Barefoot Running and Minimalist shoe running

Questions on bare foot and minimalist shoe running

21 to 25 of 25 messages
07/03/2012 at 22:45
Yeah it's my PSOAS I reckon. Also my glute med and min are pretty tight and always have been. Just trying to re-train my muscle memory and getting those right exercises in is a tricky one. I'm a sports therapist myself but very bad at looking my own problems objectively.
After this marathon is over I'm going to be concentrating more on my form, strength and speed. See how that will change things.
Edited: 07/03/2012 at 22:45
07/03/2012 at 23:00
Cheers Gafin, always good to have that reassurance. I was always primarily on the ball of my foot, even before moving to minimalist, so the change has been relatively easy - although I'm sure I've still got plenty of work to do on my form.

I really liked the aeroplane analogy and 'got' it. Then I started to think about it a bit more: don't planes always touch-down with their rear wheels first?

07/03/2012 at 23:03
Ever been on Easy... Sorry cant say it! lol!
07/03/2012 at 23:18
Edited: 07/03/2012 at 23:18
08/02/2013 at 15:52

Hi everyone.  Am very keen to do barefoot running but know that it does take time as we are not used to it in this country, unlike, say, African peoples and tribes who have been running barefoot since birth, practically.  I have tried it and suffered accordingly (Lol), and realise that starting out slowly, one mile distance to begin with, will pay dividends.  I have found that landing on the forefoot and letting the heel land gently just prior to lifting off again works well and I have no back pain as a result, like I did before when heel striking.  One mile at a time until your body tells you to attempt say, 2 miles, and so on, but very very gradually.  I am currently using cushioned shoes but will revert to minimalist shoes soon to help my legs gradually get used to less padding.  Am not sure about Vibrams yet - any comments anyone about these?  Forefoot striking feels quite natural now, having seemed a bit foreign before, but that was because I wasn't used to it.  At least I dont have to see the chiropractor about my back these days!!   

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.