Breakfast?

Sugar rush or not to sugar rush?

6 messages
17/08/2007 at 08:19
17/08/2007 at 08:36
Can't read the full article, but I thought the main reason for eating a proper breakfast was because otherwise you tending to snack on junk food later in the day.

Some people I know can't stomach breakfast first thing and have it around 10:00, but they do then have cereal or some other proper breakfast. I have always thought that this was OK if it suited you. It's the ones who skip breakfast and then have a coffee and muffin mid-morning that are doing themselves damage.
17/08/2007 at 08:39
Just had porridge and honey - I can't go out without breakfast and definitely need to eat before an morning run. It may be psychological though - I have always had breakfast when I get up and now don't seem to function well without it.
17/08/2007 at 11:04
That's a really useful article, thanks! I'm doing a bit of stuff on blood sugar levels for my PhD.

From my own research and most of the stuff I've read, I'd recommend eating a nutritious and balanced breakfast that releases energy slowly, thus keeping blood sugar levels constant. What causes cognitive deficits (e.g. poor concentration and impaired mood) is a drop in blood sugar, caused either by not eating or the 'rebound' effect described in the article. If you eat the sorts of foods that keep your blood sugar at a constant but optimal level (too high can be as bad as too low), then you won't need to eat sugary snacks for a quick fix.

17/08/2007 at 11:05
I agree totally madame O
20/08/2007 at 22:37
I very rarely have breakfast but still manage to eat nothing until lunch. The only times I have had breakfast is when I have been doing a run in which case I have 2/3 pieces of toast or when I am on holiday when I will usually have it around 10.00 and often go without lunch. Seems to have worked for me for 15 years!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.