Bristol Runners: Please be careful

21 to 28 of 28 messages
13/11/2008 at 11:23
No, Wilkie, I don't believe you are extra vulnerable because you're running.  It's all part of how soceity seems to have become extra cautious, so that lots of children don't get let out to play anymore, etc., etc.  I tend to find it's particularly people who drive everywhere and so don't seem to have to interact with outdoors much; they're the ones who think that walking/running anywhere by yourself (or travelling on public transport by yourself) is inherently dangerous and risky.  There's nothing wrong with risk management (e.g. not running with loud music on; ensuring that someone will become a bit concerned if you're very late back; etc., etc.) but everything wrong with overkill.  Cotton wool, anyone?
13/11/2008 at 11:24

i reckon youre less vunerable if you are running. to attack someone running takes a bit more than just pouncing on a drunken clubber. and dont forget that attacks like this are v rare. most sexual assaults/rapes take place when the parties know each other to some degree.

im going to guess that whoever did this attack had done it before and was quite brazen. hopefully the police may get some dna.

if my wife said she wanted to go out running when its dark i wouldnt worry but would suggest she stuck to well lit places, that she had some sort of alarm and that she went early in the evening. there arent many weirdos about at 7pm

13/11/2008 at 13:10

Exactly.  I'm in more danger going on a date with a guy than going for a run!  But, that said, if I know that an attacker has struck in a certain area, it pays to keep my wits about me when I'm out and about.

21/11/2008 at 14:25
Just to update, according the Evening Post website the police investigation has been called off.  No info on why.
01/12/2008 at 13:35

Joolska - did you see in the papers that there have been several more attacks (Alma Vale, Hampton Road) and that they believe they are linked?

Also another one in Fishponds but that they don't believe it to be linked.

Fishponds

Attacks linked

02/12/2008 at 09:14
I did see about the other attacks.  I ran past Hampton Road a few hours after the attack there and wondered why it was all roped off.  I'm trying to run at lunchtime when I can...
cougie    pirate
02/12/2008 at 09:55
Interesting that the investigation has been called off ? False alarm ?

It did sound a bit unusual - so early in the morning ?
02/12/2008 at 10:26

TBH I've given up trying to figure out what's going on.  I'm just going to be careful but keep on running!

<shrugs>

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.