Autumn Marathon

Autumn Marathon

1 to 20 of 35 messages
28/05/2010 at 18:25

Is anyone doing an autumn marathon and wants to share the ups and downs of the training over the summer.

I've just completed the Edinburgh Marathon and was delighted to do a PB of 3.52 and would like to keep up the fitness and see if I can improve my time.

I haven't entered yet and infact haven't even decided which one to do.

My current thoughts are Snowdon, Dublin, Nottingham or Amsterdam.

28/05/2010 at 18:52
well I am doing Chester on Monday and then Anglsey in September so will keep my training up my best is 22 miles non stop in 2h45
28/05/2010 at 18:56

I'm running Beachy Head in October. Hills hills and more hills. I just wish my legs wanted to run more than 4 miles right now.

Was s'posed to run for 60 mins today but didn't.

22 miles - wish I could run 22 miles again. Well maybe not hmmm.

28/05/2010 at 19:07
I'll add to Anglesey and Beachy Head to my shortlist, although Beachy Head and Snowdon I think are runs to do for the challenge not the PB potential.
28/05/2010 at 19:47
i am doing Abingdon in October...my first ever marathon, have done plenty of halfs with a PB of 1:23:58....sub 3 hr is the aim
28/05/2010 at 20:43
I've done Amsterdam and really enjoyed it. After my experience of Edinburgh last weekend, Ams definitely beats it in terms of organisation!
WR
28/05/2010 at 21:21
Hi Richard, just popped over from the Edinburgh forum and as you know i'm signed up for the Palma marathon on the 17th of october. Have had a couple of wee jogs this week but nothing serious, everything felt good after Edinburgh and have had no stiffness though having been for a sports massage yesterday she did find some knots!

Good luck with the training and I hope you find your next marathon soon.

28/05/2010 at 21:25

I did Beachy Head last year as my first Autumn marathon.  As someone who sweats for England my main concern was completing long runs in warm weather but this didn't turn out to be too bad - more than offset by the benefit of being able to run on pleasant, long evenings.  I found the Summer schedule of shorter races particularly useful for keeping sharp and tracking progress.

Also the weather on race day is less likely to throw you. The danger with races like London or other Spring marathons is that they come on one of the first warm days of the year, and having done most of your training in the cold and dark it can come as a bit of a shock.

28/05/2010 at 21:32
I'm doing the Greensand Marathon in October, another "challenge" marathon and definitely not PB material. I did it last year (I am deliberately not using the term "run" as that might imply that I didn't have the odd walking break - in fact I had quite a few) so trained over the summer. It wasn't too bad even though I hate hot weather. I tend to run in the mornings anyway so I just got out a bit earlier than usual. It probably helped that the summer wasn't too hot last year - I don't want to sound like a killjoy but fingers crossed for another cool one this year!
28/05/2010 at 21:37

Good point PhilPub re the weather - I've found in the past if you train during the warmer months by the time you get to the Autumn you'll be racing your marathon in cooler weather.

Having missed the boat for Abingon I've decided to go back and do the Isle of Wight again in October - a tough run, but brilliantly organised and with a small field you're not spending all of your time running around people like London! I've also plumped for a winter marathon in Luton in December - I've figured that nine weeks between this and IOW should be enough time to recover. With Luton being the flatter course this one is my priority, and IOW may end up being a long training run.

28/05/2010 at 22:09
Hi Simon. I'm looking at IOW as a prefer autumn marathons and have just moved down south. Good to know that it is recommended. Is it hilly?
28/05/2010 at 22:40
How hot will Palma be?

What's the word on Abingdon? Is it easy to het into and are you on your own or is it a reasonable size field of runners?

How hilly is IoW?

Where is Greensand?
29/05/2010 at 02:01

IoW hilly? Have you ever been there? Very gently undulates. Nothing to scare you. I think enough to keep you interested.

[b]http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/ryde/575125198140056501[/b]

Greensand, if I am right is in Surrey - north downs.

Edited: 29/05/2010 at 02:03
29/05/2010 at 06:54

I'll remember your words on the IOW when I get to twenty-something miles again Bikermouse!!!  I suppose the IOW is tough and undulating compared to a race like London! However, in terms of organisation IOW is great, and I think there was only 200 or so runners last year, which meant it got a bit lonely at the end of the race. The one thing that made me feel a bit special is that you could give them your own drinks bottles to be placed at drinks stations on the course, just like the elite runners at London!

Richard - I don't know what the course is like at Abingon, but it looks like entries are closed already and there's a bit waiting list to take any dropout places.

29/05/2010 at 09:16
IOW sounds great. Definitely up for it. Its good to train in the nice weather and race when its cooler. Plus training for an autumn race gets me ready for X-counrty season
29/05/2010 at 12:43

I'm narrowing down the field to:

Beachy Head - sounds a great course if tough, but a long way to travel. Could stay with friends in Brighton.

IoW - not quite as hilly, good value price, easy to get in but a long trip from Sheffield. Nice ferry trip.

Snowdon - tough course, a classic challenge, but the weather has been awful the last couple of years. Also have friends in Rhos-on-Sea.

I've decided that a marathon abroad is a bit extravagent this year, but do fancy a few of them in future years.

Might have to get out for an easy five miles this afternoon and mull over the options.

WR
29/05/2010 at 13:56
Richard, Mallorca has an average temp in october of 20 degrees, so hopefully cooler than Edinburgh!
I got return flights with easyjet from Belfast for £51 return so it might be cheaper than you think!
29/05/2010 at 14:49
I'm doing the Isle Of Wight marathon myself. Will be my first time at this event and am expecting hills but this should add to the fun! Going with a mate and we plan to visit the bars of Ryde afterwards.
29/05/2010 at 14:59
Nothing like a post race pint. IOW should be a good setting for a few beers by the sea.

29/05/2010 at 16:47

Richard, I'm doing Amsterdam in October - also got a PB this year (VLM) and looking to get my time down (well done by the way!).

I love summer training because I always feel happier in the sunshine, and when it rains it's refreshing rather than chilling to the bone... running in the heat is quite tough, but come autumn when it starts to cool down you can really feel the increase in fitness.

1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.