black toe nails

21 to 39 of 39 messages
17/01/2008 at 14:28

It's fun and games this running malarky! I think running should be reclassified as a dangerous sport! Thanks wayne for your comments - guess I just have to get used to the black toes. Glad mine aren't a snooker set...green  toes..humm!!

17/01/2008 at 14:33
Good tip, if they go black they'll drop off, its envitable, it could take a while before they drop off but when they do you can camoflage the fact you have no nail by painting the skin on your toenail with nail varnish...obviously only for the ladies, unless of course you're a man that's into that sort of thing! ;o)
17/01/2008 at 15:27
I don't have black toenails, but I do have something that I think is probably related.  On my second toenail on one foot (my longest toe), I have a big white patch that seems to be a build up of dead skin under the nail.  Is that likely to be caused by the same kind of things?  My shoes are plenty long enough and I have plenty of movement in the toe box, but I do have to lace them fairly loosely, which allows my feet to move quite a bit as I run.  (I started out lacing them tighter, but started to develop uncomfortble lumps on my ankles.)
18/01/2008 at 18:20
Sorry to be disheartening Alibran but your white patch sound horribly like a fungal infection under the nail.  I´ve got one too, with yukky brown around the white patch, and an ingrowing problem.  Painful, though not when running, oddly enough. Been treating it for two years with an antifungal filing-off and paint stuff, to no effect.  Next week it's going to see a scalpel wealding doctor as the GP says that it needs the nail base to be treated, so I'll let you know what it feels like to run with NO big toenail.
18/01/2008 at 21:34
YUK Bikbok, sorry to say that op to remove the big toenail isn't much fun.  Make sure the doc uses enough anaesthetic, if not then.......let's say it hurts when the scalpel goes in, and lots of that red stuff comes out.  Good luck.  
20/01/2008 at 18:40
cheers poacher, thanks for the encouragement! might chicken out yet.
20/01/2008 at 20:27
Don't want to put you off getting the right treatment - I had it done several times 20 yrs ago, I'm sure techniques will have improved!!
21/01/2008 at 16:08
OK I'll be a big brave girl then.  Joking apart, did your toenails regrow correctly? I don't mind going through the ...., but I hope for a long term improvement.  The worst thing is the prospect of being temporarily immobilized, for something so relatively trivial.
27/03/2008 at 17:48

This is an old thread! I have been running for about  twenty years and because I am a runner I'm stupid.

I cured the problema couple of years ago. What happens is your foot moves in your shoes if you have not laced them right up to the butterfly holes,As you do the good bit (running downhill) the foot slides forward and the toesnails go all black as they hit the front of the shoe. Little toes get squashed if the box part is not wide enough.

These things happen even if the downhill does not really show up as a hill.

27/03/2008 at 18:09

I work in a running shop in Central London so i hear this every weekend-

...go one size bigger or half a thumb width/full thumb width...You may have a great shoe (Kayano) but is it right for you gait...It is not just the swelling that increases the foot size - it is also the individual foot strike and foot shape...you may need a squarer shoe or toe box (Mizuno or NB for eg) - when the foot strikes it acts like a spring and stretches outward/forward and sideways - the shoe may not be high enough also...try some other brands at a running shop...they may be able to help...You need space at the side slightly aswell as the front...experiment...I go 1 full size up and run 30/50 miles per week and have never had a black toe nail plus i wear twin skins and vasaline...GOOD LUCK

27/03/2008 at 18:11
...also employ the lock lacing extra hole at the top of the shoe to holds the heel in securely...
28/03/2008 at 16:48
I've got corns instead of lost toenails. They are tough as toetails, they look the same... Actually, I don't care. I think I lost my 4 toenails running in asics 2120, at the same time other asics shoes are fine. But again, I don't care much for the lost ones since the corns are fine
28/03/2008 at 19:30

I've tried larger shoes, shorter nails, orthotics, uphill, downhill, slow, fast... I lose at least 5 nails every year, for the last 5 years of marathon running. I lose the nice new ones just as they have settled. 

Having assisted, yesterday, with the removal of nails from a young lass with ingrowing toenails, I'll happily lose mine to running.  I could be very graphic about how it was done but I kept my eyes well averted.  What I saw made running and black toenails far more prefarable, and yes they grow back, pretty normally.  Sometimes wish they wouldn't - then I'd have nothing to bruise!

28/03/2008 at 19:58
As I said, comfort of the shoe,laces tied to stop your foot sliding around and enough width in the front for all your toes. no black toes 
Iron Pingu    pirate
28/03/2008 at 20:04
I had a pair of Brooks size 8 width fitting B.  3 toe nails black and lost.... Next pair, Brooks size 8 width fitting D.  I have a beautiful set of pinkies.
28/03/2008 at 20:29
Point made
28/03/2008 at 20:38

I used to have this problem with my Kayanos too and have never really gotten rid of it but it did get a lot better after I started wearing twin skin socks.

And yes, they grow back just fine.

12/09/2012 at 08:59

i've gone to the podologist 5 times. first it was a small shoe. then i went up a whole size bigger. cut my toe nails regularly. got rid of the bad toenails (my second and third toes and longer) and still got a black nail and had to get rid of another one. changed the podologist. told that i have a runner, ballet dancer or footballers feet. it happens. friction against the toes. we use our feet. can't prevent some kind of movement in the shoe. some people more prone to others because of how our feet are shaped. she showed me how to wrap them up before i run with gauze or else just stick a silicone cap on them. also wear 100% cotton socks either inside out or seamless, to help with the friction. the only thing which bothers me really is not being able to paint them all nice in the summer )

13/09/2012 at 09:28

despite keeping toe nails short, buying 2E wide fit and a size bigger than normal trainers, I still get black toenails, in fact both big toe nails have split exactly the same, but opposing arcs, and the 2nd toenail on right foot is totally black, it can shirley just be the strike and rub or the shoe ... i would go buying double size because you may get too much movement and rubbing and pronation due to poor support, my advice is to simply make sure you put the lost nails in the recycle bin not the ground fill so everybody benefits ..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.