As another year comes to a end....

yearly mileage & races

1 to 20 of 67 messages
27/12/2002 at 19:32
I thought it would be interesting to look back through my training log and calculate my yearly mileage. Here it is:
1,926 miles
weekly average=37 miles
number of races=25

Take a look at your own, it's surprising how much pounding our feet take.
27/12/2002 at 19:35
Yikes! Those are impessive stats Hilly.

I guess my weekly mileage often drops quite low - it got up to about 50 max, and was quite often around 15, and sometimes even lower.

Even so - I must end up doing around 1000 miles a year, which is still a lo tof pounding!
27/12/2002 at 20:08
lain, my mileage has sometimes dropped to about 26 on the odd occasion and max was A few weeks at about 57 when marathon training.

I suppose for competitive runners (racing regularly, whether against your own times or racing others)30-40 miles a week is average. I know so many who do so much more and then again many who do a lot less.

Here's hoping for another year of good running!

Happy running :)
27/12/2002 at 20:23
Hi Hilly,
I tend to add up my mileage and races at the end of the year too. It's increased every year of the four I've been running so far. This year 1600 miles and 18 races, including debut 20 milers on my way to training for my debut marathon - that one wheere you run under a big Flora sign at the end!

Just worked out that that averages out at just over 30 miles per week - wow, didn't know I averaged that many. I'd settle for the same again next year.
27/12/2002 at 20:36
Llama man-I know what you mean about mileage and races increasing. Mine are more this year than the previous 5 years. It's just so good to run though, isn't it and I love to enter different events.

I too would settle for the same next year, I'm not really looking to run more as I'm happy with what I get out of my training.
27/12/2002 at 21:59
Before we get into a macho comparison of stats, may I point out that I used to run 2000+ miles a year. I now run half of that, get injured less, and run just as fast. I do a lot of miles on my bike, however, which probably helps.
28/12/2002 at 06:44
I've never done this before & have just had a count up & it's,
3277 miles.
I know I will have done more in other years because I did not train for a marathon this year.
weekly average 63 miles
number of races 29

I don't get injured I just run faster the more miles I put in.

Tim
28/12/2002 at 10:45
greyhound, the intention was not to start up "a macho comparison of stats" as you put it. I always count up my yearly mileage and find it interesting to share with others and see what they do too.

Running is very individual and it's very interesting to see what one runnner does without incurring injury compared to another runner.

You are quite entitled to point out that you ran 2000+ miles per week and I'm sorry that this amount of miles caused you injury and glad that your present training suits you better. It is however a shame that you feel the need to make more of my intention of sharing stats information!

outrunningalongwaytoday-how do you manage to keep injury at bay and fit in so many miles. I've managed to do a few weeks at 57 miles and it did improve my running for a short while, but then tiredness was a problem and I suffered with overtraining.
28/12/2002 at 11:37
Good idea Hilly! You obviously enjoy your racing,as noted this autumn.

I've never kept a training log before this year so my first stats are
Miles: 1430
Av per week: 27.5 (looks too low!)
No of races: 15

I already knew lots of runners do far more miles than I do, but I still find it of interest to see what other people do, and find it inspiring to read about.
28/12/2002 at 11:46
I suspect part of being able to put in the miles is how biomechanically good your body is - any slight default will put a strain on the body.

Apart from my right foot I never have any problems with my right leg - it's always my left.
28/12/2002 at 11:47
Glad to see folks enjoying their running so much. Now is a good time to draw attention to it, think I'll keep a log for 2003. Might be inspirational to me this time next year.

First race next Wednesday, of 9 already enetered for 2003.
28/12/2002 at 11:57
I do lots of different things so one affects the other. Anyway. as you asked . . .

Running: 1,980 miles (best ever)
Bike: 1,200 miles (worst in a long while)
Gym: 98 visits (better than last year)
Rowing machine: 500,000 metres (crap)
Races: About 12 (quality not quantity)

But best of all injuries: none.

Racing tomorrow and if I can hold off a threatening cold I'm hoping to run a blinder
Trogs    pirate
28/12/2002 at 12:22
Erm, just to encourage those lesser beings amongst us, I'll have clocked up just over 800 running miles by the end of this year (my first full year running) and done 15 races.

As long as I keep on running and stay injury free, I'm happy
28/12/2002 at 12:25
Good philosophy Murf !!! Whats the point if we dont enjoy it
28/12/2002 at 12:25
Thanks Murf, good to keep life in perspective :-)
28/12/2002 at 12:40
Don't assume that those who bang in loads of miles don't enjoy it
28/12/2002 at 12:44
Agreed! I do a relatively good mileage (just short of 2000 this year)and enjoy it, and I think that thats my point.
Trogs    pirate
28/12/2002 at 12:44
tafkate - I can't imagine anyone doing loads of miles unless they DO enjoy it. Makes my 800 or so look pretty pathetic though and I almost didn't post because of that but then I thought, what the hell, it's better than nothing at all.
28/12/2002 at 12:50
Agreeing with 'keep on running and stay injury free', is not a judgement of anyone else.

I've been guilty of over-training in the past and hurting myself, because my goals did not include enjoying the journey. Hopefully my perspective has changed, so I now enjoy the (very few) miles I run compared to some of you.
28/12/2002 at 12:58
Laura, some of your runs are really inspirational. I still remember your 2 marathons this year and that very long off roader. All excellent runs including sticking at it in your 2nd marathon. Happy running :) is what it's all about.

Iain, I agree that biomechanics play a huge part in staying injury free. I have a shorter left leg, the reason I wear one heel raise, which was never evident until taking up running. I also have a lower back problem, a genetic problem + wear & tear, that I have a maintainace programme for to stay injury free. My right calf is is always the first place I feel it when doing too much and if I ignore the signs not long after my back will seize up. It's amazing how in tune we become to our bodies little flaws, that ordinarily wouldn't cause a problem, but for this sport called running!

Helen-good luck in your race and welcome to world of logging miles!

Murf-15 races in your first full year of running is some going! Well done, you obviously enjoy racing. I love to race/run in races! I think staying injury free and enjoying running is a goal we all share, here's to many more happy running days!

Sad isn't it but even on days when I struggle with a run, I still wouldn't say I don't enjoy my running. Have to take the good with the bad.

Happy running all!!
1 to 20 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.