Can I store a treadmill in a garage?

1 to 20 of 44 messages
28/08/2008 at 09:28

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a new treadmill for home use (as petrol costs to get to my gym are getting so high these days).

However I dont have room in my house for one, but my garage is fine.

Most people say that storing a treadmill in a garage is fine, but one or two do not recommend it.

Yes my garage does get cold in the winter but if I cover it up will it be OK?

Many thanks,

Andy

28/08/2008 at 09:34
My treadmill lives in the garage, had it nearly 2 years, and it's still going strong, not that it gets much use (i.e. none) for 10 months of the year.
28/08/2008 at 09:38

My treadmill also lives in the garage - it's better to run in there as it's cooler, and your house doesn't end up stinking like a gym!

I'd look to buy a second hand or reconditioned one though - far cheaper.

28/08/2008 at 09:42

Andy

if it's what u want to do - just do it,

if it does'nt work out fair enough

keep fit, stay happy

the things in life that i do, that people don't recommend !!! LMAO

28/08/2008 at 09:47

What a great idea!

Much as I hate the idea of a treadmill, and I thought I had no room for one either, I had never considered the garage!  DOH.  I realise that practically when it is really nasty and dark in the winter it might not be easy to get out for runs, and not safe either, so this seems a good option.  I might check out ebay or freecylce even......Just the little question of how to combat the boredom now...I wonder if I could set up a TV in the garage??!!

28/08/2008 at 09:50

Thanks all for your responses.

I take it then, that even though my garage does get quite nippy in the winter shouldn't have any adverse effects on the treadmill?

I am looking to spend (oh I dunno) £400-£600 on a treadmill - any recommendations?

Thanks again,

Andy 

28/08/2008 at 09:51

Andy

buy me one as well if you like -

28/08/2008 at 09:53

I've got a punch bag in the garage - it's mainly used now as a clothes horse  (but only because I go to a class to punch actual people now rather than an inanimate object, honestly).

I'd say sod the treadmill and the gym altogether and run in the great outdoors!

28/08/2008 at 09:57

@ RP, you can't, running on a treadmill is the DULLEST thing I have ever done, it really REALLY is boring, it almost bores me to tears.

However, sometimes in the depths of winter, it's the lesser of two evils, although this year I am going to try and minimise it as much as possible.

I brought mine from Argos, it was £250 with a free cross trainer, so we have a little gym setup in the garage.

Last winter in was -8c at some points, and it didn't effect the treadmill, however, coming out of the garage after a run, into the cold temp is not pleasent at all, especially if it's raining/snowing.

28/08/2008 at 11:10
I'd recommend buying a thermal top and a reflective vest then give the rest of the money to me and go running outside
28/08/2008 at 11:28
I bought the treadie so I could run when hubby wasn't home from work on time to look after little un.....they do have their place.
28/08/2008 at 11:30
LozF - treadmills or hubbies?
28/08/2008 at 11:32
I am definately going to get one.....for emergencies....treadmill that is!
28/08/2008 at 12:00

Andy, so long as your garage is dry it should be ok stored there.

Our garage does suffer from damp, but we do have a few items stored there, as no room in the house. We have simply bought a ground sheet./ plastic cover to put over them when not in use - stops the cold / damp getting to them too much.

The bonus of having a treadmill in the garage, is that you wont hear the noise in the house.

28/08/2008 at 12:20

How much do people think you have to spend to get a decent treadmill?

I mean, I would not want to use it for the bulk of my runs, only when the weather is so bad I can't get out, but I would like something that will do the job without falling apart.  I know nothing about them you see.

I saw this on ebay....would this be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REEBOK-BLUE-iRUN-PLUS-TREADMILL-i-RUN-RRP-499_W0QQitemZ220273396716QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220273396716&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

28/08/2008 at 12:34
Our cross trainer is a reebok i-trainer one, and that is very good quality.
28/08/2008 at 12:38

Hi,

I've got my treadmill in the shed (brick built - so it's like a garage) and it's fine.  I have got a little heater in there though that keeps the temp above 5 degrees.  That's not for the benefit of the treadie by the way, it's cos the shed doubles as a kennel for my dog during the day.

I will second the comments above.  I used to have it indoors but it's far better out there, the cooler temps make running more comfortable and there's no worrying about the noise waking the kids up.

Got mine second hand so can't advise much on the new ones...sorry.

28/08/2008 at 12:47
Cool, thanks Dan.  I just wondered if there were any particular features that I need to look out for or avoid.  Not sure of the termonology, like the max speed and weight etc.
28/08/2008 at 12:47
Aspen, your poor dog....do you put him the treadmill for excercise?
28/08/2008 at 12:53

Cheers for your comments - Elusive, Aspen and all!

I think the Garage sounds like the ideal place.

1 to 20 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.