Best way to measure distance?

11 messages
06/10/2005 at 08:31
Just wondered how people get a feel of how far they are running? ive seen you can get distance measures on these new fangled watches but i was wondering if there is a better (cheaper!) way i can find out how far im running. im sure im overlooking something obvious.. any ideas?
06/10/2005 at 08:39
sueandpaul.com
B1
06/10/2005 at 08:46
I find driving round a selection of routes in the car is near enough. On a couple of them I have made a note of mile points. It's not spot on but it's certainly near enough.
JJ
06/10/2005 at 09:30
bike with a distance computer is probably still the most accurate way of measuring distances - provided you can ride the course that is..........
06/10/2005 at 09:47
thttp://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer

try this

you can move it to wherever you like and just click on it to measure distance
its fab
not 100% accurate fof course as it does not do hills
06/10/2005 at 09:48
sorry - just noticed someone alrady put that
:-)

06/10/2005 at 10:37
Thats a really useful website isn't it? great thanks a lot everyone.

Going on what that website says, I'm on course for a good time in my first event, the birm uni 5k.

Thanks again
06/10/2005 at 10:50
THere's a number of those sites - I think I used trailguage.com.
But then I got a timex GPS (I think the Garmin are better now - the latest one is tiny) and my life was changed forever.

If you're pacing out for anything up to 1k efforts, then nothing beats a wheel thingumy, but I don't think that's what you're after...
06/10/2005 at 10:53
I have an electronic map wheel thingumy. You set the scale appropriately then just trace your route on an A-Z. It works for me, but the down side is having to know/remember your route.

Not easy with my goldfish-like memory.
06/10/2005 at 11:06
Does anyone happen to know anything about the Oostende to Bruges 10-mile race, which I think takes place some time in February? From what I've read previously, it seems an event that promises fast times, but I've been unable to discover how to enter. I'd be grateful for any help.
06/10/2005 at 11:47
I use a Jones Counter :-)... Not really

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.