Championchip rubbing

1 to 20 of 63 messages
06/09/2009 at 10:41

Hi again all.

Just checking out my gear for the Great North Run, and commented to a friend that my Championchip must be worn around my ankle with a pretty draconian black velcro strap - she was surpised as when she ran the London marathon her chip could be worn on her lace! That velcro strap is going to rub my ankle raw (I wear running socks that do not come up high).

Anybody found an alternative to the strap?

Sally

06/09/2009 at 11:09

All the races I've done have had the chip threaded on the laces. I've not heard of the ankle strap type.

Anybody else?

06/09/2009 at 11:38

If its a velcro strap you could attach it through the laces anyway. It should be pretty secure. I have an ID tag for my trainers with a velcro strap and doesn't cause any problems.

How are they ever going to know if you strap it to your trainers - or indeed your wrist?

06/09/2009 at 11:59
Winking Giraffe wrote (see)

How are they ever going to know if you strap it to your trainers - or indeed your wrist?

From GNR magazine:

'your chip must be worn on your ankle - not your wrist - so it can be triggered by the timing mats. [you have to] thread your chip onto the Velcro strap and fix it to your ankle...' Both the chip and the velcro strap must be returned after the race.

other info I have found recommends trying to find a really long sock so you can put it over the top (because they really rub) but that sounds equally grim - looking like I am wearing knee high goalie socks!

http://resources.eventdirector.net/EDCCA/SITES/846/ZUSER/howtoVelcro2.jpg

YUK!
06/09/2009 at 12:01
So if it's a mat then what's the problem with lacing the strap through your laces?
06/09/2009 at 12:12

I've had timing chips with the velcro strap before and don't ever remember them being a problem. I certainly don't wear long socks, just normal sports-type ankle socks, and it sits quite nicely on top.

If you're socks are really short (the trainer-liner type?), maybe wear something to protect your ankle, I'm thinking something like a sweat band. If you do the velcro strap up fairly snugly on top of that, it shouldn't move around or rub.

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 12:13
06/09/2009 at 12:16

Chip information

Check the link, should be fine threaded through your laces. Although please note that according to the do's and don't's, if you cross the finish line walking on your hands the chip won't be read

No shit eh?

06/09/2009 at 12:30

Rob - hahaha...'do not cross the finish walking on your hands'...!!! They actually say that! I have enough problem staying on my feet after 13 miles!

It looks like it will be on my laces then. I just wonder why the organisers are so insistent that this should not be done? Perhaps they think thousands of us will slam on the anchors at the finish line and start removing our shoes, thus causing a huge runner pile-up? (another amusing image in my head)!

06/09/2009 at 12:32
You might be right, they might have a collection area right after the finish line and want people to be quick. More fool them though, I would put it on my laces anyway, I'm sure it would be more comfy
06/09/2009 at 12:44
LOL at the "No Walking on Hands" guideline
Edited: 06/09/2009 at 12:45
06/09/2009 at 13:05
I did the GNR last year with the velcro strap around my ankle as advised and wasn't even aware of it during the race.  Good luck Sally and just enjoy the day!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2009 at 13:11

I wore an ankle strap last April for Stratford and the sodding thing has scarred me for life!!!

I'm not joking - there is NO WAY I am putting it on my ankle.

I haven't really looked at my GNR pack much yet. Didn't realise it was an ankle one. Now I'm sulking...

06/09/2009 at 13:14
I think it was a post by you I read that made me get the GNR gear out to look at! What you gonna do?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2009 at 13:16

Laces, I think!

If they insist on mutilating me, I might have to put a big fabric plaster on my ankle first though.

If I see you in Newcastle, I'll show you the scar! It's dead obvious too.....

Just as well my ankle modelling days are behind me...

06/09/2009 at 13:27
I'll keep an eye out for you and your scar! The thing is, I quite like my ankles. And my comfy Bridgedale trainer socks. So the option is to hope the chip works from my lace, or find new socks asap...
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2009 at 13:33
I genuinely didn't notice all through the race that it had rubbed. It was only when I came to take it off I saw the blood and a pretty deep rub mark. The scabs kept getting knocked off and eventually it permanently scarred.

My socks are not especially short, its just that the chip will inevitably move on your ankle as you run and it bloody hurt!
06/09/2009 at 13:50
I dislike the ankle straps because they chafe me too. Haven't had to use one for a while, but I have in reserve a length of stretchy tube bandage and if I need to I'll place the chip strap over that.
06/09/2009 at 13:51
Although, come to think of it, laydeez, I've heard that fishnet stockings are very good at stopping the ankle strap from chafing.
06/09/2009 at 13:56

~just in from the GSR.

I usually thread the chip through my laces (as used to be the norm) but before the race began I was assured by the steward that it would not register my time and that I HAD to put it on my ankle.

so i did.

well my watch time of 1.27 will not unfortunately be official because my ankle was bleeding so much by 10 miles that I ripped it off (the chip not my ankle) and tossed it away.

stoooopid.

seren nos    pirate
06/09/2009 at 13:58

I remember reading the info on one that told you that they would cut your laces if you attached it to the laces instead of around the ankles............

there was no way i was going to have it around my ankles so i laced it..............I would have liked to have seen the marshall at the end who would be brave enough to cut my laces..........it only took me a minute to remove it at the finish..................

the triathlon ones use a differnt material like the wetsuit material and I find those ok.

1 to 20 of 63 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.