Berlin Marathon 2013

The best of the big 5!

1,761 to 1,780 of 1,797 messages
06/10/2013 at 09:07

Sir john a lot - got my sub 4 there last year. Good start and finish, rest is a bit boring. Watch out for when you're coming back in along the canal. Very narrow and I had to weave and gently nudge past a few people. 

06/10/2013 at 09:35

Next year I'm looking at options. At moment York, Kielder or Amsterdam. Did Chester last year but want a different one. Mrs Sir John a Lot has given me free pass to anywhere within reason. Kielder looks lovely

06/10/2013 at 19:54

Another thumbs up for Amsterdam.  So easy to get around, there's loads of English over there too, course is a nice mixture of city - river - city although in fairness the latter half is perhaps a little on the dull side as it's industrial.  But overall apart from the underpass at 23M it is as flat as you would want.  I did it last year, flight was cheap (£120) accomodation was about the same, good technical t-shirt and I will definitely return, perhaps in 2015.

By the way, anyone get their time put on the Adidas Mi Time wristband?  I did and was well lucky on the Monday at the store.  There was a nice orderley queue formed and I was in the first 15 or so.  As the doors opened I thought look lively here cos I bet this turns into a free-for-all and sure enough it did.  Managed to be quick on my toes and got mine done.  Not left my wrist since - along with the blue wristband.

06/10/2013 at 20:12

Another option is Snowdon, looks brilliant.  UK's toughest ?  What a challenge

06/10/2013 at 21:23

did a 1:30 at congleton today on undulating course - boy does a marathon take it out of your legs - they felt like dead weights out there - absolutley no power in them up some of the hills. Anyone else back running yet?

06/10/2013 at 22:37

Good Lord, no.

07/10/2013 at 07:50

I will be back running Tuesday. Emmy did the Brussels Marathon on Sunday !!

There's a half near me, next Sunday, and I didn't enter as I wasn't sure how I'd feel after Berlin.

I now wish that I had - and entries have closed

07/10/2013 at 08:17

Monk. We did it as well on Monday. Had a small wait but nothing critical.

does anyone know where you can find the compression socks with the Berlin motif on the back?

orbutt is right- I. Ran Brussels marathon yesterday. Very hilly :/ but a nice bimble.

13/10/2013 at 08:33

Well. It's been 2 weeks. And it was fab.

Still not back to running yet but that will come.

Thanks for your company and advice - good luck guys.

Iain

13/10/2013 at 11:14

I can tell you Kielder is that bit different. Lovely route. Undualting throughout. None of the hills are so brutal as to zap your motivation but it does not qualify as a pb course. That in itself is nice as it takes the weight of expectation off and you can just enjoy the run. 

13/10/2013 at 11:47

it has gone quiet here - thanks everyone but it's time to move on to pastures new - London sub 3 and boston threads. hope everyone has a good winter and get their pbs come spring, cheers

14/10/2013 at 07:48

Paris starts here.....

16/10/2013 at 10:28

hi all - im glad to see im not the only one that hasnt started running again! back to it tomorrow night at the track, getting some speed back into the legs i hope now, but reflecting after two weeks or so, looking at the photos, loved that marathon, has got me looking around for others to enter again now - didnt get london, so it looks like belfast again this year for me, and maybe another autumn one if anyone has any recommendations!

16/10/2013 at 11:25

Jason - We have plenty of recommendations! What takes your fancy? Big city? Local feel? Lot of support? Which month? Give us some guidance and we can come up with some suggestions.

21/10/2013 at 10:57

emmy - im not sure what to do now, Berlin was my first "major" and first outside of home country, so I think i like the idea of another big one or one with a lot of support - would prefer summer months in any given country, maybe end of summer to give a few months training after may - even early autumn (im opening the door to berlin again...ballot aside!)

21/10/2013 at 12:44

Jason: Here's a few:

• Cologne. German efficiency - mid september next year and great support on the course and flat as a pancake with a great finish at the Dom. Fantastic aid stations
  • Munich. Same as above. Mid September
  • Amsterdam: Flat, PB course - can be a little dull along the canal with not too much support along the course: Mid October
  • Tallinn: September. Up and coming marathon. Cheap and I've heard great things about it from friends that have visited.
  • Frankfurt: End of October. Flat, PB course. Lots of support. I'll be doing it this weekend so can give you more advice then.
  • Dublin: End of October. Known for being a huge party with great support
21/10/2013 at 13:06

I'm sold on snowdon marathon, looks incredible. Forgot about the watch and just enjoy. 

24/10/2013 at 11:13

Emmy - thanks for the ideas - like the look of Amsterdam, Munich and Dublin!  Could plan out the next few years here! have always heard dublin is a good one, but I prefer weather more like that in Berlin this year, perhaps a degree or two higher, whereas i suppose most autumn marathons can be a bit nippy! 

I loved berlin, as i mentioned it was a world apart from belfast - having done berlin yourself and many others, how does it compare to other ones out there?  Hopefully have a few more left in me, would like to make them something comparable to berlin!

Good luck this weekend in frankfurt, I couldnt even contemplate another marathon this soon after the last one! 

25/10/2013 at 08:17

Hi Jason - I think it all depends what you're looking for and what you want from a race.

For a big city race - it was average. the poor organisation on bag drop really let it down but then again other races have similar niggles - Paris takes an age to get over the line, london congestion is quite bad etc.

I prefer the smaller races - i like being able to run and get into my pace quickly but the downside of this is limited crowd support. All of my PBs were previously run on small local courses because I could relax and get into a pace and control it more.

The issue with autumn marathons is that you cant predict the weather or be assured of it. I run the cologne half every year and in the past 5 years we've had:

• Blistering sun (25c at 9am)
  • Snow
  • Rain
  • Wind and Rain
  • Cold.
25/10/2013 at 12:29

Hi all

Just did the Yorkshire Marathon, 3 weeks after Berlin, and really enjoyed it, more than I expected!

It was smallest of the 3 I've done (Paris was 1st), less than 4000 finishers, perhaps that's why it felt like a better run with less crowd apart from at the start, not surprisingly.

It claimed to be 'an exceptionally flat course - flatter than London, Paris and New York'. Don't believe them! I can say that Berlin was definitely flat, York was a lot tougher as a course!

It was very well organised, the crowd support was amazing! Plenty of volunteers who were all very supportive.

It was so tough during the run I told myself I'm not doing it again. Changed my mind since, and can't wait to do next years!

1,761 to 1,780 of 1,797 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.