Best way to increase time running and avoiding injury?

9 messages
12/10/2007 at 09:21

I started running recently and I have worked up from very slow jogging for just two mins to running a mile in ten mins. Now I have achieved this personal milestone (am not overweight but am very unfit) I was wondering the best way to safely increase my mileage. I don't like to run/walk as I personally find it has stopped me being able to find a sustainable pace in the past. How much can I safely increase by each week to avoid injury? I would like to be able to run for 3 miles in 30 mins by the end of the year. Is this achievable? Any advice is welcome please. Thanks!

12/10/2007 at 09:24
Also I am running on the treadmill if this makes any difference at all!
12/10/2007 at 09:36

The accepted formulal is not to add more than 10% to your longest run per week. But if you're at a mile you can easily step up in half miles until around 5 miles then use the 10% rule.

If you don't want to run walk, try taking .5mph off the speed. you be amazed what it does for your stamina

Stump    pirate
12/10/2007 at 09:36
Don't go too fast
12/10/2007 at 09:38

There is a general rule that you shouldn't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.

However, the best method is to use common sense & learn to listen to your body. It's very easy to get obsessed with weekly targets & times etc. and ignore the small niggles & pains which can develop into more serious injuries.

good luck cm

12/10/2007 at 11:25
You might find that the treadmill makes a difference if you take your running into the ouside world. Treadmills are much kinder to your legs than the pavement. Just something to be aware of if you suddenly switch to road running.
12/10/2007 at 13:23
Thanks for the replies everyone. There is some really useful advice here. Much appreciated.
12/10/2007 at 18:08

As the treadmill propels your feet under you it gives you some help. Outdoor running is very different, so to adapt to it increase the incline on the treadmill to 1-2%. That way you get used to working a little harder. Running on different surfaces, other than roads, will also be more of a challenge, as your body has to deal with more uneven ground reaction forces.

To increase your mileage just slow down a bit so you can run within your comfort zone, then work on speed later when you've built up endurance.

Pay attention to your body. It's very easy once you've got the running bug to increase mileage too quickly. Expect some niggles as your muscles get conditioned but be aware of the onset of injury.

13/10/2007 at 19:59
Thanks Siance for the tip about the incline. Will def try it! Also thanks for the tips about listening to your body rather than the times - so obvious yet so easy to ignore!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.