Best for weight loss?

Which system works best?

21 to 40 of 76 messages
Ratbag    pirate
30/11/2007 at 13:46
Aitch...chicken tikka (not masala) or tandoori chicken / fish...avoid sauces....
Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 14:02
I know tikka is good and shaslic (can't spell curry names) as they're not in sauces - I guess I could have them with salad and avoid the rice?!
30/11/2007 at 14:03
vegetable dhansak
Ratbag    pirate
30/11/2007 at 14:04

exactly...then at least you are taking part in the meal...not very exciting but it IS the better food choice...

...and NO BEER!!!!

30/11/2007 at 14:07
I suggest you eat only a bit less than you need to sustain your current running, for which you can use a http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weightloss.php.
30/11/2007 at 14:23

I did weight watchers points a few years ago- I worked but I found myself becoming a geek and buying ww products so I couldn't possibly stray- and I found their meals were pushed at the meeting etc.

Not sue about slimming world but might be less ready meal driven.

WW striked me that theyare not massively bothered where you get your calories from so if you eat nothing all day, then a bottle of wine and a doughnut, you might still be in your points allowance (but not ideal!)

Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 14:26

Ratbag - no beer? Not sure I will manage that! I am driving though which will mean I have one at the most. Got a 6 mile route planned for tomorrow morning first thing so that should burn some of it off and going out for 3 or 4 miles when I get home from work so it might not be as horrific as initially though! Only had a banana and vege soup today too which is good!!

Mr P - what's a dhansak and is it nice? Never had one.

Iron Mike    pirate
30/11/2007 at 15:38
Aitch, my advice would be to go to the curry house and have whatever you fancy. This is what i mean about the cheat meal once a week. Nobody is going to go forever without ever craving a curry or a burger or some chips or chocolate gateau or whatever it is for you. If you are going out for dinner, just go out and enjoy it or whats the point in spending all that extra cash in the first place for a meal that you don't want?
Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 16:27
Mike, for once i really want to stick to what I started! I think it's possibly the first time ever I want to have a healthier curry (I'll remind myself of this later). I know with me, if I lapse I tend to think bugger it and give up. I have no will power unless I go cold turkey with things (I'm VERY good at lent)!
30/11/2007 at 16:57
meat vindaloo, and tuck into the lime pickle. straight out the other end, so none of the calories have time to stick to your hips.
Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 17:12
I'd not thought of that! I would like to be able to taste food for the next week though and think vinadloo would prevent this!
Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 19:23
Panic over - not even going for a curry now so just had jacket potato and beans (with marmite) and loads of spinach mmmmmm. Needed it mind you - felt a bit light headed after my run!
30/11/2007 at 20:16

Thanks everyone, you've really given me food for thought there, (intentional pun)!! These clubs do seem a bit pricey, I think I will try the 'Eat healthily and excercise more' theory until after New Year then go to a slimming club if I'm not cuttin' in.

Thanks everyone, will let you know how I getr on

30/11/2007 at 21:01
Spicy food revs up your metabolism.
Aitch!    pirate
30/11/2007 at 23:35
I'd heard that but didn't actually know if it's true?! Curry powder in everything then!!
30/11/2007 at 23:47
Chillies!
01/12/2007 at 16:50

Scrap all ideas of 'going on a diet' and just gradually adjust your eating habits. I have no forbidden foods - if I want crisps or cake or choccies then I eat them!  A meal out with friends?  I enjoy the full works! But I find I don't crave them i.e they are not an issue in my life. Healthy foods however can be just as appetising - and even more so really. I eat little and often - i.e about 6 times a day. I fill easily and have no problem stopping when I'm full but I get hungry very quickly as well so always have snacks to hand. 

I want food that will make me fitter, stronger and energised and that basically motivates what goes into my mouth. What you find is that 'healthy eating' just becomes normal and a way of life.

I've stayed the same weight for years by living like this.  (Much to the chagrin of my family who are all overweight and constantly 'on diets' and justify their sizes by saying I must have an eating problem! Cheek!  Just because they are too lazy to get off their behinds and do anything active! 

Like some of the other posters say - save the money you would spend on Slimming Club fees and treat yourself! 

01/12/2007 at 17:07
Jacket potato, beans and marmite?? I can't even imagine how that must taste. yuck.
01/12/2007 at 17:21

For me, the best way I found to lose weight and keep it off was to become serious about my running. I find that by doing so it has changed the way I think with regards to food.

I tried running on my own for a while but I would drift in and out for weeks at a time. Sometimes I'd be at the gym daily, other times I would miss a whole week. I found I could never get any balance regarding exercise.

I decided to join 2 running clubs. One goes out on a Tuesday and Thursday, the other on a Wednesday. At first it was difficult as I was out of shape and carrying too much weight. I also entered races I found on this site - so far I've done 10k, 10 mile and half marathon. Tomorrow I have a 10 mile race but now I have a time to beat from my first one. I'm about 2 stone lighter from the last 3 months training and a lot faster and fitter than when I first started out. I expect to knock about 10 mins off the last time I did based on the times I've been getting in training since my first 10 miler. I haven't gone on a diet I just know that to keep improving in my running (which I'm enjoying) I need to carry less weight and eat foods that will give me the energy I require. I did some research on what to eat and what not to and 90% of my diet is healthy. Plenty of water, fruit and salad. I do still eat things like chocolate etc because let's face it, I'm not going to never have chocolate again in my life. But I wouldn't make myself sick with it as I know being lighter will get me faster times.

By the way, I'm never going to win a race I am just competing against myself. I'm looking forward to the run tomorrow to see how much I've improved since starting out.

Aitch!    pirate
01/12/2007 at 17:25
Graeme - add a small teaspoon of marmite to the beans when they're in the pan - it's yummy!

I'm impressed with your commitment to 2 running clubs! I've often though about joining one but I'm a bit scared - I know that's me being stupid though! I need to up the running I think. Well done on the race achievements, keep up the good work. Hope all goes well tomorrow - get some pasta down you tonight! I've got my second hal in April and quite looking forward to training for it in the new year!
21 to 40 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.