Can I run a half marathon on 2 weeks' training?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
22/01/2015 at 00:59
Similar here. I stopped running since November. Just joined gym last week and start to run again. I've register in a half-marathon in South Devon on Feb 7th. A 2-week training plan from anyone? It would be mine first half-marathon. Any suggestions?
22/01/2015 at 07:34
Hi Jennifer, you say you were running until November. What sort of fitness did you have in November, what sort of distances were you running and, although you haven't run for a couple of months, have you been doing any sort of exercise to keep your fitness up?

I would say that a HM on 2 weeks training is a big ask unless you have a base fitness level.
22/01/2015 at 08:02

Duh!

Rule one of forum (well maybe not)

Check the date of the thread. This one finished in 2007. 

22/01/2015 at 19:29
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I was running casually, 3-4 times a week, 5-10miles per week. The longest distance I've done is 10k. After November I rarely do any exercise as I just started my first job after graduation. I signed up for a gym near my work place and joined a few classes eg. Nike training club or Spinning. Then I ran twice last week on treadmill, 5k each time
22/01/2015 at 21:31
As Ric says, this is quite an old thread so it may be better to start a new thread specifically to discuss your question.

I'm not an expert but I have run three half marathons and each time I have followed a twelve week plan from a book called "how to run" by Paula Radcliffe, the plan I followed for my first one gradually worked up to a fourteen mile run and it was a great feeling taking part knowing that I had done the distance before and that I could finish it.

Personally I don't think that it would be possible to train for a half marathon in two weeks having never run further than 10k if you wanted to run the entire course, although if you are not too bothered about finishing in a specific time you could employ a run/walk strategy.

I would advise starting a new thread on this subject and hopefully you will get some constructive advice.
Edited: 22/01/2015 at 21:33
23/01/2015 at 12:03

Question for me would be Why?

If the longest you have run is 10k and have not run seriously since November you will at best have a miserable 2 weeks and a miserable race.

My suggestion would be to find a 10k race for the same weekend and a HM 12-15 weeks from now. Will cost more but it will be more enjoyable and will do yourself justice.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.