At the risk of being uncharitable, why so many running spots given to charity?

1 to 20 of 75 messages
08/11/2012 at 09:07

Because london, for instance, charges the charities several hundred pounds for a spot, the ballot was what, ~£30? (forgotten), so London will make far more out of the charity runners than the ballot places, sure they'd rather do away with the ballot all together.

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:08
London is a charity itself. It needs to maximise its revenue so it sells places to other charities do ??100s of pounds. Its their race so it's up to them.

Feel free to set up your own race.
08/11/2012 at 09:18

Why is it not the point David?  You say it should be about people being able to challenge themselves to run a marathon but you can do that anywhere.

People wouldn't make a 'straight' donation - they need to see someone do something like 'run' a marathon, even if it takes them seven hours.

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 09:20
08/11/2012 at 09:21

Cougie - what a brilliant idea - set up our own Runnersworld race - we could run it on the same day and the same course as London (the roads are already closed, marked and  marshalled and the drinks stations set up)  just start it 15 minutes after the last runners set off!!!!

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:27
David - why should you get an entry. You say you'll do a half decent attempt. Why not give the place to runners who will train better than you ?

(does this sound familiar ?)
08/11/2012 at 09:29

Good idea!

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:40
If you're a regular runner - you can go for a good for age place ?
08/11/2012 at 09:41

Or a guaranteed place via your running club?

08/11/2012 at 09:49

Not another "I can't get a ballot place for VLM, its not fair, I should have a place and not others who are raising money for charity", thread again.

08/11/2012 at 09:52
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I just find it annoying that next year there will be people who's idea of training for the London Marathon is not having a curry the night before and as long as they can walk the entire course it will be a success, while I won't be there at all and while I wouldnt be setting any records, at least I would make a half decent stab at running the whole race. And yes I realise I can enter other marathon etc etc, but thats not the point.

So charity place runners are more likely to disrespect the distance completely and just not train for it?  Do you have any evidence for this?

08/11/2012 at 09:54

so all running clubs have guaranteed places in the London marathon? They never told me lol!

Yes - depending on the size of the club, all UKA affiliated clubs have at least one guaranteed LM place.

It's up to the club how they allocate their places.  Many have a ballot among members who were unsuccessful in the VLM ballot, others use some sort of process to decide who has 'earned' a place.  You should check with your club, as club places are sent out around now!

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 09:54
08/11/2012 at 09:59
Off the top of my head I can think of 5 marathons within 45 mins drive from where I live. No ballots, no minimum charity donations.
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:00

if you are not good enough for a GFA place.then you are just an average Joe...........so why on earth should you get a place before those who are willing to raise money for it.........

they need to do London for the profile to raise the money....

you are just running slowly for yourself.so go and do a different marathon..a real runner like yourself doesn't need the carnival of London to help you run.you have your own motivation and talent.......

our club places were balloted for this week..........I din't bother with the ballott as its only London/

Rafiki    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:00

David - if your local running club is registered with UKA they can apply for a certain number of places dependent on the size fo the club. My local club gets 5 places as it provides marshalls and another 5 club places but we have 500 members, so its another ballot process. But no one ever said life was fair! It will make getting a plce even sweeter!

And as for the charities having to pay 10% of the £2k to VLM (actually I think its more), this probably represents a smaller figure that the charity uses in 'admin' costs! I worked for an international charity in Africa for 6 years and you'd amazed how little of your fiver you donate actually reached the 'ground' as it were!

But good luck anyway!

Rafiki    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:02

X post with Wilkie on the club places

08/11/2012 at 10:03

Don't get me wrong, Im a big fan of charity and the good it does, but it does seem like they get an awfully high number of ticket allocations, and while Im all for people who don't bother to train one iota but because they have lots of friends and contacts can raise the several thousand they need so they can trot around the course in 6 hours, going slower than I could walk it ....... seems a tad unfair to those who want to take part that might make some token effort at actually trying to 'run' the marathon but dont have access to a huge workforce or friends that can dump several grand into your kitty.

I do think your comments are a tad unfair -
I got a charity place for the last VLM (2012), it was the first marathon i had ever done. it took me forever to raise the £1600 required for Asthma UK, and a lot of effort, It also took me 6 hours to complete (running a lot of the way!) and i trained very hard. (I also completed it on 3 hours sleep and on the worst day of the month possible but thats beside the point)
I hate the attitude that just because its a charity place, people are not trying hard, and also hate the inference that because it takes 6 hours you have done it slower than a walk (how is that possible anyway?) Have you tried walking at a pace of 4 miles an hour for 6 hours? i think you mean slower than you could jog it would be more accurate?

08/11/2012 at 10:10
I think there has developed a clear split between 4hour plus walkers and proper marathon runners. Would be good to have a high profile marathon with a sub 4 hour qualifying time and leave the VLM people to have their "marathon parade"
08/11/2012 at 10:19
Also a law should be passed that no-one can say they have run a marathon if they walk so much as a step of it. (Is there anyone left to offend yet?) Go for it!
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:21

why sub 4 SR.........thats pretty slow for a regular runner..............i think it should be sub 3............

and for a non runner to run/walk in 6/7 hours takes as much of a challenge as for a regular runner to runsub 4.............none of them are going to win so neither of them should feel entitled tio take place

Rafiki    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:22

Sussex Runner - I like your idea but  wouldn't wave starts at VLM be easier? Sub four hours start at 9, post 4 hours at 9:30 - that way you could squeeze another 15000 places in? Same overheads so VLM makes more profit, slightly slower club runners get places and the charities still get to fleece everyone

1 to 20 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.