Attacks by cyclists on runners

Anyone else experienced this?

21 to 40 of 67 messages
09/09/2012 at 20:21
Never mind, it was an oblique reference to your post
09/09/2012 at 20:23

Ok I just looked at that thread, and I see that you're deaf. My comment was aimed at Stevie, not you, but it was thoughtless and a bit ignorant, I'm sorry.

09/09/2012 at 20:28
It is not an issue but like i said please make it orginal. People with headphones make me cringe as losing your hearing although not one of the worst things that can happen, is in the least case scenario a bloody inconvienience.
09/09/2012 at 20:50

I was not wearing head phones, the attack was from the front and I was as far to the side of the path as possible.  The cyclist does not just need anger management rather he could do with a night in the cells and a criminal record.

09/09/2012 at 22:05

I run along the River Lea towpath a lot and usually it's fine.  However whilst we're moaning about bike-related snipes, can I rant quickly about some tw*t last week.  I cycled up on to the pavement with my 4 year old daughter, who's got a seat on the back of the bike. This was because the road was very busy with buses and traffic pulling over, and I'm not going to take a risk with traffic with daughter on the back.  The pavement was very wide and pedestrian free. Some old dear starting swearing at me to get back on the road and she was going to report me to the police for cycling on the pavement, even though I slowed right down and gave her a wide berth.  Wanted to go and punch her TBH but refrained as I'm the bigger person

Trogs    pirate
09/09/2012 at 22:27

I know of an instance where a cyclist rode at and knocked over a runner during a race.  The runner was on the left hand side of a fairly narrow country road, as directed in the race instructions, and was running music free.  The cyclist was part of a sportive event coming in the opposite direction.  Said cyclist didn't stop or make any apology and when the sportive organisers were eventually identified and contacted, they seemed equally unconcerned.

cougie    pirate
09/09/2012 at 22:52
This nob on a bike sounds like a complete idiot. I'm sure he'd come off far worse than you if there was a collision.

I have seen runners in races on open roads running on the wrong side of the road looking down and with their iPods on. Sonits not runners or cyclists - just stupid people.
10/09/2012 at 09:28

If you're running on the road properly (towards on-coming traffic) the cyclist would have to go around you, end of.  Hold your ground, stopping to make the point I necessary.

I never yield to cyclists when I'm running if I'm on the pavement, but if I'm running towards one on the road I make an effort to stick close to the verge, especially if there's traffic following them.

There are people who bevave badly because they can - they know there's no come-back, so just stand up to it and learn them a lesson good & proper!

It would be very unwise for a cyclist to hit a pedestrian, not least a runner. Cyclists have all sorts of hard and sharp surfaces then can get tangled up in. If it happens again, just side-step and knock one end of the handlebars. That'll create an unholy mess.

I don't know why people just don't keep to the left when on pavements, cyclepaths, shared-use routes, and so on. I do, and I stick to my path, so if anyone tries to keep to the right, they lose.

I say all this as a keen road cyclist and mountain biker, by the way, and one who's come in to contact with runners on the Verderer's Trail in the FoD. Verderer's is a dedicated mountain bike trail, and is mostly singletrack and high-speed.. High-speed mountain bikists and low-speed runners don't mix.

10/09/2012 at 10:51

There are bad cyclists and runners.  I do road running, cross-country, road cycling and MTB.  You come across all sorts of idiots.  The guy mentioned at the start of this thread is just someone with a problem with life in general.  Yes there are a few of them about, but not really representative of all cyclists.  Just in the same way if you look at cycling forums they will have threads about runners doing stupid things  and there are just as many runners that are idiots.

10/09/2012 at 10:59

I cycle about 40 miles a week and run over 50.

I have problems with other cyclists running and cycling, including on my lsr yesterday. 15 miles in and some idiot decides he wants to pull around me on the pavement (coming head on). Then when I get cross as we nearly collide and I have to stop, he shouts at me because "he was trying to move out of my way"...

Here's a good plan mate:

Get off the f**king pavement.

And I told him as much I was pretty grumpy at that point and it just wound me right up. No need to be on there at all (and there are places where I live where it is a shared path and that is fine or if people cycle nicely then thats fine too).

Virginia Water is dangerous at times with runners, cyclists and walkers - I tend to go only very early in the morning. Its lovely running, but I find it scary with all of them weaving around at high speed and all the kids running around

10/09/2012 at 11:01
A cyclist out of the blue just rides for someone for no reason. And this has happened before? It just doesn't add up to me. I wish we could hear the other side of the story.
Just for the record, the kid that comes crying and telling tales at the playground isn't neccesarily the one in the right!!
10/09/2012 at 11:06

NLR - I think at VW they just get peed off with riding so slowly so decide to breeze through everyone and assume you will get out of their way. Its quite narrow at times so I suspect although not an intentional "attack", it wasnt completely innocent either.

