BMI (Body Mass Index) / Ideal running weight

Is there an ideal BMI for a runner?

12 messages
10/06/2008 at 10:07
The BMI calculator on this site seems a bit confusing with the “normal” rage stated as 18.5 to 24.9 but at the end of the page it states that “BMIs below 20.7 (for men) and 19.1 (for women) are considered unhealthy.”

Since I have taken up running I have got my BMI down from an overweight 26.0 to just in the normal rage of 24.3.  I can maintain this weight, give or take a few lbs, without dieting by running 30+ miles a week.  What I would like to know is if there are big advantages in dieting to try and lose half a stone in time for a half or full marathon?
10/06/2008 at 10:10

I'm about 26/27 and I want to get to about 22 as the top end of the normal range feels a bit lardy.

I suspect that the racing snake runners tend to be at the low end of the range but I love me pies too much.

So, no answers, but I'm in a similar boat - I want to shed the extra 7lbs to give my knees more of a break too! 

10/06/2008 at 10:20
I dont like dieting and like the idea that running lets me eat and drink pretty much as much as I like.  However I would like to take a few mins off my runs too.
10/06/2008 at 10:20
Hi topcat - guess this depends on lots of things - however "aerobic demand increases by 1% for every 2.2lbs carried on the trunk - so less weight" = faster times in theory.  (never seen an elite with a pick of fat on them...)
10/06/2008 at 10:24

Perhaps look at other things?  Follow the 1 per cent theory - the following things claim to improve your race time by 1% - so do enough of them and you could gain 10% on your finish times

Stretching

Allowing recovery days

Doing circuits

Doing workouts

Improving/perfecting running technique

Doing strides & drills

Hydrating well

Eating the best possible foods

Using energy gels

Getting enough sleep

10/06/2008 at 10:24
Weeny P wrote (see)
Hi topcat - guess this depends on lots of things - however "aerobic demand increases by 1% for every 2.2lbs carried on the trunk - so less weight" = faster times in theory. (never seen an elite with a pick of fat on them...)

That's interesting, I was thinking this the other day, just how much impact weight does have on times, because I want to keep slimming down, but the missus tells me that she doesn't want me too skinny!!! (not that I'd ever be skinny
10/06/2008 at 10:26

At risk of starting the debate again, do a search on this site for the "Great Weightloss thread" - I can't search here but the thread was very interesting regarding the loss of weight in relation to running faster - all kicked off by this article..

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank01.html

10/06/2008 at 10:27
Oh Don't upset the Missus, danowat!!!
10/06/2008 at 10:29
I can't remember the maths now - but my pod guy said the load through your feet is something like 10 x your body weight - if that's true I am going to be eating DUST for the next few weeks!!!!
Nam
10/06/2008 at 10:30
When my BMI was about 18 point something for me that was spot on for running...  am more around 23 now and notice the difference...
10/06/2008 at 10:31

Thanks all.  A 10% reduction would be nice! 

TC 

10/06/2008 at 10:32
Agree with Nam - been on the bench for 7 weeks - BMI gone way up - started back running and boy its bliddy hard....(like carrying small child on back)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.