Bristol to Reading

Planning first long distance run and need some advice

1 to 20 of 26 messages
06/07/2011 at 20:29
I'm planning to run from Bristol to Reading: Bristol-Bath bike path and then the Kennet & Avon. I wondered if any other forumites had done the route and had any advice about where to stay? I was figuring on places that are ok with walkers, on the basis that then they won't mind a sweaty runner arriving mid-afternoon demanding a shower and eats! I was thinking about allowing 3-4 days so that I don't have to do much more than a marathon a day, as it will be my first attempt at anything longer than a marathon and first attempt at anything where I have to carry my own kit with me!

Any advice gratefully received.
Edited: 06/07/2011 at 20:30
07/07/2011 at 12:52

Coool!  What brought that on? 

Sorry I'm a bit short of advice.  The only route I know between Reading and Bristol is the M4 but I think you'd get arrested trying to run along the hard shoulder.

07/07/2011 at 14:27
Friend diagnosed with MND yesterday and I promised I run from my new home (Bristol) back to my old home (Reading) in aid of MND if necessary.  So not the happiest of reasons, but a promise is a promise.
07/07/2011 at 14:40
Sorry to hear that Jools.  Good effort though - let me know when you've organised it and I'll happily sponsor you. 
07/07/2011 at 14:52
Ah, thanks.  Now all I need is some suggestions for accommodation and to start doing long distance training again!
07/07/2011 at 15:45
why not run it backwards and make it a real challenge?? you might raise more that way....and I'd sponsor you

just a daft thought really
07/07/2011 at 15:53

Hi Joolska, 

Just returned from a walking weekend along the Kennet & Avon canal - loved it. We stayed at Newbury - very scenic little town....not much in the way of B&B's there, but there is a brand new travelodge opened in May (london rd) which is a 2 min run/jog from the canal. Some sections of the canal path from Hungerford & then on to Thatcham were quite narrow & busy with cyclists, but it's probably one of the best towpaths I've walked along.

Stayed in Bath too & can also recommend waterside travelodge adjacent to the canal - they are basic, but hit the spot, & you can check in from 3pm. only downside is they dont provide showergel, etc, so that would be an extra thing to carry.

Good luck with the run & the preparations!

07/07/2011 at 16:11

Hi Joolska, I`ve run along the Kennet & Avon toe path between Kintbury and Reading a few times and its really nice.... when are you thinking of doing this...??

07/07/2011 at 16:29

Fat Buddha: running backwards along a canal ... if I were better at swimming, I'd think about it for slightly longer, but I think the answer is no!

07/07/2011 at 17:17
shame - it was only a daft idea to help drum up more funds.....
07/07/2011 at 17:59

Joolska,

Mrs C and I can offer you a bed in Newbury if you'd like. I run along the canal regularly between Hungerford and Reading, not all in one go though!

Won't be offended if you decide not to shack with some random poster though!

Quite happy to sponsor you and run with you if you want some company for a while.

pm me.

08/07/2011 at 13:41
Ah, that's very kind.  I am tenatively planning on 25-30 miles a day to make a long weekend of it, so Newbury may well be too close to Reading (about 15M IIRC).  From memory, probably means Devizes and Hungerford or some equally eclectic combo are my overnights!
12/07/2011 at 15:11

Hi Joolska,

We organised a relay race over the route three weeks ago but finished at Windsor, it took around 15 hours, I have the spreadsheet with the distances, stops etc if it would help I am happy to e-mail you a copy

Chris

12/07/2011 at 21:08
That would be great, Chris.  If you send me a message via the message member facility I will give you my email address.  Thank you!
20/07/2011 at 12:46

Hi Joolska,

Just back from my hols. I play for Hungerford Rugby club and run with Hungerford Hares so can ask if anyone's willing to give you a bed in Hungerford if that suits.

It's only 8 miles down the road from where I live.

Let me know.

22/07/2011 at 18:16
I'll have a think - to be honest I'm happy to find hospitable B&Bs (looking like Bradford-on-Avon or Trowbridge and then Great Bedwyn or Hungerford) as (assuming I do the run just before Christmas) it's a very busy time of year to impinge on strangers.  Got myself a guide which has all the OS maps in it so the planning is coming together nicely - just need to pin down dates and accommodation and then start training!
22/07/2011 at 19:44
Best of luck Chrissi, let me know where to sponsor you when the time comes.
07/12/2011 at 20:37
Boing!

Just resurrecting the thread to say it's all systems go 2 weeks tomorrow: www.runninghomeforchristmas.wordpress.com (sorry, using chrome and can't do links).
14/12/2011 at 14:27

Joolska,

Well done, really good cause.  Let us know how you get on.

FH 

14/12/2011 at 14:48

Look forward to reading an extra long race report! Good luck.

1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.