Ask the Experts: Half-Marathon Nutrition Q+A with Ruth McKean

Find your winning nutrition strategy

41 to 44 of 44 messages
10/08/2012 at 14:47

Which breakfast cereal/food do you think would be best for early morning runs, when I don't feel like eating at all, so only want the minimum volume-wise.  I can't do porridge, as it makes me want to wee all morning!  Cheers, GW.

10/08/2012 at 18:38

Thanks for the help Ruth! Now I know where to start once I ramp up my mileage!

13/08/2012 at 18:40
Geraldine Williams wrote (see)

Which breakfast cereal/food do you think would be best for early morning runs, when I don't feel like eating at all, so only want the minimum volume-wise.  I can't do porridge, as it makes me want to wee all morning!  Cheers, GW.

Geraldine Williams wrote (see)

Hi Geraldine,

For something light and easy a slice of plain toast/bread (no seeds etc) and some jam and honey or a small pot of natural yoghurt with a little honey and a very ripe banana or some fresh orange juice (dilute with water if wish) but if running for less than 45mins I would just get and up and go with a glass of water before you go. I hope this is useful start point. Cereal is a great recovery snack after as it has both a good source of carbs and protein.

Ruth

13/08/2012 at 18:58
smdj wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

I'm reasonably new to long-distance running: I'm currently working towards a half-marathon in October and hoping for a full marathon after that. So far the furthest I've run is 11 miles.

I find I often start to get stomach cramps around 10k, sometimes they remain in the background and I keep running the full distance, sometimes they get really bad and I have to walk or even stop. I've tailored what and when I eat on the days of my long run - usually a bagel with jam and fruit in the morning, pasta at lunch, I avoid dairy altogether, and stop eating altogether at 2.30 for a 7pm run - and while it's helped a bit, I do still get them. Do you have any other thoughts on how I can stop this from happening? Especially as I'm trying to build up my distances...

Thanks very much!

Hi

I was just checking back in case anyone has a further question and I think I missed this one, sorry! You are doing everything I would suggest although you do not mentioned fluid, do you have any sugary fluid before runs (sports drink, fruit juice etc?) If you do I would try just having water. The cause of stitches is still debated but most recent thought is that the 2 layers of membrane inside tummy wall can become irritated so not eating too closely avoiding sugary drinks like milk and the above can help as well as cutting down on fat and fibre as these can distend the tummy. Could your running style change when you get fatigued and cause you to change running style which may in some way cause this? I am just suggesting at this as I don’t know. Most people just need to change food and timing and this becomes a rare thing. If the pain was to continue after running stop then I would see your GP.

Wishing you the best

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 44 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.