can-i-say-ive--ran-a-half-marathon

21 to 40 of 56 messages
12/08/2013 at 21:14

Long distance running is more a mental battle with yourself than against other people. You can only push yourself so far in training. 

There is nothing that can compare to getting to the home straight seeing the clock and realising your under your goal time. 

I don't think I'll ever be able to stimulate myself enough in training to actually run as fast as I would in a race. 

I am also trying for a sub 2 hour half marathon. just reached 12.6 miles in 2hrs 8 mins 23 secs so not as quick as your run but I have been doing the 10% rule each week.

Funny thing is as soon as I finish the half marathon I'm then going to start my marathon training. It never ends

12/08/2013 at 21:27

Having a race goal is a great motivator. Your training will be focused on peaking at certain times of the year, whereas running for general fitness is more of a continuous improvement. For example I have used indoor rowing for general fitness which has always consisted of a 3 week cycle repeated.

With running races I'm looking to peak come race day . If you run using a training plan it will leave you peaking at the end of the plan - use that training and check out how you did in a race. You can do a time trial on your own, but it's not half as much fun as a race, and sticking a number on your vest can have some surprising effects.

Edited: 12/08/2013 at 21:28
12/08/2013 at 21:47

2:08/9 in training with hills probably equals a sub 2 on a flattish course in a real race surely?!

13/08/2013 at 08:23
Cinders wrote (see)

If I ever raced to win then I'd never do a race 

Ha ha, me neither 

13/08/2013 at 09:40

You could be really unlucky like me and pick a half marathon that isn't measured correctly - mine was Cardiff HM 2010 so technically it didn't count. I've done several since though so doesn't really matter now.

As others have said, you can say you've ran half marathon distance, just not I've ran a half marathon which implies entering an organised race. I've done training runs of half marathon or more distance 40 odd times but I'd still only say I've done 8 half marathons (controversially counting Cardiff 2010!)

13/08/2013 at 11:47

Ok, looks like I'm going to give it a go. I've looked online for a local HM and the Redcar and Cleveland has popped up. My worry is it is in 46 days, will this be enough time to prepare for it and if anyone has ran it would they say it is newbie friendly for a first HM. 

If people don't think it's suitable do they have any reccomendations for other races. 

Thanks, Peter. 

13/08/2013 at 11:51

For the full marathon it is a bit more specific again. When talking to non runners, you can only say you have run a marathon if you ran London (VLM). Any other marathon just doesn't cut it. It is not worth explaining that you ran xxxx marathon, and then explaining that yes it was 26.2 miles, and no you didn't do it for charity, and  no one wore a Rhino outfit.  Hope that helps for the future.

13/08/2013 at 12:03

If you can already do the 13 miles I'd say you are already prepared - you can put the icing on the cake for the last 46 days and I'd bet on you going sub 2 too! I've been known to run halves off a long run of 10 miles nevermind more!

Hope you do it - if it helps take the "race" tag away for you - I often look at events as days out where someone has kindly organised a run route for me so I don't have to worry about where to go or how far I'm doing.  My own times are not always in danger regardless of anyone else and I often rate a "race" by how much I've enjoyed myself whatever time I do!

Have a brilliant time - will hopefully see your posting about how you got on

Edited: 13/08/2013 at 12:03
13/08/2013 at 12:03
Both times I've run London I didn't do it for charity or run in a costume so I take it that doesn't count.
13/08/2013 at 17:33

Is it a bit selfish to run just for me? Do I have to bug my friends and family for sponsorship if I do a marathon?

13/08/2013 at 18:27

Of course you don't.  It's your choice whether you wish to raise money or not!

13/08/2013 at 18:28

No actually, Kelvin, it is selfish and also it doesn't count unless you do it in fancy dress. 

13/08/2013 at 19:25

lol literatin. maybe I'll do 20 practice marathons before I do my real fancy dress marathon

13/08/2013 at 21:38

Same here Millsy - I have still to make my marathon debut. I have done some practice marathons out in the sticks,in various cities  and also at London as one of those jokers who run for themselves. Unfortunately my peer group don't understand those as marathons.

I forgot to add that to claim you ran a marathon it is customary to come on RW 4 weeks before the race and ask for help as you haven't started training yet as you were busy knitting your costume / sitting in a bath of beans for charity / or were drunk one night and decided to run. Then you meet the critera to say you ran a marathon (altough you may well walk it).

13/08/2013 at 22:21
You forgot to add the bit about coming on here and saying your Garmin measured it long and having a moan that the organisers measured it wrong.
A marathon is at least 26.7 miles!
13/08/2013 at 22:25

Think I did it wrong - the one I did was only 26.25.

14/08/2013 at 10:34

Booked in for the Redcar and Cleveland. As this is only a HM, and my first official HM would it be acceptable to just wear a funny hat and put a pound in a charity box at the end. Will I finally then be able to say that I ran a half marathon? I know it's not the GNR but it'll have to do. 

14/08/2013 at 10:37

Well done peter. Not sure about the hat. It will depend how funny it is. Perhaps you should post a photo here so we can all judge.

14/08/2013 at 12:05

One of those hats that can hold a couple of beer cans with a tube to drink from  would be more than acceptable. Well done Peter

14/08/2013 at 12:37

I only mention times that I can find online and show people on a race/run website. 

wait until the race to say you've done a HM because your time will be much better than your practise run and therefore more impressive to non running friends. 

Also- like others have said- you know you can run the distance because you have done it. Just focus on some specific speed endurance and keep your long run going and come race day you'll have already done the job!

21 to 40 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.