cholesterol

running with high cholesterol

3 messages
06/08/2012 at 14:25

Dear Sir or Madam, I have been running for about 30 years, I found that I had high cholesrerol about 20 years ago, (between 5&6), I thought that I was managing it by a low fat diet but about a year ago I started to slow down (more than for my age) and I was getting pains in my arms, No body seemed to know what it was even the Doctors & Casualty- I was sent home all O K luckily my friend did & packed me off to the Cardiologist, I was told I needed a quadruple Heart bypass, I was kept in Pembury Hospital for a week then transfered to Kings where I had my op. I think that I was rather fortunate that my Friend knew what the doctors missed & I have written this to warn other runners of the dangers of high cholesterol.Lionel Stielow

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/08/2012 at 15:24

The two may not ncessarily be linked. My brother had to have a triple bypass and he has low cholesterol but a poor diet. I have naturally high cholesterol, which is managed by a combination of diet and a daily pill. A recent cardiogram during  a fitness exam showed my heart is in great shape.

07/08/2012 at 20:57

Hi Lionel. 

I recognise you as a familiar figure on the Kent road-race scene and we've spoken a couple of times before and after races. 

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'm sure all those miles of training will stand you in very good stead.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.