Blow RW's 20 years out of the water.

Let's find the oldest consistant runners here.

10 messages
30/07/2013 at 17:29

I came from a not very sporty family but always liked running. My aim in school was not to be last, that didnt always work. 36 now and did my first ever adult race in 2009. It was the royal parks half marathon, I felt like a elite runner only to discover none of the people around me was elite so the fear of races was conquered.  Im still not fast but run very regular and really enjoy it. A 20 minute 5k or 3 hour marathon will be a gold medal for me. Still regard myself as a beginner as there has been a few lazy years in between. 

As long as I enjoy ill keep on running.  

There is no better feeling than heading through the park on a evening run, and possibly the best stress relief there is.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/07/2013 at 17:43

I ran my first ever race at 7 years old, but it was another 4 years before I started to run regularly with my Dad. At 12 I joined Mitcham AC. Did orienteering from 16 to about 23. Ran my first 10km at about 25, did my very first marathon aged 31, took up triathlon at 42, did first Ironman at age 50. Am now 63 and still running. I did miss 6 months last year due to my hip replacement operation, otherwise I have been a runner practically all my life. So in September that will be 52 years and 6 months.

Where's my pirate symbol gone to again???

Edited: 30/07/2013 at 18:00
JvR
31/07/2013 at 13:10

I started running when I was at school and we did cross country. Did my first half marathon in 1983 when I was 16, I remember some friends and I took part the first time that they held the race.
I've not run consistently since then as I've had periods when I drifted away from running.
Still I'm 47 now so I've got plenty of time to get a few more decades of running in.

01/08/2013 at 18:45

I did the second Reading Half marathon (my first race) in 1984. That's 29 years. 

01/08/2013 at 19:11

I've never been quick but I've enjoyed my runningplodding and I've completed 91 half marathons and 99 10k races.  

02/08/2013 at 08:04

Started running back in 1982 when 15.

02/08/2013 at 10:25

Started running in about 1980 when I was thrust into a 200m race at Saffron Lane, probably because the school had nobody else, and I was known to be a sport enthusiast. Trailed in a distant and humiliating last against some of the best young athletes in the County.

Probably scarred by that, I rebelled against running for more than 3 decades, and didn't run again until late 2012 at the age of 41, shortly after deciding I didn't like the fat, middle aged, couch potato I was turning into. Am now thoroughly hooked, and after 8 months at it, picked up my first (age group) Power of 10 ranking last week by dipping under 20 minutes in a 5k road race. 

That's my thoroughly dull history covered off, but this guy, who would appear at the tender age of 85, to have made his 5k debut in that same race must surely have a more interesting tale to tell!

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=72328

Even more remarkably, he'd only made his 5 mile debut 48 hours earlier, and both races earned him a WAVA rating of approaching 70%. His profile suggests he's concentrated on longer distances previously, with even 10k being a relatively recent addition. About time he explored what those faster twitch muscle fibres are capable of. 

Well done, sir! I heard a huge cheer go up as I was doing my warm down last week, must have been him finishing the race I would think. Wish I'd hung around a bit longer to join in. 

Bit more about him towards the bottom of this page.

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-1862-weekend-review%3A-november-19-%26-20,-2011.html

Edited: 02/08/2013 at 10:27
02/08/2013 at 12:27

Bit of an unorthodox story but apart from the odd school cross country runs started running in 1992 aged 18. First started for football fitness but then purely for pleasure. Save for for 3-4 years of injuries have ran consistently for 20 years...

The above may sound like I should be an experienced runner except it was years of idiot running the vast majority was unstructured with no training plan.

Entered my first ever race in 2004 a 10k and didn't race that distance again until 2011. 2011 was also the first year I raced HM. Since then have run 6 ultra marathons from 50k up to 50 miles.

Future goals to run sub-6 mile, sub-20 5k, sub-40 10k, a proper marathon and maybe a 100 miler. And finally join a running club.

...my problem is too many goals now which I may already have ticked some off if I'd only followed some proper advice.    

05/08/2013 at 07:01

Some of the 'retro shoes' of today were cutting edge running shoe technology back in 1982 when I started running !

'During the war'...

05/08/2013 at 09:09

I started in about 1978, but it was only an occasional random "jog" at that stage, with the idea of improving my fitness for my main thing which was squash. I didn't really start running with any sort of plan till about 1999.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.