Can't sleep after a run

1 to 20 of 90 messages
03/10/2006 at 13:51
Hi
I have to do my weekday and some weekend runs in the evening (7-8ish)
The nights after my runs I don't get to sleep very well, I've stopped using a recovery drink 'cos I thought it was keeping me awake, but it's not made much difference. Think it's to do with endorphins but I'm not sure what to do about it.
Any advice folks?
03/10/2006 at 14:08
Watch telly all night.
03/10/2006 at 14:14
you should know by now not to ask silly questions,

nothing much you can do about it really unless you change the time you run
03/10/2006 at 14:24
I think it can be due to your body temperature being too high. If you try having a cool shower after your run, rather than a hot one, that might help.

03/10/2006 at 14:27
I often run up to 10pm at night.

I don't have any problem getting to sleep:o)

FAS
03/10/2006 at 14:48
I suffer teribly from this problem. Every Tues night after a track session, I get to sleep and wake up at 1.30-2.00pm and am awake til 4.30 - I always go back to sleep around then. Now I get up when I wake up at 1.30 cos otherwise I know I'll just lie there wide awake so I might as well get up. The same thing happens every night of a race even tho' it might have been a 10.00am start - I can never sleep without a 2-3 hour gap in the middle. I've tried herbal sleeeping tablets but they dont work. It doesnt happen after a steady run, just after hard sessions or races.
I honestly cant remember a day when this hasnt happened - yet otherwise I sleep normally for 8 hours a night.
I dont want to do sessions in the morning because i cant with work and besides I enjoy training hard with others - cant do the same on my own.
Is this just adrenalin or is there any other scientific reason? It is so annoying cos I feel so spaced out on mondays and Wednesdays and am usually asleep at 9.00 on these nights!
03/10/2006 at 20:06
FAS, I'm not even getting to sleep, jus lying there wide awake 'till 3 or 4am. Like you I notice it more after the hard sessions/midweek races, although it always happens to some degree if I run/bike in the evenings, not noticed it happening after morning sessions though.
If i'm running/biking 3 or 4 times a week in the evening, after a couple of weeks i'm shattered.

Free Radical, What's the secret then?
03/10/2006 at 21:09
Run mornings?

Go to bed with any book by Franz Kafka.
JJ
03/10/2006 at 21:11
I use Nocte and have started with paracetomol or Ibuprofen (400mg) if I've done a long run and can still feel it in my legs.

If it's really bad then a Nytol tablet does the job.
03/10/2006 at 21:13
I am with JJ on this try running early mornings and see if that makes a difference.

03/10/2006 at 21:26
legs having a mind of there own,there a medical term for this.i usually knock back a few bottles of magners after a long run,works for me.
03/10/2006 at 21:33
Mmmmmmm, Magners. tried it for the frst time at the weekend, luvverly! But hardly a good start to the GNR weekened!!!
Blisters    pirate
03/10/2006 at 21:35
I'll often train in the 10pm-11pm slot, have a shower, catch up on the forum and hit the sack at midnight. After a week or two the fatigue sets in and getting to sleep isn't a problem. My difficulty is that I don't have enough of it, and have a tiredness dip after lunch, or at 3pm.

I think that you have to force yourself into a routine.

If I'm still a bit "live" when I go to bed I read a boring book (not a novel) until the eyes have had enough. That does it. TV does not do it for me. I enter a state of transfixed stupor, which is almost asleep but only half the value.
FAS
03/10/2006 at 21:56
back from tracke session of 16x 400s - & having had tea will go to bed with a book - I dont ahve a problem with leg soreness or anything -so no good taking ibuprofen- so will see if anything should change tonight- I darent take nytol - I think I'd rather feel spaced out from lack of sleep rather than spaced out from nytol!
FAS
04/10/2006 at 03:57
See- I wonder if this is psychosymatic - it cant be a pattern because it diesnt happen other nights! Oh dear & I have to work tomorow eve so I'll feel lousy!
04/10/2006 at 04:36
I struggle sleeping 'til I run. Up at 3am this AM and off for run in a mo. Then I can sleep. Don't know which predicament is worse:o-
04/10/2006 at 04:49
I always toil the night after a run, even if I have done it midday.

You accept it as being normal and work your way around it.
04/10/2006 at 07:45
I don't get enough sleep, long working day, so when I do hit the sack its usually 5 mins and I'm gone
04/10/2006 at 13:56
Have to fit runs in the evenings, the early mornings are no good. Don't like taking ibruprofen much (does nasty things to the stomach), and don't fancy nytol either. Like FAS I only have this problem on the days that I've been running.
I've heard mixed messages about the Nocte - any thoughts?
06/10/2006 at 11:28
Do you eat before or after your run? When i trained for FLM i used to run about the same time and then would have my tea and then couldn't sleep. When i changed the order of things (i.e. tea at 5 over my desk then run at 7 8 ish) i slept better. But i also reduced my milage and intensity and that helped too.
1 to 20 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.