Are there any 'less sweet' tasting sports drinks?

13 messages
20/09/2010 at 20:58

I am slowly increasing my milage as a recover from a recent injury and I'm starting to look at energy drinks. I have tried a few in the passed but they have all been so sweet tasting. Are there any less sweet ones out there?

20/09/2010 at 22:02
Try Lucozade sports lite it is pretty fair.
20/09/2010 at 22:10
Fair... but useless as it doesn't contain enough calories.  Try the SIS drinks, PSP22 or Go.  They're not very sweet.
20/09/2010 at 22:15

The general concensus regarding Lucozade

And why would you want a 'lite' drink - chemicals instead of fructose/glucose yum not.

Just use water - add a little fruit juice of your choice and a little salt. Make it tatse the way you want. All drinks are too sweet imho - they just pander to the masses, no wonder the nation is getting fatter.

Save your pennies and make your own - orange juice seems to be a fav. I like plj.

20/09/2010 at 22:31
How about eating sweets and drinking water to wash down the taste? Or finding a bottle with a straw attachment so you can down it without having it swishing round your mouth too much.
20/09/2010 at 22:38
Gatorade and powerade are not as sweet as lucozade. Personally I think that you are better off training  your body to cope without them.
21/09/2010 at 08:15
seconds for Gatorade.
21/09/2010 at 09:07

alcohol free beer.

No i am not joking.

Has carbs, and fluid. 

I have used it when out on looooong training runs before recent injury. Go into a pub, packet of crisps, and a becks blue or whatever....lovely.

21/09/2010 at 11:20
I was reading up on different sugars and the way your body process them.  Apparently, fructose is harder for your body to use as a fuel than glucose.  It is used by your body to replenish liver glycogen but not muscle glycogen which means fruit juice is not as good an energy drink as I thought.
21/09/2010 at 11:33

I make my own - half apple (or other juice) half water and 4/10 tsp salt.  500ml water/500ml juice.

Or Taut drinks are not sweet and contain all natural ingredients.  I can't get these where I live any more.

Tried Gatorade the other week as I got it in a goody bag from a race and it was surprisingly OK.  Don't think it has any nasties in it and isn't sickly sweet.

21/09/2010 at 11:36
Just out of interest, how far are you actually running at the moment?
21/09/2010 at 16:33
I really don't mind Lucazade.  I use the powered stuff though which isn't as sweet as the bottled product.
22/09/2010 at 10:16
Thanks for the advice. I think I might have a go at making my own. Little ninja,.I'm not running very far at all at the moment. just looking adhead as if I can get over this injusy properly (itbs) I will be training for a marathon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.