10/09/2012 at 11:17
Sorry curly I was responding to the OP. You of course were completely in the right
10/09/2012 at 11:22
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
Sorry curly I was responding to the OP. You of course were completely in the right

I know I was just trying to offer some explanation of where the initial post may have come from as I have had issues at the same venue in the past, so much so I'd rather go elsewhere and run most of the time.

OP - you could try the Three Castles Way as you can pick that up in the Great Park by and its much quieter

10/09/2012 at 11:24

Cycling on a pedestrian only pavement, wrong, unless you are a child who hasn't passed his primary school cycle training.  If you have, and you feel unsafe on the road, walk on the pavement with your bike.  This will also make it a lot safer for any young passengers on the back!

I run in country lanes and generally run on the 'wrong' side of the road as per general pedestrian safety rules.  Bikes coming towards me usually recognise this and go around, but I've met some who don't.  From their point of view, I can see what's coming, whereas they can't, so it's safer for me to pull out.  A bollocks argument when again you learn at cycling safety to stick your hand out to indicate you're pulling out, and you should know how to look over your shoulder, but some cyclists think it's valid.

As the lanes around me are also national cycle routes I also encounter groups of cyclists.  That's when I get nervous because the guys behind can't see me coming. Having not cycled in groups I don't know if there's a warning call for obstructions, but I assume there is.

It is amazing though when you hear both sides of a story and both sides are right.  I suppose that's why I'm the only driver that should ever be allowed on the roads...

10/09/2012 at 11:35

Ratzer, just picking up on your comment "From their point of view, I can see what's coming, whereas they can't, so it's safer for me to pull out.  A bollocks argument when again you learn at cycling safety to stick your hand out to indicate you're pulling out, and you should know how to look over your shoulder, but some cyclists think it's valid."  That relies on cars behaving properly as well.  A couple of days ago a car hit my arm - I looked over my shoulder saw a car was well down the road behind me, put my arm out, lifesaver check again, next thing the car decided he wasn't going to wait, arm hit, me in grass verge.  Saying that though I would still cycle around a runner, and not expect the runner to move out.

One big problem is that runners and cyclists do not have to read the highway code to use the road.  Most people only read it with respect to driving a car, and I suspect some of the rules would surprise us all.

10/09/2012 at 11:52

andrew, the clincher there is that you did right, and the car did wrong.  Next time though, because of this incident, would you take it out on the runner instead?

If a cyclist was taking the argument that I could see and therefore safely move out, what if I didn't move because I could see it wasn't safe?  What does the cyclist do then?

(Rule 64, for cyclists:  You must not cycle on a pavement.)
(Rule 2, for pedestrians: If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

• be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
  • keep close to the side of the road

It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.)
(Rule 13, for pedestrians: Routes shared with cyclists. Some cycle tracks run alongside footpaths or pavements, using a segregating feature to separate cyclists from people on foot. Segregated routes may also incorporate short lengths of tactile paving to help visually impaired people stay on the correct side. On the pedestrian side this will comprise a series of flat-topped bars running across the direction of travel (ladder pattern). On the cyclist side the same bars are orientated in the direction of travel (tramline pattern). Not all routes which are shared with cyclists are segregated. Take extra care where this is so (see Rule 62).)
(Rule 62, for cyclists: Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.)

Still leaves some space for interpretation, but not too much.  Cyclists should not attack pedestrians on a shared route.

JvR
10/09/2012 at 12:31

I must be lucky around where I live as the cyclists I come across while out running on country lanes and roads pull out enough to avoid any kind of collision.

Even pedestrians walking on the pavement aren't always safe from car drivers, one of my colleagues was walking back from the local supermarket some time back and a car came passed and smacked his arm with the wing mirror. He would have been on the pavement close to the road but the car must have been right up against the kerb to hit him.

10/09/2012 at 12:35

Maybe the answer is that vulnerable road users could "communicate" to each other.  Something along the lines "look out mate there is a car coming".  Both pause for a while, maybe even chat to each other about those damn pesky cars.  Runners and cyclists need to work together.

Would I alter the way I ride in the future after being hit, probably, I would rather be alive than in the right. Would I take it out on runners, no, as I am one myself plus there is too much agression in the world as it is. ("Imagine" now playing gently in the background).

Getting back to the OP I would say drop an email to the local cycling clubs, if someone is being an agressive rider and they are part of a club the club will come down on them like a ton of bricks.

WiB
10/09/2012 at 12:37

Never had an issue with cyclists. They tend to be lazy when it comes to shutting gates though! However I have had a fair few hold some open for me as well so I won't hold it against them too much

It doesn't take much to step aside for someone if need be on narrow trail (I try to avoid road running but I imagine narrow paths are the same deal). Typically most walkers step aside for a runner, not that I expect them to, they just do. The only real "rule" I apply is that anyone travelling up hill has right of way because it can be a pain in the ar$e to stop on a steep incline probably more so on bike then on foot. 

WiB
21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.