Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

761 to 780 of 1,796 messages
20/06/2013 at 23:49

Hi All,

Playing catch up as I haven't chacked out the forum since completing The Halstead Marathon back in May.

Flights and accomodation all booked up now and training going well.

Interclub ELVIS series has really helped with speedwork, and regular long runs building again.

Thinking about a pre Berlin Half but undecided which one yet.

suggestions anyone?.

21/06/2013 at 08:43

Eastendrunner - where abouts are you (i know this could be a stupid question considering your name).

Thames Meander is end of August and the half is a lovely route (i'll be running the full).

21/06/2013 at 09:20

DW - ouch is all I can say. have you passed the stones or still got them? Running and kidney stones aren't unusual and there are a few articles about it on the net

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389661-running-with-kidney-stones/

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/kidney-stones-and-running

eastendrunner - if you can get to the other side of London, Maidenhead HM on 8th September is a well placed, flat HM before Berlin. i did it last year as an MP run and it fitted the schedule perfectly.

21/06/2013 at 09:26

Dotty - did Brighton and blew up in last 5 miles, think it was a mix of the warm sunny day after months of cold weather and taking the early hills too quick. Last year in Berlin i did 3:06 and lost most of that 6mins in the last 10k so i do not want the same thing happening - i know the speed to go 2:59:59 is there its just keeping it for the full 26 miles. 

21/06/2013 at 10:19

Emmy H - I'm in Dagenham, Essex,Thames meander sounds nice but I was thinking of Maidenhead which I have not done yet. Training for a 3:30 Marathon so a nice flat course will be right up my street.

21/06/2013 at 11:47

Johnas- Thanks for the article links. I only have one which is 5mm. I haven't passed it yet and it is giving me quite a bit of pain even though I am on pain medication. Can't imagine when I will be able to run again and this is depressing me.

21/06/2013 at 11:57

chin up DW. better to get it now than end of August / early Sept. sending positive vibes mate

21/06/2013 at 12:07

Cheers Johnas

EHN
21/06/2013 at 15:00

Gosh sorry to hear that David..and I also send you positve vibes.

I might also run the Maidenhead 1/2.

Emmy -don't know how you do it -wish I had half your get up go!! Respect!!

...ah weekend approaches

21/06/2013 at 17:39

Taking on the East London parkrun chain this Sunday so could be fun.

21/06/2013 at 18:23
andyc209 wrote (see)

Was going really well till got a stomach bug the other night. Up around 50 miles a week atm - did a 19 miler the other day in 2h15m so the pace is there already, hoping to do around 20 every weekend just to make sure the legs are used to the distance this time and not suffering in the last 5 miles. Now someone who sits near me at work has just gone off with Glandular Fever so fingers crossed!!!!

Andy - unless you've been having, ahem, abnormally close contact with your colleague, you should be fine for the glandular issues...!

David - sorry to hear; PM or email me; happy to advise; I know a bit about kidney stones.

Iain

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 18:27
21/06/2013 at 20:03

Well ankle got better quickly and last Sunday I managed 12M so was pretty pleased.  However, am now laid up with another injury.  At 5-a-side yesterday I got upended, spun through the air and landed with a thud on my right knee and elbow.  So I now have very sore carpet burns as well as a painful and swollen knee.  I play football in a hall which is bascally a concrete floor with a carpet over the top.  So I've managed just a 6 miler all this week and it's looking a no go for the next few days.  Training for Berlin is just not getting going right now, urgh.  Sorry to hear one or two others are suffering from various ailments on this thread.  Things can only, and will, get better!!

21/06/2013 at 23:43
Good luck tonight, Emmy. Looking forward to hearing all about the midnight marathon.

Andy - I had a similar experience at VLM this year. In my case it was poor nutrition, I only used 2 1/2 gels. I really couldn't stomach them! I was on target for sub 3.20 but slowed in the last 10k , to come in at 3.23. I know I'll have to practise using gels on my LSR this time.
22/06/2013 at 09:22

Monk - should we wrap you up in cotton wool?

David - Get well soon!

EHN - I'm not sure its get up and go or insanity

Night marathon completed last night and I'm still recovering. The wind was so violent (it was all open land) and it just felt like a constant headwind. Managed a pretty decent average pace but for some reason am really aching this morning. Had a really tough race mentally - so much so that i'm still a little 'bruised' mentally. Not sure that i'd do it again but it's definitely been an experience.

22/06/2013 at 09:54

Emmy cotton wool, bubble wrap, might even need a plaster cast at this rate!

Good work on the midnight marathon, I find them tough enough at half ten in the morning so big respect to you, well done.

24/06/2013 at 11:56

Less than 100 Days to go

24/06/2013 at 17:05

Not reassuring!!

After hardly any running for nearly 3 weeks, this weekend has got me back under way! Plan is ready, now I just need to execute it!!!

24/06/2013 at 19:23

Good Luck Kaz.  

I feel well out of sorts. I managed 65 miles last week. All slow. First week back from hols. I am about 24lbs over the race weight I want to be...damn burgers/ice cream/chips etc on hols

24/06/2013 at 21:37

Well today has been a nice 9 mile progressive run this morning, and 5 miles tonight- 1w/u, 3 @7.4x and 1c/d. That wasn't on the plan!!!

AGF - I know that feeling well!

25/06/2013 at 20:10

Not long now ... how is everyone feeling about their training?

aha sadly I have been slacking all year so I am now having to put twice the effort into my training  

(lesson learnt)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.