Are runner's mad/crazy

1 to 20 of 22 messages
10/01/2011 at 19:22

Are runner's mad/crazy? My friends think I and all runner's are

Okay I may wear bottoms and shorts that don't leave much to the imagination, I may go for a run first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I may go for a run in the snow, when the gritter won't even come out, or run when it's raining heavily or when it's so hot you sweat when you are not even moving but am I crazy?

GKD
10/01/2011 at 19:41
No.
GKD
10/01/2011 at 19:46
I thought not, it's just as a runner I get strange looks and told im crazy, oh well would rather go for a run than sat down being lazy watching tv or playing on a console than most my friends.
10/01/2011 at 19:48
Good to see another Irish fan here! And Paul, your not going to get a lot of people thinking you are crazy on here as we all do the same!
10/01/2011 at 19:53

It's just amazing to see how many strange looks i get when out running.

M...eldy    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:09
that could just be you ...
10/01/2011 at 20:14
lol
10/01/2011 at 20:42

Hmm, I thought we are all like that on this forum .

10/01/2011 at 22:31

I went out for a Tempo run tonight in the pouring rain and as I past my local working mens club, one of the huddle of smokers at the door said "you must be bloody mad" as I ran past.

I'm quite pleased with my "not mad enough to smoke though mate"....

Total hypocrisy from me as a reformed smoker but it shut him up.

11/01/2011 at 09:28
The fact that other people fail to understand why you run does not make you crazy.
11/01/2011 at 09:39
I have a stock answer to people who ask "are you crazy/mad/mental etc"

"I'm only mad in your world - in mine I'm perfectly normal"
11/01/2011 at 09:52
If people who don't exercise did, they would realise that it would be crazy not too.
11/01/2011 at 10:06

Yes, we're all keeeerrrrrraaaaazzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............

Or maybe we're just ordinary people enjoying an activity?

11/01/2011 at 10:26
I don't want to drink my whisky like you do
I don't need to spend my money but still do
Don't stop now a c-'mon
Another drop now c-'mon
I wanna lot now so c-'mon
That's right
that's right
I said Mama but we're all crazy now
I said Mama but we're all crazy now
I said Mama but we're all crazy now.
11/01/2011 at 11:00

Madness always needs to be understood in a social context.  Yes, it's pretty mad if you find yourself in the 1% of the population compared to the 99% who don't do anything like you.

But then again, the idea of the sum total of my life being a consumer of brainless reality TV shows while i eat nutritionally garbage pre-processed foods which clog up my arteries, drinking beer that turns my body into a glutinous wobbly mass whilst being swallowed by my armchair settee as all my muscles atrophy, my cirulatory system fuzzes up and I feel depression because my skin hasn't been exposed to any sunlight for 3 months..... well, I think that's a different kind of madness again isn't it?

In a society which seeks self-pleasure and is addicted to comfort, anything that looks or smells like discipline and voluntary hard work is going to be sneered at and considered absurd. But the greater absurdity is the value system of our culture.

"My ambition in life is to sit here and watch sky until I die". It seems to me that some people never really become alive in the first place.

11/01/2011 at 11:44
Until I started running myself I thought that all runners were Crazy Mad Bonkers.  Now I am a runner, I still think we're all crazy mad bonkers but in a good way, you understand....
11/01/2011 at 15:10

You get crazy people in all walks of life.

You can't just go generalising runners calling everyone crazy.

Although I guess, like others have said, this definition of 'crazy' needs to be contextualised i.e. to some people, even running in the snow would be 'crazy', let alone running in shorts in the snow, after dark.

And I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say it's better to be 'crazy runner' than say, some crazy person who eats people.

Even the notion of running itself to people who don't truly understand our love of running can seem crazy.

IMHO, it comes back to this gluttonous, slob-like culture England has imposed on itself. What are we, now the fattest country in Europe - consuming more alcohol, eating the least fruit/veg and most likely to die from smoking?

Running is a sport which can be taken to extremes. Anything extreme could be labelled crazy. To be consumed by something and have an absolute, unyielding passion for it regardless of morons around you that can't comprehend it is nothing to be ashamed of in my book.

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 15:11
11/01/2011 at 17:54

I had to laugh the other day. I was in the canteen and my mate asked me if my marathon training was going well. I was just about to answer when another guy turned on me and gave me a lecture on how "jogging" ( I'm not a pretencious person but that word does my head in) would lead to me being a cripple, having a heart attack, brittle bones and a whole host of other ailments. When he'd finished someone else walked in and asked to borrow a ciggie and he said yeah I'm coming to the smoke shelter now. He then walked out without a hint of understanding the irony of his rant.

Now that's mad

And he's a nob.

The nob

11/01/2011 at 18:07

That is funny CWK.

I find when people refer to anyone exercising as mad, they actually mean it as a compliment.  Sort of a "good on you, you're braver than I am" so I don't take any offence.  Nor do I think I'm special because I pull on a pair of runners and do my thing.  I'm proud of my achievements yes, but it doesn't elevate me above anyone else.  I do take exception at the kind of person CWK has just described though

11/01/2011 at 19:34

Nobody has ever said to me that I must be mad/crazy because I run. Maybe they say it behind my back.

People do ask about running and I am always ready to say "What else could I do in an hour or half an hour...not much so I go for a run and I feel good" I hope they get the hint.

I have done sponsorship and have been surprised when some of the most unlikely people tell me quietly "Actually I do some running too". I am sure that there are many who run but for their own reasons do not say much about it. Perhaps they worry people will think they are crazy/mad.

I frequently meet others while running but I am always amazed at the turnout for 10K, half and full marathons and wonder where all these people train because the numbers seem disproportionate.

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.