Anyone ever been hit by a car while out running

and pursued the driver through the courts?

21 to 40 of 73 messages
   pirate
25/04/2006 at 01:31
I got hit by a car out running on a pedestrian crossing with the light green for me on Saturday eve.

Police and ambulance attended, serious bruises, have to take 3 days off work, no work no pay for me and 2-3 weeks of no running and cycling, which means no means of transport other than taking taxi's.

Also, I live on the fifth floor with no lift...

I wasn't thinking of making a claim until I realised the extent of this incident today, when being checked out in a&e because my knee has swollen beyond recognition...

I own a horsebox and a 4x4 (both a bit worse for wear) and want to say that not all horse owners are rich bitches but... if you tow a horsebox with a life cargo in the back you should drive carefully and it is no excuse to barge into groups of runners, so I'd say make her aware.

The guy who knocked me down is a minicab driver and according to the police will be prosecuted, taken to court, sentenced to either a big fine or some weeks in jail and he will loose his licence and his job obviously. At least one idiot driver will be taken off the road!
25/04/2006 at 05:41
I have a 4x4 and horsebox, work bloomin' hard for it all and don't like the presumption that I "must be loaded".

Incidentally, I probably would be a heck of a lot more loaded if I didn't have the beast which eats lots and likes to get injured and cost me lots of money in vets bills!

I will be in Newmarket a week on Wednesday to take said beast to the vet hospital for xrays on his broken foot, we can meet and have the "horse owners must be loaded" discussion if you like?!
25/04/2006 at 07:30
Sprinting Toffee - It happened on a country road with no pavement. I was on the left of the road, facing oncoming traffic (like your always told to do).

A bunch of others were on the left of the road, and hindered her passage. She actually stopped, and did the "revving my engine, leaning on my horn" thing (oh, and swearing too, of course) before gunning her engine and swerving over to the right hand side of the road, hitting me in the process.

As a student of law, how would you say that leaves her in court?
25/04/2006 at 07:32
NB "left of the road" should read "right of the road" in the first sentence above.

:-)
25/04/2006 at 09:45
Agree with Meldy and JenB, not all us horse people are loaded, or nuts (well not most of the time). It only takes one to ruin the reputation of the rest.

Still you should persue your rights, through the courts if necessary, and take the snotty cow to the cleaners.
Monique    pirate
25/04/2006 at 11:45
In fact horse owners above all others are usually well aware of the dangers posed by motor vehicles driven selfishly, so you were unfortunate to get a "rogue" one.
25/04/2006 at 11:47
buckaroo - so there were runners on the left handside and also the righthand side of a narrow country road? doesnt sound too promisin if thats the case sorry m8, if you were all in a group the courts would say that it would be unreasonable to do this...If the group was too big to all be on one side, theyll say you should have split up...

If you were all on one side of the road youd have a stronger case, but unless there are other factors itll more likely go down as accidental even if she was out of order, id save your court costs if i was you personally m8. You say she did stop initially so thats her paying care and consideration (not very good i know) but itd be a different story if she hadnt slowed down and was driving over the speed limit or recklessly. Itd be a bit risky to pursue it in my opinion, but theres goin to be more facts there that i dont know, so up to you m8...
25/04/2006 at 11:50
at the end of the day shell always be an arrogant bitch and you can carry on enjoying yourself running! no need to go through the courts to prove that!
25/04/2006 at 11:52
doesnt sound thered be much compensation in it injury wise anyway...
25/04/2006 at 11:54
Sprinting Toffee, I doubt very much it would matter if all the runners were running side by side across the whole road...there is no excuse to drive at them! Sheesh.
Crash Hamster    pirate
25/04/2006 at 11:54
Surely failure to stop after an accident is an offence? Failure to report is an offence?

25/04/2006 at 11:56
To get any compensation injury wise - you'd need to have a significant injury - that's generally thought of as needing to last at least 6 weeks.

I would let the police give her a ticking off and leave it at that.
Crash Hamster    pirate
25/04/2006 at 11:56
...in which case the satisfaction of seeing her in court would make it worth pursuing as far as I'm concerned...sod the money!
   pirate
25/04/2006 at 12:02
I sympathise Jen, know exactly where you are coming from. Good luck with your horse, I hope its 'repairable' at not too vast a cost... let us know how you get on.
25/04/2006 at 12:02
Sprinting Toffee

Are you sure the driver has right of way??

Cos I'm not.

Wots the precedent for that then??

pirate
25/04/2006 at 12:06
I am doing my driver for dangerous driving, but reckon I have more of a case and more injuries although I sure hope its not going to take 6 weeks! Have to take 3 days off work, no work no pay for me and the rest... costs incurred for alternative transport as I cannot cycle, cancelled races and commitments I have already paid for, horses to put in full livery becxause I cannot look after them you name it! It may not seem much, but I reckon this is going to cost me at least £1000 in lost income and expenses.
   pirate
25/04/2006 at 12:08
I think the hosrebox woman can be done for dricing without due care and attention, if I am not mistaken... she will get a warning and maybe some points on her licene.
   pirate
25/04/2006 at 12:11
She should get some form of reprimande. Personally, if she drives like that, I am worried about her horses... maybe you can get the RSPA to look into that :-) that will cheese her off!
25/04/2006 at 12:23
Toffee - Buckaroo said on the last page that he wasn't looking to sue, just wants her to appreciate what she's done.

My driving instructor taught me that as a rule of thumb, the pedestrian has the right of way at all times (although they shouldn't jump out in front of a moving car, obviously).

The fact that she'd stopped, or slowed a lot, then gunned the car and hit Buckaroo, isn't the same as coming round a corner to be confronted by runners on both sides of the road, and being unable to avoid a collision. What she did was careless at minimum, and most likely dangerous.
25/04/2006 at 12:25
Even if you get nowhere with it and it ends up being dropped, it'll still be tedious and time-consuming for her to deal with so at least that'll annoy her!

I'd be so mad if that happened to me, the rude cow; it's not as if your soft flesh would have done much damage to her giant metal box is it.
21 to 40 of 73 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.