broken leg

BROKEN LEG BROKEN SPIRIT

4 messages
02/03/2006 at 17:43
I have never posted any thing on here before but I do read the forum and I have read runnersworld for more years than than I can count on one hand.
Two weeks ago I fell down some strairs and broke my right leg between the foot and knee.
There was already a lump on the bone from a hair line fracture caused by running. A doctor told me 11 years ago that this had healed and all was ok . Last week in the hostpital this damage was picked up by the doctors and they pointed out that more recent damage had formed.
My question is has anybody come a cross this before and did you start to run after recovery.
The doctors say that I should be able to run again. However this has completly smashed my confidence as a runner (and anything else at the moment)If I started training again I think that I would worry about falling apart again.
Thank you Jeremy
cougie    pirate
02/03/2006 at 17:56
When it heals it will be stronger than ever before.

You'll not be able to run for 6 weeks or so, but you can do stuff like indoor cycling, ski machines and the like when the cast is off.

Don't be a big girls blouse and get over it - its only a broken leg.

Good luck !
02/03/2006 at 18:01
WVM -- it will heal like any broken bone. It will need a period of around 6 weeks to heal the bone... then a period of rehab to rebuild the muscle which is likely to waste if you're in plaster. All in all probably around 3 months I would think... then we'll be seeing you posting telling us how great it is to be back running again.

I broke my back in March 1997. I was running by July.
02/03/2006 at 20:13
I'm no expert but swimming can play a big part in your recovery - non-impact aerobic training.

You need to stay positive. If you can't do any exercise for a couple of months, why not use the time to do some reading about running and fitness, to educate and help motivate you once you're fit again? Make some plans.

It's a tough break alright WVM, and you're obviously feeling some despair at the moment, but try to be realistic. You'll be out of circulation for a few weeks only. Imagine how you'd be feeling if your accident had left you paralysed?

It's bad, but could be a lot worse. Chin up.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.