Ben Fogel doing Des Sables Ultra

101 to 111 of 111 messages
01/11/2004 at 14:05
Although she also said he was a perfectly polite individual...
01/11/2004 at 14:09
"Am I right in thinking youve done it too jason?"

Me? No, I didnt say anywhere that id done it.

01/11/2004 at 14:24
Tha's ok Jason.

Might I make it quite clear - I have NO plans to do MdS, though I'd love to. Reckon I'd have a 3% chance of finishing.

that's a lot of money not to finish.

But I've taken part in 4 races in the desert.

(Foulees de la Soie, where you don't get kicked out if you can't complete a leg. Not the toughest race on earth, but pretty darn tough for all that, if you are short on challenges.)

Repeat my suggestion that blisters occur as a result of feet getting cooked. I would like to know if anybody has experimented with heat reflecting insoles.

I definitely would try it.
01/11/2004 at 14:26
Wouldn't mind seeing the other MdS video.

Like watching deserts and running.

Oh dear, sad, or what?
oxymoron    pirate
01/11/2004 at 14:29
Jason- I know you didnt say you had done it in this thread but I had it mind you had done it, sorry probably confused you with someone else.
01/11/2004 at 14:37
Me thinks he is doing it next year though ;)
01/11/2004 at 14:40
he was going to do it this year methinks.... but was injured.

drama queen anyone ? ;-)
01/11/2004 at 14:42
Im only doing it if I can get a suntan before I go out there ;-)
oxymoron    pirate
01/11/2004 at 14:44
aaaah, I am not going totally mad then :)
01/11/2004 at 16:18
I thought it was OK, although I'd have liked a bit more background info and a bit less "ooo my feet really hurt". How do they find their way? What did he take to eat? Was it enough? What was it like sitting around in the evenings? How on earth did he not know to bring gaiters - even I knew that. That kind of thing would have made it a better program.

Much respect to the Fogle lad and his likeably fruity accent though - I really didn't think he'd make it and he definitely dug deep. I'd have just liked a bit more insight. That brief moment of reflecting on being bad at sports at school - that really got me, and I would have welcomed a bit more depth like that.
01/11/2004 at 19:08
Regardless of being a 'drama' queen' and only doing it for the publicity, he finished. Others who seemed better prepared didn't.

His feet were a mess, and anyone who can carry on in such condition deserves some degree of respect.

Its not his fault he was born with a la-de-da accent and not in a slum. Just because he seems to be apparently priviledged doesn't negate his achievement.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 111 of 111 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.