At the risk of being uncharitable, why so many running spots given to charity?

1 to 20 of 95 messages
08/11/2012 at 09:01

It seems like the only way you can get into any of the big ones like London or Brighton is to run for a charity but then you're virtually told 'raise £2k or we'll have the men in suits at your door'.

Don't get me wrong, Im a big fan of charity and the good it does, but it does seem like they get an awfully high number of ticket allocations, and while Im all for people who don't bother to train one iota but because they have lots of friends and contacts can raise the several thousand they need so they can trot around the course in 6 hours, going slower than I could walk it ....... seems a tad unfair to those who want to take part that might make some token effort at actually trying to 'run' the marathon but dont have access to a huge workforce or friends that can dump several grand into your kitty.

Or am I just being a scrooge on Xmas eve to be thinking these thoughts?

08/11/2012 at 09:07

Because london, for instance, charges the charities several hundred pounds for a spot, the ballot was what, ~£30? (forgotten), so London will make far more out of the charity runners than the ballot places, sure they'd rather do away with the ballot all together.

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:08
London is a charity itself. It needs to maximise its revenue so it sells places to other charities do ??100s of pounds. Its their race so it's up to them.

Feel free to set up your own race.
08/11/2012 at 09:14

lararse - but see that annoys me as well. So lets say they charge the charities £200 for each spot, the charities then raise say £2k for each spot so they come out with say £1800 from each spot. Sounds like a good deal alround, but when people are giving money to sponser you run, do you think they'd be happy if they knew that 10% was going straight into the organisers profit and loss sheet and not actually direct to the charity if they just made a straight donation?

All seems very profit driven and slight unsavoury to me ..... and also smacks a little of the charities hijacking what should actually be about people challenging themselves to be able to run a marathon through one of the worlds great cities to suit their own ends

I don't know, maybe Im being selfish ...... I just find it annoying that next year there will be people who's idea of training for the London Marathon is not having a curry the night before and as long as they can walk the entire course it will be a success, while I won't be there at all and while I wouldnt be setting any records, at least I would make a half decent stab at running the whole race. And yes I realise I can enter other marathon etc etc, but thats not the point.

08/11/2012 at 09:17

Cougie - Should I go up to Boris and say 'I'd like to set up another London Marathon running the exact same course, you don't mind having to double the amount of organisation needed next year do you?'

Dont think it would happen. The existing organisers have got it locked down

08/11/2012 at 09:18

Why is it not the point David?  You say it should be about people being able to challenge themselves to run a marathon but you can do that anywhere.

People wouldn't make a 'straight' donation - they need to see someone do something like 'run' a marathon, even if it takes them seven hours.

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 09:20
08/11/2012 at 09:21

Cougie - what a brilliant idea - set up our own Runnersworld race - we could run it on the same day and the same course as London (the roads are already closed, marked and  marshalled and the drinks stations set up)  just start it 15 minutes after the last runners set off!!!!

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:27
David - why should you get an entry. You say you'll do a half decent attempt. Why not give the place to runners who will train better than you ?

(does this sound familiar ?)
08/11/2012 at 09:29

Good idea!

08/11/2012 at 09:37

Cougie - Youre being argumentative for the sake of it now

http://../../smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Im not necessarily saying that organisers should go 'Ok, London 2013 next year ...... lets just make sure David has his slot and runner number 1 on his shirt, OK thats done, lets get on with organising the rest of it now.'

What Im saying is that they should open up more entries to regular runners in the ballot and give away less slots to charity (it seems they have virtually most of the slots). I don't know what the actual breakdown is between those who run for charity and those who don't, perhaps the more informed here could tell us.

cougie    pirate
08/11/2012 at 09:40
If you're a regular runner - you can go for a good for age place ?
08/11/2012 at 09:41

Or a guaranteed place via your running club?

08/11/2012 at 09:48

so all running clubs have guaranteed places in the London marathon? They never told me lol!

08/11/2012 at 09:49

Not another "I can't get a ballot place for VLM, its not fair, I should have a place and not others who are raising money for charity", thread again.

08/11/2012 at 09:52
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I just find it annoying that next year there will be people who's idea of training for the London Marathon is not having a curry the night before and as long as they can walk the entire course it will be a success, while I won't be there at all and while I wouldnt be setting any records, at least I would make a half decent stab at running the whole race. And yes I realise I can enter other marathon etc etc, but thats not the point.

So charity place runners are more likely to disrespect the distance completely and just not train for it?  Do you have any evidence for this?

08/11/2012 at 09:54
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

so all running clubs have guaranteed places in the London marathon? They never told me lol!

Yes - depending on the size of the club, all UKA affiliated clubs have at least one guaranteed LM place.

It's up to the club how they allocate their places.  Many have a ballot among members who were unsuccessful in the VLM ballot, others use some sort of process to decide who has 'earned' a place.  You should check with your club, as club places are sent out around now!

Edited: 08/11/2012 at 09:54
08/11/2012 at 09:58

Actually Phil, as I dont have the ability to interview everyone, so youre asking for evidence you know I can't produce. (a bit like saying 'Well you cant prove there is alien lifeform out in outer space, therefore it can't possibly exist' - ie not being able to prove the negative, doesn't necessarily prove the positive).

However from the list of z-list celebs who have run for charity you have Jade Goody who entered one year and then gave up after 2 miles. You have Lauren Goodger who entered and took up a spot, only to withdraw before the start of the race as it was 'too much like hard work' ..... and you have Arg from Towie who took 6 hours to do the course, roughly the same paces as if you had just walked the whole thing.

So there are 3 examples for you anyway.

08/11/2012 at 09:58

Wilkie - thanks for that. I will enquire!!

08/11/2012 at 09:59
Off the top of my head I can think of 5 marathons within 45 mins drive from where I live. No ballots, no minimum charity donations.
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2012 at 10:00

if you are not good enough for a GFA place.then you are just an average Joe...........so why on earth should you get a place before those who are willing to raise money for it.........

they need to do London for the profile to raise the money....

you are just running slowly for yourself.so go and do a different marathon..a real runner like yourself doesn't need the carnival of London to help you run.you have your own motivation and talent.......

our club places were balloted for this week..........I din't bother with the ballott as its only London/

1 to 20 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.