Calling Timothy Rainey

Training question

14 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/05/2005 at 16:53
Am looking at trying a 50-miler at the end of June. Question is, can I do it off my marathon and triathlon training? My training is limited by time constraints, I can run between 10 and 20km per day with a long run at the weekend. Adding in my general fitness from tri training, especially the biking, can I realistically expect to finish within the 16 hour cutoff? I've done under 16 for Ironman triathlons.
16/05/2005 at 17:10
IW. Don't want to jump in on Timothy's thread, but when I did Comrades (54 miles) in 97 I did it on not much more than usual marathon training, just doubled up on my running on some days to get the weekly mileage up and my longest runs were a couple of marathons as 'training runs'.

The cutoff of 16 hours seems quite generous for a 50 miler, it was 11 hours for Comrades back then although it has apparently slipped out to 12 hours now.

Definitely go for it, you have got the mental toughness and experience of ultra distance events from your Ironman races.
Duck Girl    pirate
16/05/2005 at 17:24
Sorry to butt in, but i recently did Thames Meander (55m with 4kg pack, & getting lost!) in 11 hrs (3rd lady).
Basically as mara training (my mara times average 4hrs) with some longer long runs every other week - 4*30+, 1*35+. biking & IM might be an advantage as you'll be used to more time on feet? Not saying my training is the optimal but it worked!
Which 50m are you doing? To be honest i wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you've done IM - there's nothing magic about 26.2, & in some ways i found ultras easier 'cos you get to walk the odd bit, eat malt loaf, pace yourself, etc. - definitely friendlier than an 'as fast as possible all the way round' mara.
16/05/2005 at 17:30
Go for it Ironwolf. I haven't done a 50 but have done 2 x 40s, and am planning on doing a couple of other biggies towards the end of the year. Ultras are the best races by far as very few people can say that they have done them!
16/05/2005 at 17:32
ok guys, thanks for that, sounds like it's deffo do-able off my current fitness level. I'll give it a go.
Only bit worrying me really is the middle of the night passage through a very dark forest.
16/05/2005 at 17:35
Hang on a sec, you didn't mention that. Don't do it. Those dark forests are pretty scary at night.
16/05/2005 at 17:35
the one I'm looking at has an average field of about 3000.
16/05/2005 at 17:38
Hello Ironwolf-notice new nickname, I think those comments are spot on. End of June isn't really far enough away to do follow a long training plan now anyway, with a 16 hour cutoff I guess its a slow course, since you mention very dark forest is it off road? And self navigating? I think you'd regard it as more of a long hike broken up with short stretches of running over the easier sections.
Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Tim
16/05/2005 at 17:40
oh Richard, do you mean that? All runners are required to have a torch or headlamp and reflective vest. If you think I really shouldn't do it, p'raps I'd better not. Or maybe I should just take Oz with me on that lap.
16/05/2005 at 17:43
It's mostly road, 4 laps, start is at 1700, 16 control stations, course closes 9am. I'm thinking with that number of aid stations they can't be far apart.
Duck Girl    pirate
16/05/2005 at 17:45
Coooool. Where?
more than 1 station a mile?
& i really like my tikka+ lamp, though also eyes in the dark is good.
16/05/2005 at 17:48
LDG - it's in south Germany. This year is the 25th anniversary, which seems like a good time to do it as our 25th wedding anniversary is the same week.
16/05/2005 at 19:08
My wife would definitly object if I did an ultra to "celebrate" our silver wedding anniversary (which is still a few years off-gives me time to work on her!!)
good luck.

Oh, is that 16 controls for the whole 50 miles, so 4 per lap? That's more than London to Brighton where they're every 5 miles.
17/05/2005 at 08:46
I wonder why they have such a ridiculously large amount of checkpoints.

I presume you dont have to check in at each one and can just run straight past the majority of them as you feel,...or youd waste 15 minutes over the course getting your number taken at the checks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.