Chased by a goose.............any other funny stories?

21 to 35 of 35 messages
08/06/2011 at 20:19

Didn't involve me but a good friend of mine used to live up in the lakes,

Somewhere out on the trail a buzzard took issue with him and it swooped down and got it's talons in his head and drew blood, understandably he upped the pace but the thing followed him for a good 2 miles still screeching and diving at him, he tells me it was the quickest he ever did that 6 mile trail!!

08/06/2011 at 21:30
I remember someone saying they had been stopped by a landowner and informed that the right of way was only for walking on and not running and if he caught them again they would call the police. What a crank
08/06/2011 at 22:36

Had trouble with my lung capacity  constantly gasping and coughing whilst running,so i took out some balloons  on advice and started blowing them up when i was gasping. I kept on running in the field and thought i'd stop. I thought i'd be a bit discreet and go in a bush and do some heavy breathing and blow a few balloons when along came this woman and her son.

Needles to say i was as shocked as they were but at least they weren't too dissressed and didn't call the police. I on ther other hand ran off through the woods with my ballons.

08/06/2011 at 22:45

Bullocks.  A whole herd of them.  Or a troop, a gang, a trundle.....whatever.  There I was, minding my own business running through a local field (a new one I hadn't tried before).  I was about half way along the length of the field, sticking to the fence line because the gate I was aiming for was directly in front of me, when from a distance I saw a gaggle of heads nodding up over a false horizon.  On spotting me the pace quickened - theirs, not mine - and they started heading directly for me.  With both gates too far for me to reach and the bullocks getting faster and closer I had no choice but to leap the fence in to the neighbouring field - right in to the barbed wire and gorse bushes! 

I'm fairly certain those bullocks had it planned when they saw me aiming for their field.

09/06/2011 at 10:25
Crazy Diamond wrote (see)
Bullocks.

Yes indeed - cattle are no laughing matter. I managed to get between a cow and her calf years ago whilst running, and the bliddy thing charged me from behind and sent me flying. I landed in a heap of cow poo with cuts and bruises and a sore ankle. I've been nervous of cows ever since, and have been known to hide behind ladies on club runs.

10/06/2011 at 15:17

I told you Buzzards are tricky buggers!!

When buzzards attack!

11/06/2011 at 13:27
sometimes dogs but nothing else
11/06/2011 at 20:04

Once got chased by a load of teenagers in North London. Hilarious... However one of them kept going after all the others had dropped off and kept with me for about two miles. Good effort I thought 

11/06/2011 at 23:34

Not funny but I nearly ran over a homeless person under a bridge on the canal. All I saw was a sleeping bag rustling in a dark spot as I was running towards it.

Another time in the space of a week when out running  I was threatened with violence, propositioned in Hampstead Heath and attacked by a dog. Mad week. 

12/06/2011 at 16:40
Well that makes me feel bad, I used to go running on Hampstead Heath every other day for a few years and never once was propositioned!
14/06/2011 at 00:35

Last weekend I visited a friend who lives near Alton in Hampshire.

Whilst out for a run on Saturday morning a 4x4 flags me down whilst running, and the chap driving asked me where Alton Towers was, and then thought I was being funny when I told him it was the other side of Birmingham (approx 150 miles away!).

Mentioned it to my friend who said he has been asked this several times.

14/06/2011 at 06:49

Geese are particularly angry this time of year I have had a number of encounters with them this year, I’ve not been chased just hissed at and had a few rear up at me with wings spread, quite a scary sight!  I like running on canal towpaths and around lakes so I guess I have to put up with it.

A couple of weeks ago I was running across a car park by the River, when two geese became really angry making loads of noise wings spread going crazy.  Our paths were about to intercept on the car park and I was hoping this anger was not directed towards me.  I changed direction so I would end up running behind them, they were still going crazy.  Then I realised what they were up to on the far side of the car park there are mirrored offices, they were only squaring up to their own reflections when they got there they were pecking and trying to fight themselves.

It made me chuckle for the rest of my run.

14/06/2011 at 11:13
There's an area in Telford called Donnington (used to be home of a big army ordanance depot that used to catch fire every other year). I got asked several times where the race track or the airport was because people had come to Donnington rather than Castle Donington, home of Donington Park race circuit and East Midlands Airport. Apparently the taxi drivers at the station in Telford make good money from business people who arrive in Telford and then have to take a taxi the 50 miles to Castle Donington.
14/06/2011 at 11:45
I've had several of dogs suddenly appear alongside me and start running - the furthest I took one was about 2 miles and back again - it was a collie with boundless energy and I knew I was going out and back. By the time I got back to the house it had come from the owner was just coming to see where he'd been...

Also horses and the odd cow running in fields alongside the road that start running alongside me too.

Best was a hare - we get quite a lot round our way. It overtook me (well, I am a tortoise in comparison) on the road, but then kept stopping every 50 yards or so till I caught up, then took off again....we went on like that for about a mile until a car appeared and it took off into a field.
14/06/2011 at 11:53

This reminds me of my running mate the Shetland sheep.

I was on Shetland a couple of years ago. I went for a run, about eight miles, early on Sunday morning. Didn't see another human being. DID see a sheep that had somehow got through the fence and on to the road.

As I pounded along the poor (utterly stupid) thing panicked and assumed I was chasing it. So it took off up the road ahead of me. Not into the thousands of acres of nothingness to either side. No. It bustled along the road, looking over its shoulder every few yards to bleat pathetically.

This went on for a couple of miles, when more by accident than design it blundered into a wrecked old shelter and I thought that was the last I'd seen of it. I continued to the four-mile turnaround point, and started back. Saw the sheep nervously grazing by the shelter. Then it saw me, panicked, thought I was chasing it and yes...bustled off ahead of me, looking over its shoulder every few yards to bleat pathetically. For exactly the same two-mile stretch of road, until it suddenly recognised its mates and stopped at the fence to tell them all about it.

Sheep run at about 5.5 miles an hour, for future reference.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.