dahling. I prefer to bimble.

20/10/2009 at 15:54
Same here - no problems setting off from home to cover 10m, but put me in a 'race' environment and its a different kettle of fish.
20/10/2009 at 16:11
Muttley wrote (see)

They're "events" not "races".

Racing is just so vulgar, dahling. I prefer to bimble.

Sorry darling, but I must prefer "races" not "events"

To me, every race is what it is, a race. I just turn up, hang about, start it, run it, finish it, home. Sometimes I might get nerves before the start like making sure every last drop of urine is
deposed from my waste disposal region, but thankfully its a rare occurance.

20/10/2009 at 16:16

Compared to how I used to feel as a whippersnapper at a judo competition, running races are a breeze!

I suppose I can get a teensy bit nervous when I'm racing for my club, cos other people are depending on you.  Especially my debut steeplechase, cos I was drafted in at short notice and had never even seen a water jump up close!   Bl00dy sh*t meself that day!  (Got over it OK though.)

20/10/2009 at 16:36
Thanks so much guys.  You have made me feel so much better and brightened my day!!
20/10/2009 at 16:58
Yaffles wrote (see)

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "race"?  Every week I go out with the running club and run ever increasing distances feeling very relaxed.  As soon as I enter a race, however, on the morning the nerves start, the endless trips to the loo so that it is a wonder I get to the start line at all.  Did a 10 mile race on Sunday and was really prepared but the same thing happened.  Is it just me???

Mutley is right they are events or training runs in a big group.

Runnerman I understand your thougts too

I've found I used to have a bit of a fret as I am doing a fair few half marathons but to be honest that is/was more about  if I'd done enough training!

To be honest the "turn up hang araound run go home" is  a good way of looking at itregarding the loos I always wait untill the absolute death when the queues have gone but sometimes the timings ave been a bit tight

SFC
20/10/2009 at 17:11

I like to think of them as 'runs' not 'races' - takes the competative bit out of the equation.

As for the loo thing..... yup, me too. I think it is subconcious programming . Either that or all the water I drink in the two days before - because 1. the books say you should and 2. to keep me on the straight and narrow by keeping my wine glass hand occupied.

Any way, whatever, I'm grateful for it, I'd rather deposit it than carry it round for 10k or 13 miles!!!!

20/10/2009 at 17:15
It's good to get the glass in the hand afterwards mind
SFC
20/10/2009 at 17:40
Too true
20/10/2009 at 18:22
As for the endless trips to the loo ... that's what bushes are for, innit?
20/10/2009 at 18:35
exactly.
20/10/2009 at 18:36
yes I guess it's a case of "Muttley do something"
Dubai Dave    pirate
20/10/2009 at 18:45
Nope direct opposite, the word race brings out all my competative instincts and makes me run harder than I thought possible but I do not lie awake worrying about it or run to the loo before the start, everything is focused on finshing as fast as possible.
20/10/2009 at 18:49
Dubai Dave wrote (see)
Nope direct opposite, the word race brings out all my competative instincts and makes me run harder than I thought possible but I do not lie awake worrying about it or run to the loo before the start, everything is focused on finshing as fast as possible.
well whatever I  call it come the day I always do my best,I'm never going to win but always aim to get the best time possible,my aim is to try and get past more people than come past me and finish strongly.HM's being my chosen distance I tend to take it steadyish untill mile 8 and have a good last 5 odd miles when a lot of people are flagging
20/10/2009 at 19:38
Although I enjoy the race after I've crossed the finish line, I actually don't enjoy the act of racing because I know it's gonna really hurt!  I always get nervous before a race, because of the effort that it will require.  I don't see the point of runners just running at their training pace in races - it's a race - run faster!!!
20/10/2009 at 19:45
Colonel that is the point  it does hurt bt ut I like the last section of a race  because its nearly over its definetley a mental thing getting through that pain  in  order to finish
20/10/2009 at 21:01

Although funnily enough, I always run faster in races than I do in tempo runs. I actually find that the more relaxed and uncaring about my time I am, the better I run. I mean, my pb's are all from several years ago and I'm not going to see them again.

Must be all those laydeez in lycra to chase

1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.