Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

381 to 400 of 1,796 messages
14/04/2013 at 17:35
Hey All, my Berlin Marathon training started 2 weeks ago, needed 2 start a wee bit earlier due to missing a big chunk of the year through illness. Managed 31 & 27 miles in last 2 weeks, so far so good. First Half Marathon of the year 6 weeks today in Edinburgh then it's off to Tenerife with family 2 days later. Will b taking running gear with me to train though.

At the start of the year had scheduled in a Half Marathon, which would have been this morning, but due to being ill wouldn't be fit for it and it was nice laying in bed listening to the rain battering off the window knowing that I could have been running in that!

Hope Iain, Orbutt, Kaz, Radar Sal and all the other Paris guys are having a well deserved lay-in this morning after their endeavours last Sunday
14/04/2013 at 17:39
kaz1 wrote (see)

HAHAH RS.........nothing like pointing me in the right direction!!!

;)

DW20 - Kaz had her appendix out in Jan (or was it Dec Kaz?) then pulled out a sub-4 PB in Paris.  she's a legend but on the Paris forum we try to get her to rest as much as possible, which is pretty impossible.  Luv yah kaz!

14/04/2013 at 18:09

Wow, didn't realise that it was her appendix that she had out. Iain's probably the best person to advise on that. No idea why I've re-posted a message from earlier, must be that bloody Blackberry phone that I  have. Gonna hit it with a 7 iron golf club in my back garden when I get my upgrade next month. Any suggestions on a new phone for me to get next?

14/04/2013 at 18:15

HAHAH on the phone thing DW, I feel the same at times with my iphone - their great when they work properly but a right pain otherwise!!

Yip appendicitis on 31 December RS!! Hehehe you make me giggle!!

14/04/2013 at 21:48

David - I love my iPhone 4 but don't think much of the 4S or 5... The new Sony looks good, as does the Samsung. I just don't think Blackberry are that great for functonality, apart from business-wise...

15/04/2013 at 06:56

DW20 - I've got the samsung S3 mini. It's good!!!  The std size is also not THAT big and gives you an awesome screen.

15/04/2013 at 11:36

Morning All,

I'm signed up for Berlin, only just discovered this thread!

Ran my spring marathon yesterday, just a small local one - only marathon #3 for me but am getting progressively worse!  This marathon lark is so effing hard!!!  Managed 3:55 in Edinburgh last year, hit the wall at Amsterdam and crawled to 4:07 then yesterday all was going ok, (on for about 3:53) then injury struck at 23M and I had no choice but to walk all the way back to the finish and collecting my bag.  Hey ho.  Hopefully things will go better in Berlin, if they don't I might 'retire' from marathon running!!

16/04/2013 at 16:26

I'm not running Berlin in October - instead I'm doing Venice.  I set up a thread and seemingly no-one else is doing it....yet.  Can I jump on this thread for motivation and banter?  I ran Paris on 7th April and already miss the buzz of the Paris thread.  

16/04/2013 at 18:28

EE3 - but of course! This thread is taking its time but will - no doubt - warm up over the next few months.

The Monk - Berlin will be better; that sounds like a really tough one on Sunday. (If it were easy, we wouldn't bother!) Where were you running?

16/04/2013 at 21:07

It was the Bungay Black Dog Marathon which is a little town on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.  Was 240 entrants and only 160 finishers so a slightly smaller scale than Berlin!  Am determined September 29th will be a PB!

16/04/2013 at 21:25
Monk - Me too (although one for me would be a fair bit slower than yours). Let's do it!
17/04/2013 at 07:14
Monk - Hi.
IM2 If we're going to get a PB anywhere it will be Berlin. From what I hear it makes Paris look mountainous
EE3 - Berlin is exactly like Venice, without the canals, churches and Italians. Join in the fun (btw - the Paris madness is still ongoing in there.)
17/04/2013 at 20:30

EE2 - I can confirm the paris thread is very much alive and posting.

18/04/2013 at 10:38

Found you all now - checking in from the Brighton thread.

Looking forward to Berlin again after running it last year and getting my GFA time. This year its all out to find 6 minutes and go sub 3hr - anyone got any good training plans. Ran 3h:12m in Brighton but lost most of that in the last 10k with blistering.

18/04/2013 at 10:42

Welcome Andyc!

Well done on Brighton! Thats a great time! What plan did you follow for Brighton?

18/04/2013 at 12:54

Sounds like a lot of the guys on this thread are dead serious about getting a pb at Berlin. I started my Berlin training on April 1st and I've clocked up 80 miles this month so far, so count me in the group of being serious about getting a pb! Did my first interval session yesterday and boy did it hurt! a really good way to get the fitness up though.

Just signed up for two 10k's next month at Helensburgh and Clydebank, topped off with the Edinburgh Half Marathon at the end of May.

Monk- The Marathon has had mixed fortunes for me too, New York 2006 took unwell traveling over to race, London 2007 heat got the better of me (was 23 degrees), London 2011 took ill the week before the race. As Iain says if the Marathon was that easy everyone would have done one! I'm sure if you take a time out to recover from Sunday you can re-focus and get that pb at Berlin.

Andy- Welcome back, great running at Brighton just the same, sure you'll get under 3 at Berlin.

Elizabeth- Youcan help keep us motivated at the same time.

#prayforboston

18/04/2013 at 20:05
For brighton there was no training plan, I always start with the best intentions then it all go to pot after a week. Brighton was mainly three 5 milers midweek and a longer 13 to 23 miler at the weekend, nothing structured at all and defo not enough miles per week.

this time I want to aim for a minimum of 50 miles per week and finally start doing repeats or whatever they are called as I see them mentioned all the time. I live in a very hilly area and as such my runs contain big hills, one is the fourth steepest road in britain so I always assume that covers for the lack of repeats. Aerobically I am always fine (think hills help that) but it's just I cannot sustain my 1:27 half pace I usually aim for, last year in berlin my splits were 1:30 and 1:36 so it was not too far off. I am defo around 1:26-27 pace now in first half so just need that little extra to make that 1:25 and maybe 1:32 in the second half.
18/04/2013 at 21:04

ps - should we not move this thread to Events forum? It seems a bit buried with all the Genral Running

18/04/2013 at 22:09

400!

18/04/2013 at 22:10

Andy - how would we do that?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.