Best value devices for tracking running distance

21 to 24 of 24 messages
14/05/2012 at 15:40

Hi Sarah

I have a couple of apps on my smartphone which are free.  They do a fairly OK job although I secretly hanker after a Garmin (not so secret...).  Still the free apps record time, pace, route, splits, elevations and you can do nerdy stuff with your data on the websites.  I use mapmyrun mostly, it's never let me down so far even cross-country.  Have also tried endomondo which auto-pauses (useful for club runs) but I've lost GPS with it so have given up.

14/05/2012 at 16:51

another vote for a garmin 110, which via amazon sometimes cost 99 quid (other times, its slightly more for some reason)

14/05/2012 at 21:24
I've used the Nike + GPS app on my son's iPod touch for the last year. It only cost one pound fifty and I have found it really accurate for distance. It keeps track of all your runs so you can track your improvement. It also tells you what pace you are running at. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin at some point but will really miss not having all my past data to hand!
Edited: 14/05/2012 at 21:25
14/05/2012 at 22:43

I used an Android app to track my runs for a while. I found a really nice one (Run GPS Trainer Pro, I think) that would stop your music for a few moments to tell you your pace, along with other potentially useful features.

That was until it crashed during running 13.1. I was pretty sure I had done it in my best time at that point, too. It integrated somewhat erratically with the phone's GPS before this, but had never let me down so badly.

It was then that I decided I needed dedicated running GPS.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.