Carrying water

How?

17 messages
WildWill    pirate
20/08/2002 at 14:24
I normally just carry 1 or 2 bottles of Poweraid in my hands while running – sometime I use a runners belt that has space for a water bottle but I normally only take this on runs exceeding 2 and a half hours to give me the extra capacity,

Occasionally I’ll make my long training runs multiple loops and just pick up a fresh bottle each time I pass the car

Will
20/08/2002 at 14:24
Hi Tim

A number of ways - either carrying a bottle with me (the 'loop' bottle which allows you to hold it in your hand comfortably), have a cyclist with you to attend to your every need or arrange for "spectators" to be along the route with refreshments.
20/08/2002 at 14:35
Hi Tim,

I do any one or a combination of the following:

1. Wear a water carrier belt (not my fave because it gets very hot under the belt!);

2. Take a few pounds in my pocket to buy water at a corner shop (shopkeeper is my pal and used to me coming in dripping with sweat, but he doen't encourage me to hang around!);

3. Carry a loop bottle or two (water gets v. warm, though);

4. Leave bottles on my windowsill and plan a loop route;

5. Hide a bottle on the route (can get stolen, though).

Happy drinking!

DC
20/08/2002 at 14:35
Hello,
I use a loop bottle for runs of one to two hours. If I'm doing marathon training I carry my loop bottle and also have a larger bottle in a belt behind me. This usually does the trick! I usually have no problem drinking on the run, but during races, if the drinks are in plastic cups I tend to get more on myself than in my mouth!
20/08/2002 at 14:38
Hiya Tim,

I use a water bottle containing Isotonic drink on a waiste band for runs over 13 miles.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to a couple of water fountains on route.
OB
20/08/2002 at 14:41
I only bother for runs over 6 miles when I carry a bottle - I'm comfortable up to 500ml - and/or go round the route the day before and hide a supply. I've never had one disappear yet!!
20/08/2002 at 14:44
Tim

I use a belt for a water bottle for runs over an hour. If you're getting one get the one with bottle angled at 45degrees, far more comfortable than with the bottle vertical and easier to access. Downside is to stop it jiggling around when I run, I have to pull the belt quite tight.

On smaller runs I have one of those loop bottles, which is useful. I started to carry this more or less all the time
20/08/2002 at 14:45
Tim

I'm not keen on anything around my waist - it tends to upset my stomach on long runs - so I now use a Camelbak (rucksack water carrier).

Takes a bit of getting used to, but excellent for drinking on the move.
20/08/2002 at 15:19
"Loop" bottles are sold as Runaid feed bottles. They are plastic and shaped so that you can fit your hand through a hole in the middle (imagine a small rubber ring with a nozzle). They come in 3 sizes.

One word of caution if you leave bottles "en-route". An aquaintance of mine did this once, only to find that some local kids had found one of them, emptied and "refilled" it. Yeeeeuuuuugh!
20/08/2002 at 15:31
Don't bother with a loop bottle - I used to but they don't hold enough. I carry a half litre bottle in a belt for one hour plus runs and if its really warm (I've just spent two weeks in Ibiza) or I'm running two hours plus I'll carry two bottles ( 1 water, 1 isotonic).
I bought an angle 2 bottle belt this year but one of the bottles always falls out, even if I'm running slower than 8 minute pace.
20/08/2002 at 15:38
Hi Tim

I don't bother on runs up to about 7 miles - I just have a big drink before and after. On longer outings, I pop into a shop and buy a bottle of water. If I was doing a lot of long runs in the countryside, I'd definitely invest in one of those backpack things that Martin mentioned.

Cheers, V-rap.

Cheers, V-rap.
20/08/2002 at 15:59
i've got a backpack for runs longer than an hour or so....it's just a small rucksack with a plastic bag full of water in it and a tube with a mouthpiece that sits on one shoulder.....hardly notice i'm carrying it...
20/08/2002 at 17:17
Have two preffered options -either use a Karrimor bum bag with space for 2 750ml bottles - though this does get a bit heavy, they never spill but are not always easy to get back into the holster. Also have a platypus rucksack type thing. Makes drinking on the move very easy - though don't buy a 2litre 'bag' and run with this filled.... weighs a tonne... A one litre one is a much better weight/size...
20/08/2002 at 17:53
I've noticed that it's commmon in Boston to run with a belt with lots of small bottles on it - about 6 or more which look as if they hold about 1/4 pint. Does make the wearer look like one of those tequila shot sellers that go round pubs though...
22/08/2002 at 13:00
I have a running belt which for runs over 10 miles I always use. Although it comes with 500 mil bottle you can fit a 750 mil bottle in there. In the 'bag' piece at the side you can, if you are careful also fit a 330mil lucozade sport pouch. Its a bit heavy and fiddly to get the pouch out but on long runs of 2-45 as I have been doing recently you definately need it.
22/08/2002 at 15:41
Does anyone else find the caps of the loopy bottles absolutely impossible to drink from?
I just can't get on with mine at all.
22/08/2002 at 15:48
LL

Yes, but if you squeeze the bottle and fire the water under your tongue you get more and don't choke in the process.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.