Appropriate negative splits for races

Any suggestion (%) for half and full marathon?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
12/04/2011 at 10:03
OK thanks, here.
12/04/2011 at 10:24

I read somewhere that a 49/51 split is particularly 'ideal'. It was in a book written by a RW-USA chap, and aside from the language etc, it was well written i think.....will update with link shortly

Ultimately it is an individual choice as to what works for you.  I like metronomic even splits

Joe Henderson....

Edited: 12/04/2011 at 10:27
12/04/2011 at 11:23
Thanks for that, Nick. I found what Joe Henderson was saying here, and it is an extract from the book you link to. He accepts anything from even (50/50%) up to 51/49% half-split, the first half being a little slower, but in reality that's not much - a few seconds per mile, as he says.
12/04/2011 at 12:26

Steve - yep, thats what he says.....got them the wrong way round!

I really enjoyed reading that book - another thing he goes on about, which makes a lot of sense, is to stop trying to chase PBs all the time...you will only get disappointed, and that really you should only compare the same course time, rather than race....as some races are so different you cant compare a flat fast half in early spring, with a hilly half in the middle of summer!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.