Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

261 to 280 of 1,796 messages
31/12/2012 at 18:11
EHN - absolutely. I know we all struggle at times but these fora are brilliant at motivation. I'd never have finished Paris this year if not for the Paris threaders.

Happy new year all, 2013 will be a great year for running!

Iain
01/01/2013 at 11:31

Happy new year all!!!

Just got an email about the GNR ballot.  FFS!!  I have to buy the daily mail to enter. things we do for running.

01/01/2013 at 18:15
Very sorry to hear RS.

Nobody should be forced to buy the Daily Mail...
01/01/2013 at 20:21

whoops, it's the daily mirror not mail...doesn't make it any better though.

02/01/2013 at 09:46

Do you *have* to? I entered it all online last year and didn't have to spend a single penny to do it.

02/01/2013 at 11:16

Damn I wish I had signed up for this. It is the day before my birthday. I did not realise.

02/01/2013 at 12:09

Khanivore - stick around, you can run it vicariously, through us

02/01/2013 at 12:16

Haha - i will sign up for 2014!

04/01/2013 at 18:43
RS - probably most reliable way to get a GNR place now is via a charity. And you won't have to buy the Mail. Or the Mirror. Or whatever it was. You can feel good too! I'll sponsor you...
04/01/2013 at 21:19

darn, completely forgot to get the mirror as work went awol. ops.  I'm saving all my charity credits for London next year.  I'll survive not doing the GNR this year.  Thanks for the offer anyway.  I shall hunt you out next year for london.

05/01/2013 at 11:31

Morning Radar Sal. All's not lost for GNR, there is still the general ballot opened today until 4-2-13 http://www.greatrun.org/News/NormalNews.aspx?nid=8411 Good luck!

05/01/2013 at 11:56

Thanks sticky, I'm all entered on the ballot.  Not sure if I'll be able to do it but that probably means that I'll get in.

05/01/2013 at 16:51

Hi all.  I came across this upon Emmy H's recomendation, as I started a thread about Edinburgh and Berlin and being a newbie didn't know this one existed.  Basically and shock horror - I too am doing Berlin this year.  It will be my fourth marathon - I've done London, Dublin and Hamburg - I will never be a super fast runner (partly due to a few injuries that never seem to clear up) and my PB is 4 hours 30 (my ego likes to think I can beat this if I stay injury free) but as much as I love to compete - and I am competitive - I am realistic enough and do them for my love of running and that feeling when you complete it.  Anyhow - part of my other thread was that I am a single guy from Gloucester so I combined my love of running with a desire to see different cities - is a great excuse to get abroad -  and as good as it is to travel abroad and run these races - the main thing missing for me is that celebration after and experiencing it with other like minded people.  Hence.....I was hoping to get to know some people, share training experiences (my family don't get running - it's like the scene from Run fatboy Run - 'He runs marathons..'  A bemused Dylan Moran. 'Why?') make some new running friends and if it's not a big runners world faux paus, perhaps meet up with some people whilst in Berlin (please feel free to point out if this is not something that is usually done )  I think it will make the experience even better.

Am I in the right place?  Be gentle with me

05/01/2013 at 21:14

Hello Jase, we'll be gentle for the first while.   Welcome aboard to RW forum train.  It's all friendly and nice here.  There will probably be a few meeting up before, after and probably during the marathon.

06/01/2013 at 09:31

Hi every one just signed up the the RW forum the other day as i was given the Mag as a Xmas pressie.

Only been running for about 18months, in that time i have done 2 10k's 1 half and the Edinburgh Marathon and i have signed up to do the Edinburgh and Berlin ones so far this year.

So just like to say a big hi and look forward to readin your posts and gaining some tips from you all.

06/01/2013 at 12:07
Lorger - welcome; sounds like great progress so far! Berlin is simply a brilliant day out. Will be interested to hear how you think it compares to Edinburgh.
06/01/2013 at 12:40

Thanks Radar Sal - that sounds exactly like thing thing I want to do.  hamburg was a few months ago and was great.... but def could have done with some time with fellow aching runners (almost sounds like a violin statement ).

I've not done Berlin but think it willbe amazing.  I love a proper big marathon (helps me a lot in those tired moments to have thousands around me). 

EHN
06/01/2013 at 14:05
Hi Jase and Lorger, Berlin promises to be a great experience. I have a few friends running Londin who are already inspiring as we talk training programmes etc etc...welcome and happy running!!
06/01/2013 at 16:06
Hi and thanks for the welcome look forward to seeing you on the Tarmac
06/01/2013 at 19:12

So I know it's early, but any of your guys planning on meeting up after the great event?  I say that - but actually these things creep up on you.  I had a lay off at Xmas and the norovirus - and suddenly Edniburgh is creeping up quickly.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.