At the risk of being uncharitable, why so many running spots given to charity?

21 to 40 of 75 messages
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:22

did you watch the snowdon marathon coverage this year........2000 runners........showed the 3rd place man and the second place woman walk...............they still did impressive times and got the silverware at the end..........

its the first to finish .rules of the race say nothing about walking

08/11/2012 at 10:26
Sub 4 is not slow. The world record is sub 4
08/11/2012 at 10:31

clearly not small enough.
in the gym you walk at 4mph, for ooh, about a couple of minutes?

most of the miles i did were under 12 mins. i ran the first half actually then put in walk breaks for the rest (and spent 30 minutes q-ing for the loos 4 times as well)  but as you are clearly out to put people down i see no further point is discussing it.
If you want to do a marathon without charity runners in it, then do one, no-one is stopping you, stop wingeing and get on with it. . 

08/11/2012 at 10:34
David, why not go for a good for age spot. There are guaranteed places for "proper runners" that you describe there.
08/11/2012 at 10:42
Don't worry David. Some people on here are prepared to go the extra mile to take offence at something. To be fair Max's Mum is usually made of sterner stuff.

This type of thread usually does tend to get a bit offend/offended which is why I've been a bit tongue in cheek about it. Sound off all you like but nothing will change. Go for a local marathon instead.
08/11/2012 at 10:44

seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:45

sorry SL......you could say the same arguement for sub 10 not being slow as the world record is sub 10 as well..3:59 is slow..............just the same as 5:59 is slow..when guys can run it in little over 2 hours.we are all slow runners

08/11/2012 at 10:45

Z-list celebs.  Hmmm... I'd like to think the organisers deeply regret giving Jade Goody a place, considering her attitude is now seemingly held up as an "example" of a charity runner's approach.  Waste of space.

No, the point stands - equating charity runners with a casual attitude towards training and not taking the race seriously is unfair.  Maybe you can broadly categorise charity runners into two groups:
(a) People desperate to run the marathon, who to some degree or other begrudgingly go down the charity route to gain a place.
(b) Charity fund raisers who choose the marathon as a genuine challenge which they hope will attract lots of sponsors.

By your own admission, group (a) runners are pretty much like you, .i.e. keen runners wanting to do a marathon, except with different circumstances meaning they're more likely to accept going down the charity route.  So no reason either way that they should disrespect the distance. Group (b) people are in it to raise money for a charity. Chances are they've chosen to run a marathon because it is a genuine challenge, and more likely to make people put their hands in their pockets than sitting in a bath full of baked beans, a sponsored silence or a Race4Life.  Why wouldn't these people prepare themselves just as well as any others for the task ahead?

Anyway, cracked record... get quicker and claim yourself a GFA place or go and do another marathon. 

08/11/2012 at 10:49
...................did I say anything was slow at all.............don't throw your words back at me...................and pretend I said it....................

Wake up Max's Mum
08/11/2012 at 10:51
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
Don't worry David. Some people on here are prepared to go the extra mile to take offence at something. To be fair Max's Mum is usually made of sterner stuff.

This type of thread usually does tend to get a bit offend/offended which is why I've been a bit tongue in cheek about it. Sound off all you like but nothing will change. Go for a local marathon instead.

thanks sussex (i think?) not sure if that was a compliment or not?
I should have ignored the thread really shouldnt i, must be feeling unwell this morning.
was thinking of going for the Purbeck Marathon next year, hopefully that classes as a proper marathon, not a charity runner in sight, although i dont think i'll be anywhere near Steve Ways time of 2:56 especially given all the hills. I'll have to make sure i walk all of it in order to come in under the 7 hour limit.

08/11/2012 at 10:59
What's your current PB?
I'd imagine that Nell can get in every year on a GFA or Championship place regardless of any charity entry.

Why not go for a Good For Age entry?
08/11/2012 at 11:00

There are also many other big city marathons which you can get into without a ballot - Amsterdam is a great one, Paris (enter early, but no ballot), Rome, Bacelona... I could go on.

In fact, New York, London and Brighton (and maybe Edinburgh?) are the unusual ones in being so over-subscribed.

08/11/2012 at 11:08
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Max's Mum - Cmon now, youre at risk of acting like my 6 year old son when I tell him he cant have that packet of smarties at the checkout counter

Lets all just take a deep breath before we all say something we can't take back........lol.

Friends?

Only if i can have those smarties. . .

08/11/2012 at 11:12
Smarties? I thought it cost 50p and a bag of grapes
08/11/2012 at 11:19

London's on the telly, so it's popular not just with regular runners but with people that have never even thought of running before. Same reason that the GNR is over subscribed and the BUPA Manchester 10km too.

If what you want to do is run a marathon there are plenty of options from small local races, to mid size events to big city races and even some of the big five marathons (Berlin & Chicago are not ballot entry).

It is annoying to get rejected for a race you want to do, but with the ballot in London that's just your luck. I'll be running London in April for the first time. It was my fifth attempt at the ballot and it'll be my 11th marathon.

People being annoyed at not getting a place I can understand. People that don't consider running any other marathons other than London I can't understand. I've ran some great events and met some wonderful people through running my marathons. If you don't get a London spot look elsewhere and try and again the following year.

08/11/2012 at 11:29

LOL!

08/11/2012 at 11:30
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
Smarties? I thought it cost 50p and a bag of grapes

08/11/2012 at 11:36
Which marathon did you go for in the end?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/11/2012 at 12:04
Rafiki wrote (see)

Sussex Runner - I like your idea but  wouldn't wave starts at VLM be easier? Sub four hours start at 9, post 4 hours at 9:30 - that way you could squeeze another 15000 places in? Same overheads so VLM makes more profit, slightly slower club runners get places and the charities still get to fleece everyone

That's a silly idea, it would just make the whole thing last longer.  Much better to start the slower runners first.  Anyone in a costume starts at 9am, other 4h+ runners at 9:15, elites and everyone else at 9:30.  Sorted.

Rafiki    pirate
08/11/2012 at 12:17

Good point Dave - make it easier for the marshalls and tv programmers. And to make it slightly more interesting, everyone should finish in the correct order based on their running number!

21 to 40 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.