Can someone please explain....

why people pace when talking on a mobile

20 messages
10/11/2004 at 10:59
There are some people in the office for a meeting and it seems impossible for them to talk on their mobiles without pacing up and down the entire length of the corridor. Why can't people stand still and talk? Is it to make them look more important ie. everyone can see and hear how important they are?

Also, do men pace more than woman?
10/11/2004 at 11:22
I've caught myself doing this!!!!

Can't help with "why" though :o)
10/11/2004 at 11:23
well if they just stood still, they wouldn't be mobiles would they.
10/11/2004 at 11:23
I can't stand still when I'm on the mobile, maybe thats why its called "a mobile":) no idea why, it just seems more comfortable than standing.
cougie    pirate
10/11/2004 at 11:30
Helps with bloodflow, and therefore thinking. Maybe.

I just like keeping mobile though so I probably do it myself.
10/11/2004 at 11:46
i think mobile refers to the fact that it's cordless not to the fact that the speaker has to be mobile. i can understand how people walk in the street and talk but not why they have to walk up and down a corridor. i think it's to do with "look how important i am".

for instance i've known executives, during a coffee break at a conference to have fake conversations rather than not look important enough to immediately get onto their phones during a break.

saddos!
10/11/2004 at 11:48
the microwaves in the phone signal create an imbalance in the small bones of the inner ear which means it is very difficult to remain motionless

;-)
10/11/2004 at 11:49
heard this amusing story how a conference delegate left his mike on after giving a presentation and went outside to make a call. he proceeded to say that the meeting was as boring as hell and the usual pile of sh*te. His conversation was broadcast loud and clear over the P.A much to the amusement of all the delegates. aaaah the joys of modern technology. i'd like to know if he kept his job.
10/11/2004 at 12:09
There was someone talking on his mobile while using the gents at work yesterday.

I think he was on pay as you go.

I'll get me coat.
10/11/2004 at 12:10
I use a dect phone in the house and I pace round the house, even up and down stairs while talking, no idea why, maybe its just because you can..
10/11/2004 at 12:11
:-)
10/11/2004 at 12:26
Oh my God, I do this! I received a call whilst walking along the street the other day, and promptly started walking the other way; I must have looked very odd!
10/11/2004 at 12:29
that's hilarious!
10/11/2004 at 12:29
i've seen 2 amusing things recently regarding mobile phones, one was a couple sat in a pub, both talking to different people on their mobiles, and the other was a couple of wide boy business men who when one of their phones started ringing, didn't no which one and the first one answered his, and it still rang so the second one answered his and after all that it was a wrong number, hilarious. I hate the bloody things, irritating ringing wherever you go, especially hate it in restaurants, why don't people turn them off or onto silent?

Yes........ i do have one.......... and yes i pace too, hmmmmmmm
10/11/2004 at 12:30
I never walk and talk - I always forget either what I'm talking about or where I'm going. I always have to sit down and talk - then I can concentrate better!!
10/11/2004 at 12:31
you must be male then..... sorry couldn't resist that one
10/11/2004 at 12:35
i'm with you pavement. if i'm not already walking somewhere I too stay still. I realised that sometimes while talking and walking i hardly concentrate when crossing roads and have reached my destination and had no recollection of walking there. i'm sure they're responsible for more people getting knocked down by cars.

btw - i think blokes pace more than woman.
10/11/2004 at 12:42
If its a friend/family call I pace but if its a business call where you will probably have to write I don't pace...

Btw, am I the only one that can't hold the phone trapped between shoulder and ear, it just shoots out onto the floor...
10/11/2004 at 13:00
Lol Gaz!! Mobiles are too small nowadays to hold between shoulder and ear. On the odd occasion i've tried it I have ended up looking very "special".
10/11/2004 at 14:30
anyone got fined for talking and driving apart from me yet??

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.