Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

861 to 880 of 1,797 messages
22/07/2013 at 19:01

Kaz - right back at you 

23/07/2013 at 13:02

Just back from the physio where he confirmed my worst fear- that I have tendonitis in my achillies. No running for a couple of weeks, so Berlin is now looking doubtful unless I can get by on about 6 weeks of training. PB out the window for another year.

23/07/2013 at 13:08

Bugger.

Ice Compression Elevation !!!

23/07/2013 at 17:33

Don't forget rest

DW - damn mate. Still, I reckon you've got got pretty good fitness base so even with 6 weeks off you could still get around Berlin - even if its run/walk.

Try to keep a positive frame of mind until the decision can be made one way or another.

Positive vibes mate.

Edited: 23/07/2013 at 17:33
23/07/2013 at 18:01

6 weeks is very doable!! Been there and done that.........after a 7 week lay off!

23/07/2013 at 20:25

Yeah, but you're superhuman kaz Not to say you're not DW! What can you do while you're off running?  It's pretty good weather for swimming. 

Edited: 23/07/2013 at 20:26
23/07/2013 at 21:07

Hahaha RS........I have to disagree with that.........or I have become a whimp of late - just now I am sitting with a tens machine on my back.......

Swimming would be good! Cycling?? Junior was told she'd manage that with the medial ligament strain??

24/07/2013 at 08:52

Cheers for the advice guys.

Orbutt- trying to keep positive, but think after missing 2 weeks with the kidney stone and now the achillies, the pb I was aiming for is now gone. Felt it was recoverable after being in hospital, but now with the prospect of losing 3 weeks at this stage in my programme, maybe a walk run is an option that I will have to adopt as I really want to do the marathon.

Kaz- just remembered from your posts a wee while ago that you did a spring marathon after an operation. How did you approach your training from your operation to the the marathon? 

Kaz/Sal- physio says cycling next week, so I don't think my staff will mind if I commandeer a few spin classes off them over the next few weeks, I also have a swimming pool at my disposal

24/07/2013 at 20:31

Dw - I didn't manage to 'do a kaz' and walk/ran paris to come in at a massive personal worst. Had an absolute ball though hanging out and meeting randoms at the back. Think I drove some people mad but at least it took their mind off the pain. Did have one girl come up after crying and thanking us for keeping her going.

24/07/2013 at 22:06

DW - My training after the op,  just basically consisted of long slower than slow runs concentrating on time on my feet more than any thing else. There was no tempo, no intervals. I only managed a few 10 miles runs, 1 x15 mile run and 1x20 mile run in the time I had. Quite surprised I managed to get round really!

25/07/2013 at 08:49

agree with Kaz on that one - forget going fast for now - simply take it easy for as long as you can to build some miles into your legs without putting too much pressure on them.

Seen everyone has been enjoying the heat! Did a 15 mile run the other night before the thunderstorms started but boy was it humid!!! Never sweated so much in my life. Really on course now - had three really good solid weeks with around 60 miles each week in the bank - just need a couple more 20 mile runs in there before concentrating more on speed work. Really cannot wait now - keep checking the countdown on the site -even my kids are excited.

25/07/2013 at 08:54
David White 20 wrote (see)

Just back from the physio where he confirmed my worst fear- that I have tendonitis in my achillies. No running for a couple of weeks, so Berlin is now looking doubtful unless I can get by on about 6 weeks of training. PB out the window for another year.

David - really sorry to hear this. The PB can wait. However, I suspect you will still be better prepared than me! I hope you're able to rest (what with work and all) - still looking forward to that beer after Berlin.

25/07/2013 at 12:56

Thanks all, looks like when I do start running again it will be slow as advised by you guys.

Kaz- I would take a 1 x 15 & 1 x 20 right now, if I could manage that I think I would be able to get around at the very least.  

Iain- always up for post marathon beers! How did In The Long Run Go?, must have been tough!

Got the hospital tomorrow morning to see about my kidney stone and the physio in the evening.

25/07/2013 at 13:46

David - I hope tomorrow goes well. 

In The Long Run (ITLR) was incredibly hard, the heat was astonishingly bad, but we did it. Immensely proud of what we achieved. But mainly glad it's over!

26/07/2013 at 19:45

Just back from the physio, from Monday onwards I can cycle and next weekend I can start light running (no more than 6 miles to start with), no speed-work for 3-4 weeks though. So hopefully the Great North Run and Berlin are back on!

At the hospital this morning I got another xray to see what the situation with the kidney stone is. Got examined by the doctor who then told me to make an appointment to go back in 6 weeks time, got xrayed and didn't get the results. Is this normal? Iain?

26/07/2013 at 20:09
Radar Sal wrote (see)

Dw - I didn't manage to 'do a kaz' and walk/ran paris to come in at a massive personal worst. Had an absolute ball though hanging out and meeting randoms at the back. Think I drove some people mad but at least it took their mind off the pain. Did have one girl come up after crying and thanking us for keeping her going.

Did she ever contact you again? Maybe we'll see her next year?

i agree with Iain - ITLR was hard and I'm glad it's over but it really was a lot of fun!

im not starting to think about Berlin yet.it's my brain... It needs a break

27/07/2013 at 06:28

Nah, haven't heard from her. when's your next marathon emmy?

28/07/2013 at 17:28

Another slight calf pain for me. Didn't go ping but it stiffened up and was sore.

Currently RICE and I've ordered some calf guards. May just have to focus on getting around.

28/07/2013 at 18:59

I get the feeling that quite a lot of people are not anticipating a good run for berlin due to all the injuries. 

With this being my first marathon I am highly under prepared i am currently only capable of running 12 miles and after this I am aching so much! Im hoping I can build this up to 20miles by the begining of september which will give me a good chance of finishing the marathon.

28/07/2013 at 20:33

Donkey if your plan is to run 20 miles by early September then you are actually tack rack.

Have you run any races prior?

It could be that you're running your long runs too fast. What pace are you running at - and how did you pick this pace?

What other training are you doing during the week?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.