Can't sleep after a run

81 to 90 of 90 messages
17/10/2006 at 23:00
I agree with the writer about a cool shower, I think that helps; also the ibuprofen if soreness is an issue. I have found that eating after the run (and shower!) something like oatmeal or cereal is helpful. I think its in the milk.
18/10/2006 at 08:25
I find the best natural sleeping aid is something to nibble on about 1-2 hours before bed. Ideally something with a little bit of fat on it, and something sweet eg:a couple of biscuits with cheese on, and a handful of raisins.
This just relaxes me and helps me drift off pretty easily.
18/10/2006 at 10:11
I once read in the New Scientist that tests have shown that we don't need actual sleep to renew ourselves. Apparently if you just lie down and rest that is enough.

This could be utter tosh but it sometimes helps me drop off if I manage to convince myself it's true when lying there at 3 in the morning! It takes away the anxieties of the consequences of not sleeping.
18/10/2006 at 12:57
If this is true Rosie it is very reassuring for us all. I've often wondered which scenario is the most debilitating, not getting the sleep or the anxiety caused by insomnia.
18/10/2006 at 14:16
I think it's psychological as much as physical-especially when you get in that vicious cycle of not being able to sleep-worrying about not being able to sleep and therefore finding it harder to sleep.

It's best after a night of no sleep to not dwell on it at all. Resist saying anything to anyone and trick your body in to thinking you're wide awake! I'm speaking from immediate experience-I only got 3 hours last night!
19/10/2006 at 12:06
Well you've managed to put together a coherent post Rosie so you've convinced me anyway !
20/10/2006 at 14:00
This one worked for me last night. Having read all the stuff about not worrying about it, I decided to give it a go. I just lay there thinking "right, I'm going to be awake, but I'll let my mind drift where it wants, just shove any unpleasant work related thoughts out of my head." I'm not sure if it's just me, but when my eyes are closed I can see odd patterns of light and dark, so I decided to just relax and "watch" the light patterns. Next thing I knew was when I woke up at 5.30am. Five hours in total! Result!

Oh God I sound like a psycho....
20/10/2006 at 23:45
No, that's good - I do use earplugs now as I have always been sensitive to noise, but I now only sleep six hours and wake every two or so, like Sinewaif and Andy F. I am going to monitor my sleep now to see if there is any correlation between days running and sleeplessness.
22/10/2006 at 01:18
interesting takes on not sleeping how to sleep. You dont know how lucky you are I work nights os my runs are either ealry in the morning after work or mid afternoon. Weekends are a night mare try to get on normal peoples time for two days. Chocolate, stretch lightly lie down empty your mind follow your breath, sleep follows shortly after.
17/07/2007 at 15:40
To all fellow insomniacs, I thought this was worth a boing!

Some new sleep tips-

I have discovered this great tea which has worked really well for me. It's called Valerian Plus and it's available in most good health food shops. It's made by a company called Dr Stuarts. Valerian is a herb often used in herbal sleeping tablets. It takes some getting used to the smell but believe me, it's worth it!

The other thing is to block out all light at night time. Put a blanket up over your curtains or better still by a black out blind. I know this is difficult when it's hot but if you can manage it's worth it. I've found this combined with the tea had me snoozing all night!

Hope it helps!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 90 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.