Broadband Suppliers

Who do you use?

16 messages
24/08/2003 at 12:29
Hi All

I move house soon and I've decided it's time I got broadband so I can dedicate my life to the forums that little bit more!

So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to who is good and who isn't. I know that some providers can slow to little better than a modem at times so I'd rather avoid this if possible. I work in IT so I'd rather use on that doesn't block sharing the connection for a laptop (I think AOL is very hard to share).

Incidentally, I know there was a thread on this before Christmas so I apologise for repetition but with no search facility I can't find it.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

PPB.
24/08/2003 at 12:38
I use Tiscali. Service has been a bit slow recently, but that might have been due to these damned worms clogging up the Net.

Only been with them for a month, and chose them on the strength of a good sign-up deal. Fairly happy so far.

I think they allow sharing - best to check the website.

HTH!
24/08/2003 at 12:45
I've been with aol on and off ('cos I get curious about other isp's) for years, and always come back to aol. Now got broadband and very happy with it. If ever help is needed, their telephone and online help desks (although usually if I need help it's 'cos I can't get on line!) are excellent.

But I know that lots of people moan about them so..........
24/08/2003 at 12:55
Who? Me?

:o)
24/08/2003 at 13:56
whats the best value broadband supplier now - NTL seels very competitive - they keep advertising a 15ish connection here but its not available to me - so any others coming down below 20 a month yet ?
24/08/2003 at 13:59
Tiscali do one for £19.99, but it's 256 doobiewhatsits, not the full-speed 512. So 5 times faster than dialup instead of 10.
WildWill    pirate
24/08/2003 at 14:01
I'm with BT - expensive but reliable

Pipex are worth a look
24/08/2003 at 14:29
Done NTL
Not bad
Now Telewest
VV good
24/08/2003 at 14:32
am with plusnet

very happy
nicely networked at home now
and cgi/php/mysql webspace too

course its in my interest to refer you :-)
so drop me an email if you're interested
24/08/2003 at 16:34
Bt Openworld for me. Excellent service and reliable, connects every time at 570Kbs.
24/08/2003 at 21:16
Try having a look at:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

I went for Nildram based on a recommendation from a friend at work. Very good so far..
24/08/2003 at 22:27
Ping Pong Boy, are you wanting to use a machine as a gateway to the internet, and then link your laptop using cat 5? You can do this with AOL, if that's what you're trying to do. Just need to manually set up a network connection and specify which NIC you want to use to allow the connections. if you're not sure have a look on http://technet.microsoft.com

24/08/2003 at 22:28
at internet connection sharing
24/08/2003 at 22:29
i love my wi-fi :)
25/08/2003 at 14:08
Thanks for the info folks. I'm planning on sharing the connection wirelessly so I can use a laptop on my knees (as well as connect with my main PC) and I can't be bothered running cables through the flat.

I'll check out adslguide and take it from there. NTL & Virgin seem to have some good deals at the moment.

Cheers

PPB.
25/08/2003 at 15:42
I use NTL - the broadband service is very good and extremely reliable, but I think you need to take out telephone line rental - and get a cable tv box as well to be able to use their broadband (I may be wrong on this).
Oh and pray that they don't c*ck anything up as they are without doubt the most beaurocratically (sic) inept company in Britain. I only put up with them because they are cheap and I don't want to contribute to Murdoch's empire.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.