Cheap Overseas Running Trip

21 to 23 of 23 messages
10/01/2012 at 22:20
RunningCrazy do tours to lots of places with races and cheap flights so you could see where they go to - although having done Malta with their groups twice my own inclination would be to book with them rather than make the arrangements myself as they did a bloody good job of making sure you had a really great time and had nothing to worry about but the race itself.

Otherwise - The Berlin 25k is in May iirc and there are cheapish flights there and you can keep down accommodation costs by renting flats and sharing for a few days rather than booking hotels. It starts and finishes at the stadium and goes through the Brandenburg gate so routewise is a bit like a baby Berlin Marathon. But the support is quiet, it's not the big deal the marathon is.

Otherwise perhaps somewhere in eastern europe ? e.g the Poznan half is £9, flights from Luton £92 return, hostel accommodation from £10 a night (a clubmate ran the Poznan marathon last year so I just looked this all up now as a random example).
11/01/2012 at 14:55

I live near Brussels. There was a 10K race the week before Christmas and 25 runners from Blackheath & Bromley turned up and took away a few prizes. Great race underneath the Atomium monument.

The Brussels Marathon and Half Marathon are in the first week or so of October, are easy to get into, very keenly priced and there's approx. 3,000 in the full mara and about 7,500 in the HM. Brussels is just two hours drive from Calais (motorways the whole way) plus we have fantastic beer and cuisine over here. Or 2h20m from London on the Eurostar.

The city also copes very well with people who can't speak French or Dutch but are stuck on English, which might be an issue if you go a bit deeper into the continent.

17/01/2012 at 23:43
Fido and tricky cheers for these tips really fancy going to Berlin and won't be ready for marathon so may do October.brussells also sounds great excuse to get away and see the place.
Heard caen is quite good.may plump for that.
Did Kampala a in November a few years ago but wimped out of the marathon to do the 10k.was brilliant to be so close to some really quick Kenyans (though only on the start line)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.