At the risk of being uncharitable, why so many running spots given to charity?

81 to 95 of 95 messages
09/11/2012 at 13:57
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
What race are you going to do instead David?

So that all the people you've upset can find you and show you the error of your ways with a pointy stick 

09/11/2012 at 14:25

The solution to the London ballot problem is simple. We're British after all let's just replace it with a queueing system!

'Thank you for entering the London Marathon. We appreciate your business and you are now in our queueing system. Please hold, your race place will be available in 2019'.

09/11/2012 at 14:27
Tenjiso wrote (see)
Millsy1977 wrote (see)

So that all the people you've upset can find you and show you the error of your ways with a pointy stick 

Runner 1638, Gosport Half, 18th November. Get your pointy stick ready Tenjiso

Is this considered cyberbullying yet?

09/11/2012 at 14:36

Good on you David, I have to say, my pet hate is people who enter any  race and then come on here looking for advice because they haven't trained, but I really think most charity runners at London do it with a good attitude and it pushes that particular button with me when I read criticism, however good natured.

09/11/2012 at 14:40

The one that really annoys me is trying to get into the Olympic games.  It's just ridiculous the lengths you have to go to to get in there.  They could hold it annually and get four times as many people in!  Does anybody know when their ballot opens?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
09/11/2012 at 14:51
Tenjiso wrote (see)

The one that really annoys me is trying to get into the Olympic games.  It's just ridiculous the lengths you have to go to to get in there.  They could hold it annually and get four times as many people in!  Does anybody know when their ballot opens?

But if you did that, you would get bimbos from the telly, Things like that Strictly Come Dancing trying to do the Olympics

09/11/2012 at 14:53

And why not?  It's so bloody elitist at the moment!

09/11/2012 at 15:50
Chimpster wrote (see)
Tenjiso wrote (see)
Millsy1977 wrote (see)

Runner 1638, Gosport Half, 18th November. Get your pointy stick ready Tenjiso

Is this considered cyberbullying yet?

We can all look up his time and see how much of a "proper" runner he is

sub 1.15 and he can get an entry for London

09/11/2012 at 16:09

Errrr, unfortunately just so you know, Im injured at the moment so will probably be lucky to get under 2 hours to be honest...(wink).normally I guess I'd be aiming for around 1:16 - 1:17 ....... what time did you say I needed again?

oh and dont worry about the cyberbullying issue, because for that to happen means the 'victim' (that would be me) would have to care what the bully (that would be you) thinks ...... lol.

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 16:20
09/11/2012 at 16:19

Wow.... they got to you that fast David??????? You must have really upset them.

Good luck with the recovery.  Though if you are being looked after in a charity funded hospital, anything could happen 

09/11/2012 at 16:31
Chimpster wrote (see)

Just to be picky

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Actually Phil, as I donthave the ability to interview everyone, so youreasking for evidence you know I can't produce. (a bit like saying 'Well you cant prove there is alien lifeformout in outer space, therefore it can't possibly exist' - ienot being able to prove the negative, doesn't necessarily prove the positive).

That's rubbish.The premise that charity runners don't train as much as ballot runners is provable, you could have evidence. You don't personally need to interview everyone, but one of the charities (or sponsors, university, london marathon ltd. etc)  could survey their runners and ballot runners and study the training of the two groups. Your statement is just a bias assumption. It's just as bad as saying aliens do existbut you don't have any proof. Do you?!

As as to the unsavoury profits, as it has been pointed out about a million times*, all London marathon Ltd. profits go to charity

*I have no proof that it has been pointed out a million times.

Surely all you have to do is look at the results and take a representative sample, then look at the event photos to see who is wearing a charity t-shirt. Not my idea of a fun evening, but perfectly do-able.

09/11/2012 at 16:54
Tom77 wrote (see)
Chimpster wrote (see)

Just to be picky

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Actually Phil, as I donthave the ability to interview everyone, so youreasking for evidence you know I can't produce. (a bit like saying 'Well you cant prove there is alien lifeformout in outer space, therefore it can't possibly exist' - ienot being able to prove the negative, doesn't necessarily prove the positive).

That's rubbish.The premise that charity runners don't train as much as ballot runners is provable, you could have evidence. You don't personally need to interview everyone, but one of the charities (or sponsors, university, london marathon ltd. etc)  could survey their runners and ballot runners and study the training of the two groups. Your statement is just a bias assumption. It's just as bad as saying aliens do existbut you don't have any proof. Do you?!

As as to the unsavoury profits, as it has been pointed out about a million times*, all London marathon Ltd. profits go to charity

*I have no proof that it has been pointed out a million times.

Surely all you have to do is look at the results and take a representative sample, then look at the event photos to see who is wearing a charity t-shirt. Not my idea of a fun evening, but perfectly do-able.

To be honest, Id actually just rather sign up for the 'Marathon through Slough's trading estate' instead ..... seems easier.

09/11/2012 at 18:12
I have totally lost the thread of this thread Jenny. Too many quotes, quoting quotes, quoting quotes.
09/11/2012 at 18:56

who's going to sponsor David for charity so he can get a place?

11/11/2012 at 21:02
I'll sponsor him for the "slough trading estate" one he has mentioned it on another thread as well so must be keen on it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 95 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.