Anyone else trying to file their Tax Return on-line?

This is my time the Inland Revenue are wasting..

21 to 39 of 39 messages
25/01/2005 at 18:58
Just got to get Mr J to sign his and that's me done and dusted for returns and accounts. Might have a wee dram tonight to celebrate :-)
25/01/2005 at 21:10
Been doing mine for about an hour now. I've told them my name & address and got that accepted.

Told them I'm employed, but that has caused a 20 minute pause so far...
25/01/2005 at 23:34
Finished the first draft now, took about 2:10, great big delays while the IR system seemed to do nothing, lots of messages "the site you are accessing may be having difficulties"... Too right!
26/01/2005 at 09:51
Congrats 90 mins. I can't stay up that late to file my return, need to be up at 5am for training.
I found the employment bit the slowest, when that was finally completed went on to the self employed bit and I assumed they would have all the business details (name address etc) recorded from last year but you have to fill it all in again, so gave up at that point.
26/01/2005 at 10:57
Just finished it! Wha-hoo! Only took two hours ;)
26/01/2005 at 12:48
I've heard all the nightmare stories about filing on-line, so I did mine the old fashioned way. I am v annoyed though, as I registered as self employed with them in August....December came, still no tax return form. I rang up, they said they'd sent one out in Aug, and would send a duplicate. Duplicate took over THREE WEEKS to arrive, and didn't have all the pages attached!!! They know I'm in employment as well as my little side-earner, but clever clogs did not send the employment pages. So I went on line and printed them off.

As I now don't trust the little blighters one inch, I am hand delivering my return today!
26/01/2005 at 14:37
bg - take a receipt and they will stamp it for you. No arguments then about it having been lost/not received.
26/01/2005 at 15:30
Just registered to submit P35 stuff online.
Wish me luck :-)
26/01/2005 at 16:32
JJ - you'll be Ok, deadline is May so you should be finished by then!

I haven't tried P35 yet, probably next year for that.
26/01/2005 at 16:45
It's worth thinking about Shades, you get £250 knocked off your tax bill.
26/01/2005 at 16:59
We're trying to work out how to split our company into smaller ones so we can benefit.

On my self employed I have 2 companies with one employee each that are paid under tax/ni threshold so I'm going to look into that too.

Don't you file P35 after PAYE year end?
26/01/2005 at 17:15
yes, but I have registed now as the system will get busier the closer to May 15th we get. you also have to wait for them to send a pass code in the post and I want to have plently of time to sort out any glitches.
26/01/2005 at 17:18
My colleague phoned Centre 1 (main tax district for PAYE in Scotland) yesterday to chase a tax code for a new employee.

Apparently they have a *2 MONTH* backlog of unopened mail!!!!!
26/01/2005 at 17:24
Self assessments - 13 done, 4 to go (including my own).

If you need duplicate returns or the supplementry forms you can download the pdfs from the Inland Revenue site.
26/01/2005 at 17:35

So in 2 months they finally open your envelope, realise it was 2 days late and fine you...
26/01/2005 at 17:39
Yup.
26/01/2005 at 18:30
Unless it's your cheque, they open that straight away and cleared in 2 days!

I did mention before, my clients tax return received by Leeds TO on 4th Oct, not yet processed. I've opted to reduce her payments on account to zero so have been chasing them, they told me to ring today and after 8 attempts I can't get through, a little busy this week, I think.

When I went to the last workshop they admitted that they don't read anything put in the 'additional info' box as they don't have time, so to write separately. So why ask you to put the info on the T/R. Of course now they're merging with Customs & Excise I can only see things getting worse. Too busy designing new logos and letterheads.
01/02/2005 at 11:44
Revenue 'should pick up the bill' for website delays

The Inland Revenue should pick up the bill for the long delays experienced by tax practitioners using the Revenue's online tax return filing system, says the ICAEW's Tax Faculty.

Jane Moore, technical manager at the faculty, told the Guardian: "Lots of practitioners experienced long delays over the busiest weekend of the year. Hours were wasted because the website was not up to the demands placed on it, and the Revenue should pick up the bill."

The faculty has welcomed the Revenue's decision to allow more time for users who made "failed submissions".

The Revenue said yesterday: "We recognise that if the submissions failed our validation, you may be unable to rectify and resubmit before the deadline.

"We hold a complete record of all submissions over the weekend and if any of those failed submissions are re-submitted within 14 days of the date when we sent out the 'submission failed' message we will waive any late filing penalty notices. Any payments due should still be made by 31 January."

The faculty advised practitioners and taxpayers to keep a careful record of their e-filing problems and "the extra time and cost that this may have caused them".

It added that the Revenue's code of practice COP1 Putting things right - how to complain explains how compensation can be claimed.

Andrew Goodall
editor@taxzone.co.uk

01/02/2005 at 12:46
Very interesting Nessie. Unfortunately I think the number that reached the stage of 'submit' would have been small compared to those who were still trying to get the data input. It must have been a nightmare for practioners.

I requested a hard copy return last Tuesday, still not arrived! I printed form off the website and walked to the IR office last night to hand it it.

All my 2005 returns will be submitted prior to 30th Sept 2005, if not my clients have to find a new tax agent!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.