Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

21 to 40 of 1,796 messages
01/11/2012 at 14:00

Jimbob - there is also a frequent bus link to Tegel from Kurt-Schumacher Platz underground station - that is well outside the marathon course, so all buses will be running normally from there at least.  Underground trains from Friedrichstrasse (walking distance from the finish) take about 15-20 mins direct to KSP, and from there the bus is somewhere around 20 to 30 mins as fas as I can recall.

You can even stay at Kurt-Schumacher Platz, as I did this year (paying the price of not checking properly before confirming the booking), which is lovely if you enjoy looking at the underside of aircraft.

01/11/2012 at 14:15

DM20 - thanks for the advice. It might be something I consider doing - providing I can improve my time

JPenno    pirate
01/11/2012 at 15:17
I am in all paid for looking at flights and accommodation now

Aiming for 3:15 to 3:25 depending on injury weight loss and training, previous best 3:28 in 2009 whilst also doing ironman triathlons but now back to just running so hope focused training will pay off
01/11/2012 at 16:25

@Iain - nah - i'm one of those people that thinks more the merrier They are the ones that gave me a bit of advice about travel etc... i'm loyal to the thread... promise

01/11/2012 at 17:42

Hi peeps!

I am in toooooo! Flights booked, accomodation sorted..........House party Emmy?!?!?

The boring things now.........like getting fit and healthy.........training.......

01/11/2012 at 18:47
David, Johnas - yup, we're all suckers. After under-performing this year (and last year!), I'm giving it one last go at a Berlin PB. As with Orbutt, I'll be hoping to complete a decent time in Paris in April too...
01/11/2012 at 19:03

Just completed registration.

Flights booked - Lufthansa from Manc-land Fri-Tues.

01/11/2012 at 20:32

Panic over. Finally got my email and code this morning. Registered OK -- though still haven't had confirmation email of registration! But anyway, now that they've taken my money, I don't think i need worry.

I got in at the 60 euro price though splashed out 50 euros on the 2 shirts. Still, glad I'm in and I don't mind. Looking forward to it, as long as injuries leave me alone. 

01/11/2012 at 21:18
DLR - good stuff. Looks like you, Orbutt, Kaz and I have the same marathon aims next year...
Edited: 01/11/2012 at 21:18
01/11/2012 at 21:50

Iain - I think RS is in there too!

Interested in the transport links. I printed  out a transport system map thing, but I canna see it properly. (need a magnifying glass!)  Needing to work out route from  the airport into accomodation. Plenty of time thou.

01/11/2012 at 22:25
Kaz - yes, I forgot RS is up for it too. A big Paris based team!

Don't worry about the transport links. It's so easy - way better than Paris. Plenty of time to sort it out. If you're flying to Schonefeld there's a train, 45 mins to the central station. The bus from Tegel takes 30mins or so to Zoo Station or the Brandenburg Gate. Getting about on the s-bahn or u-bahn is self explanatory and all you need is a day pass - around 5 euros.
01/11/2012 at 22:25

IM2 - The Jimbob is doing both too.

Kaz - There is a Journey Planner here and an interactive map here. If you're flying into Tegel then it's a bus into the city, though. No direct train link.

02/11/2012 at 01:06

Flight and Accom booked - getting in / getting out. Can't desert the family for too long / already away two weeks previous at GNR and of course Paris.

I'll be getting the 6.15 flight home from Tegal to heathrow so if anyone getting the same flight wants to share taxi to the airport keep it in mind. And mention it to others if you hear of them doing the same (bonkers) thing

02/11/2012 at 05:17

Orbutt - Thanx for that. Sorted!!

I managed last year in Berlin on my own, so why am I stressing about next year???

JPenno    pirate
02/11/2012 at 10:32

Flights booked, Late night thursday out from Mancland and tea time return on Monday, time for some sight seeing before on the Friday, register saturday, race and drink Sunday, shopping and return Monday - all sorted, just need to find accomodation and do some training now

02/11/2012 at 10:42

JPenno - I recommend getting the expo out the way on the Friday. It's a bun fight on the Saturday apparently! Likewise, I cant recommend the Breakfast Run on the Saturday enough especially if you're travelling with family who arent running the marathon - a great way for them to feel involved

02/11/2012 at 10:42
Paris/Berliners 2013 - Kaz, RS, Orbutt, TheJimBob, me... Anyone else?
02/11/2012 at 10:46
Johnas - second that re: expo on the Saturday afternoon, having done it for the last two years. I'm heading out Thursday, expo Friday, breakfast Run Saturday and PB Sunday !

JPenno - yup, training's looking like the bummer.. What's your thinking on Brendan Rodgers so far?
02/11/2012 at 10:55

IM2 - Dirty Leeds Rob, how could you forget

Johnas - Do you have to register for the Breakfast run? Does it finish on the Marathon finish? Is it 5k? I might run that with Mrs O

02/11/2012 at 11:03

Breakfast run is free. Starts at the  Charlottenburg Palace and ends in the Olympic Stadium (yes, you get to run around the track) and then a free 'breakfast'. It's about 6km in total and thousands take part (some in fancy dress). Nice little loosener too before spending the rest of the day resting up for the marathon the next day.

My wife is a non runner and smoker and after some nagging took part with me and loved every minute of it!

21 to 40 of 1,796 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.