Carrying Stuff in Races

What is allowed?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
cougie    pirate
09/09/2002 at 16:51
Yeah. Why wouldn't it be legal ? I would have thought that the weight of carrying these things would make the elite racers avoid them, but for us humble people who take twice as long - it's worth it.
I ran London with 3 Gel sachets in my belt bag, but luckily the Lucozade at the feed stations saw me through.

I doubt Paula needs food after just 8k though.
09/09/2002 at 17:26
I've noticed that over even very short sprint distances the elite males often keep a snack tucked into their shorts, the banana seems a popular choice.
09/09/2002 at 18:30
There was a bloke in the Buxton half carrying a 50kg rucksack on his back for fun.

Just think of all the grub you could stuff in there !

I think if I ever did a marathon, I'd take along a light lunch for the half way point. Maybe a cornish pasty and a can of john smiths - that would just fit in the bumbag.
09/09/2002 at 19:09
tim, you haven't done many races then, it amazing what people carry when running in them the list is endless. If I ever do another marathon I will carry a huge bag of jellybabies to get me round. Eating and running are two very enjoyable activities which ocasionally can be done at the same time.
09/09/2002 at 19:25
On some of the races in Europe they have food stations. I prefer my food after the races myself but do use energy gels.
It used to be against the rules to drink in a race less than 10,000m but over the last couple of years they even have then in track races.
I don't bother in 10km myself [I'm worried it might slow me down]
09/09/2002 at 19:44
I have seen runners in races pushing pushchairs and pulling dogs on leads,not at the same time of course.I would say carrying small foodstuffs like Bananas would not be a problem.Just be careful with skin.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
09/09/2002 at 20:01
I always carry gel and/or jelly babies on races longer than 10km. For those runners who travel to other countries, there's some really weird choices of sustenance out there. One race in France gives out wine at the drinks stations! There's a really long 24 hour race in Italy and every village you pass through has a refreshment station, with everything from salami sandwiches to pizza!
26/09/2002 at 21:03
Neilruns wrote:
"I've noticed that over even very short sprint distances the elite males often keep a snack tucked into their shorts, the banana seems a popular choice."

LOL!
26/09/2002 at 21:13
I'm glad he told us it was a banana - I had been wondering!!
27/09/2002 at 14:51
Races up to 10 miles - carry nothing
10 miles+half M -carry one drinks bottle, discarded after use
Marathon - one drinks bottle , discarded after use + waterstations

It causes me no end of giggles when I see people with bumbags for halfMs with gel sachets (usually half a dozen) attached + the obligatory water bottle (acceptable).

At GSR saw one guy with a huge camelpak thingee - hey man its only 10 miles.I think the advantage gained by being (over)hydrated is offset by the extra weight.

The question therefore is do the same runners take there backpacks and gels on training runs ???
27/09/2002 at 15:32
I did a recent adventure race (short one, 3.5 hrs) with a camelbak, and a gel (and a bottle on the bike) and drank it all. I have also used these things on training runs just to get used to them. I have worn the camelbak on 30min runs, which looks silly, and people shake their heads as though I am a lunatic, but is is all part and parcel of training. You wouldn't set off on a race in brand new shoes, or in different shorts - who knows what will happen. I also tested a gel on a 45 min run, for taste and to see if my stomach liked it. Unfortunately it killed my apetite and ruined dinner...
27/09/2002 at 15:59
Dustin - you must have some good giggles at me then. I always run half marathons with a bumbag and some energy gel. No other reason than sometimes one wants a little more than just water and I find I crave something sweet. I do take my gels on training runs when training for a marathon because I want to train with what I'll be having on the day. And the bum bag at races is great for valuables so these don't have to be left in my kit bag.
27/09/2002 at 16:03
In the London Marathon, you don't need to worry because the spectators feed you. Must ask them to bring some drinking-temperature coffee if I ever do it again. Unwrapping a slightly sticky Starburst on the run isn't easy, though.

I can cope comfortably without anything on training runs up to about 10 miles, but like Chris I've tried out drinks and gels and bars on shorter runs just to see if they help and if my stomach can handle them (no on both counts).
Monique    pirate
27/09/2002 at 17:05
As far as the legality of carrying food/drink goes, I did once hear someone say that it was against the rules, but they could have been making it up. When they checked our kit in the FLM (championship place) they did question my arm purse stuffed with jelly beans, but they missed the glucose tablets down my shorts!
27/09/2002 at 18:55
I prefer fruit pastilles myself, but you have to suck them not chew........
27/09/2002 at 21:41
I was wondering how big a bag you should be taking, with your drinks bottle, gels,jelly babies/jellybeans/starbursts/pastilles/glucose tablets, blister plasters, vaseline (you never know what might start rubbing) and even toilet paper(just incase). Maybe that 50kg rucksack might not be such a bad idea...
27/09/2002 at 22:54
Is one allowed to carry a small bicycle?
28/09/2002 at 11:44
Dustin

I hope you won't laugh at me tomorrow. I'm going to carry a whole medical team in my bum bag including crash trolley. Do you think I'm being over cautious ?
28/09/2002 at 11:58
I ran the Flymo half-marathon some years back,and two guys were eating bags of chips given to them by their "trainer" on a bike....unbelievable
28/09/2002 at 12:54
On almost all of my runs, including races (I'll have it at Windsor), I have a belt with a water bottle and carry my mobile, tissues and keys in the pouch part. If I end up doing my long run late in the morning I'll stuff a special K bar in there as well. I don't use my mobile during races, but have used it on training runs when I've gone on a new route and thought I got lost.
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.