Calorie Burning

6 messages
09/06/2007 at 13:40
I have started to use Map my run as a tool to find new runs etc and I find it really helpfull. Did my long slow run of just under 8 miles today and it calculates that I burnt 1076 calories ? The run took 1 hr 20 and I am around 200 lbs is this any where near acurate as it seems a lot of calories to burn ?
09/06/2007 at 13:51
A very rough rule of thumb is 100 cals per mile, but I can't really see how MapMyRun could possibly give much more than an estimate, unless you enter height, weight, average and max heart rate etc - and even then it would be an estimate based on that.

Unless the route was very hilly, it does sound a lot for the distance.
09/06/2007 at 13:51
Sounds about right, Rob :o) At 200lb, you can expect to use around 150 calories a mile.
09/06/2007 at 13:55
[bows to Dino's superior knowledge]

:o)
09/06/2007 at 13:56
you do submit the weight and time u can add in heart rate but I don't as I have no monitor. I am sure it is a rough estimate I just wondered how rough it was ?
09/06/2007 at 14:00
It's rough but not completely unrealistic, Rob.

When I'm road-running, a simple calculation (weight in stones x 10 x miles run) gives me almost exactly the same calorie burn as my HRM does. Out on the hills, it becomes a lot less accurate.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.