Ask the Experts: Half-Marathon Injury Prevention with Sarah Connors

Find out how to banish any injury niggles

41 to 44 of 44 messages
03/09/2012 at 14:05

Hi,

That's all we have time for. Many thanks to Sarah for her excellent advice and to all of you for posting your questions.

Best of luck with your autumn half-marathons!

03/09/2012 at 15:41
Many thanks, Sarah. I'm tracking down a Pilates class & will arrange to see a Physio.
05/09/2012 at 12:07

Wolwo and calf strain

I have been there - a few times - and I suspect, in my case (hoping the example will help), reduced calf muscle strength plus nervous energy on race days (I don't belief I get nervous anymore, but who knows, so I keep an open mind) have been the main contributory factors. Yes we say we run the same pace in racing that we run in training but who monitors that? I suspect that on the occasions of my calf cramps I ran the first 21km much more easily than I intended (and felt good about it!) but that the cramps which followed were set in place long before (during the first half). 

My response: listen to good advice and carry them out - so I try to strengthen my calves (calf raising, and dropping, no weights to start with), walking up hill, long slow hilly runs; and I try to lift weights: dead lift, squats and lunges.

My suspicion is the argument about fluids must surely show up in training as well, esp if the claim about same pace running is made. Also as regular runners (you and I?) we do do our fluids, right? BUt this is not to dismiss the advice, no! just to add my own attempts to those so you cover more bases.

Here's hoping! Good luck!

Mark

05/09/2012 at 15:23

Hi Mark, many thanks for your reply. I'll look at contrentating on extra calf work. I also think i dilute my electrolytes the day before and on the day with the extra water i take on. I'll also add electrolyte tablets to a few drinks during the prep to see if that helps.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 44 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.