Belfast Marathon Hills

6 messages
21/02/2013 at 02:46

Hi 

Doing my first Marathon with The Belfast City Marathon on the 6th May. I am training mainly on country roads were I live as hear the Belfast Marathon can be hilly in place. Please can anyone tell me were the worst hils are on route.

D S
21/02/2013 at 10:17
Hi Kevin - there's a long uphill stretch on the Antrim Road between @11-13 miles. To be honest it's the followging downhill section towards Gideon's Green that I find tougher on the legs! Practice running downhill too and you'll be fine, and enjoy your first marathon!
21/02/2013 at 12:37

Have you had a look on the Marathon's website? It has the following link:

http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=1047080505

which was linked from this page:

http://www.belfastcitymarathon.com/faq/Route-information

21/02/2013 at 13:16
Kevin, the 2 mile stretch up the Antrim road is the worst bit , long steady gradient , just back from 20 miles with that particular piece of road being my last 2 miles , it's workable at a nice steady pace , the final hill up the upper ormeau looks worse than it is , good luck , you will be fine with country roads ( I find them harder) just make sure you get your long runs in
21/02/2013 at 22:48

Thanks everyone for your advise and help got a lot there to get me over them hills....

21/02/2013 at 22:59
Kevin, on this same page you will find " Northern Ireland running " the folks on here couldn't be more helpful and come from all over the country so could give you advice on all sorts of running at home , I find their advice for a newbie like me second to none , I'm doing Belfast as a first this year as well as Derry , Dublin last year was my first its a great experience and you will love it , enjoy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.